Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot forced to retire--Boo hoo! Freaking baby!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flydaplane

All I can say is that if this dude can't manually fly out of Vegas when he wants to (see highlighted paragraph) then he should have retired years ago. He's trying not to be bitter? The dude had 30 years to prepare for this. This stuff makes me sick!

Pilots forced into retirement as government ponders rule change

STEVE HARRISON

The Charlotte Observer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Pilot John Wolfe planned to stage a small protest when he retired from US Airways.
He wanted to exit his Boeing 757 in a wheelchair, then leap up and give his children and grandchildren and well-wishers hugs. His point? I am still a great pilot. I am healthy. I should not be forced into retirement at age 60.
"If you pick your day it's one thing, but when it's picked for you, it's really hard," said Paula Wolfe, John's wife and a US Airways flight attendant.
She worked his last flight, a trip from Las Vegas to Charlotte, and had planned the wheelchair gimmick. But US Airways got wind of it and nixed it.
The federal government has proposed allowing pilots to fly commercial airliners until they are 65, a change that's already taken place in most countries. In November, the International Civil Aviation Organization, a United Nations agency, set a standard of pilots being no older than 65. The rule affects all but four countries: the United States, France, Pakistan and Colombia.
Pilots nearing retirement have long lobbied for the change, but their protests have gotten louder after some have seen their pensions and salaries cut.
They say they need more time to work to make up for lost pay. They also argue the age 60 rule - imposed by the FAA in 1960 for safety reasons - is arbitrary and too early.
Though changes may be coming in a year or two, it's too late for pilots like Wolfe, who has been an airline pilot since 1978, when he was hired by Pacific Southwest Airlines. Wolfe and other pilots say any change wouldn't be retroactive, meaning they would have no right to get their old jobs back.
"I'm trying not to be too bitter," Wolfe said smiling.
Wolfe was greeted in Charlotte by a water cannon while taxiing to his gate. All of his passengers signed a picture of a US Airways plane. He and his family ate cake in the pilots lounge below Concourse C.
He said he has been worn down by heightened security measures, and by cuts in wages and benefits that came while US Airways went through two bankruptcies in the last four years. Like all US Airways pilots, he's upset that management hasn't restored some of their lost wages, now that the airline is making money.
"The things I'll miss? It was a good window seat - it's a good view up there," said Wolfe, who learned to fly in the Air Force and who flew in Vietnam. "I really liked the flying of the airplane. If I can get in four or five landings in a day, that's great."
Wolfe was perturbed that on his last flight he had to fly on autopilot after taking off from Las Vegas, in order to meet strict noise abatement rules.
But the last landing into Charlotte/Douglas was much better: Clear skies, the airport visible for 15 miles. No autopilot needed.
A nice way to go out.
His co-pilot that day was Randy Smith, who wasn't scheduled to fly. Smith and Wolfe are old friends, so Smith took a vacation day to accompany Wolfe cross country.
He also did it for himself. He turns 60 on March 12, so the recent flight with Wolfe helped him get his head around what's looming.
Smith said he would fly for US Airways until 65 if he could. Instead, he may fly corporate jets, which are governed by less strict rules.
Wolfe said he would like to keep flying until at least 62, when his Social Security kicks in. He plans to leave Charlotte, his home since 1993, and retire to Boulder City, Nev., where he has a house. Instead of flying corporate jets, he may get a job flying tourists to the Grand Canyon nearby.
"It's a day job, and I can be home by night," Wolfe said.
Ceremonies like Wolfe's are increasingly common at US Airways, where the average pilot has more than 22 years of experience, according to an airline spokeswoman.
US Airways Chief Executive Doug Parker has said a higher retirement age won't have a significant financial impact on his airline. Pilots at that age have already reached the top of the pay scale, though older pilots may need more sick time.
The airline has taken no position on the issue.

"He plans to leave Charlotte, his home since 1993, and retire to Boulder City, Nev., where he has a house."

So he needs extra time to make up money and pay for the extra vacation house? Hmmmm...and I live in a crashpad.

Give up the left seat pops....

There's a wonderful world full of things you can do BESIDES flying, while you still have a few good years left to enjoy them.

Seriously.

It is all about greed, and nothing else, more money for me. That's what it's all about. But, what I do believe it's even worse is for our own ALPA president to even entertain the idea of a change.

Not even a couple of months in office, and he has already divided the members more than any other time in the past. I guess the rumor of him becoming president so he can keep collecting a pay check past 60 is true.

The last survey from ALPA was very clear, almost 7 out 10 members don't want to change this rule. Why is Prater going against the will of the members. He needs to make another silly video stating that we as a group have spoken, WE DON'T WANT TO CHANGE THE AGE 60 RULE. If he doesn't do it, can we try to have him "recalled", or ask for his resignation.

All I can say is that if this dude can't manually fly out of Vegas when he wants to (see highlighted paragraph) then he should have retired years ago.

The procedures at my airline REQUIRE an RNAV departure to be flown on the autopilot. Every departure I've ever done out of Vegas has been an RNAV departure. I fail to see your argument. Sorry.

"He plans to leave Charlotte, his home since 1993, and retire to Boulder City, Nev., where he has a house."

So he needs extra time to make up money and pay for the extra vacation house? Hmmmm...and I live in a crashpad.

Scenic is probably hiring. He can hand fly all he wants with 19 puking asians in the back!

The procedures at my airline REQUIRE an RNAV departure to be flown on the autopilot. Every departure I've ever done out of Vegas has been an RNAV departure. I fail to see your argument. Sorry.

What? Were they going to fire him for not using the autopilot?

I love it how the FAA is working on changing the retirement age to 65 because its the politically correct thing to do. Never mind working on important issues like the outdated rest rules that the NTSB has wanted changed for years.

I guess its more important to let the half dead old farts fly for an extra 5 years than to take on the serious issues that actually involve safety!!

Latest resources

Back