Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really??

I didn't become anti-union until I got repeatedly screwed over by unions that I wasn't even a part of. I have yet to see where ANY union, especially in aviation, has made any carrier stronger. All I've seen is repeated failures by union leadership to support anything but their own membership at the expense of all the non-union workers and the overall health of the carrier. This cost to support the union takes away from infrastructure and the ability to retain talented employees that allow the carrier to run smoothly.

Then how do you explain the success that is going on at Net Jets? They have record profits, are purchasing NEW aircraft, hiring, and are attracting new owners at a high rate. You must be the screwup that brings it upon yourself. Duh!!

It's the pilots who "REALLY make things happen." Typical management attitude, you spend so much of your time in the office that you've lost all perspective. Without the pilots nothing anyone, managers, schedulers, or dispatchers do in the office matters. You are their to support us and in the case of Flight Options that support was severely lacking so we formed a union to support each other. Nothing more nothing less. You can spin it however you want Bob, but that's really all it's about.

I don't know about the internal workings of Options but I do understand the industry, and that’s the most egotistical and disrespectful thing you could possibly write as a pilot.

Pilots are not the only ones with an earned certificate that has paid their dues building their experience. If the clerk doesn’t pay the fuel bill, you don’t get fuel and pilots don’t fly. If the fueler doesn’t fuel the airplane, pilots don’t fly. If the mechanic doesn’t repair and sign off the airplane as airworthy, pilots don’t fly. In 121, a dispatcher doesn’t do the flight release, pilots don’t fly. If management doesn’t work finances of the airline every day, then the airline doesn’t fly. If marketing doesn’t bring new customers and sales doesn’t sell airplanes, pilots don’t fly. Every single job at an air carrier is equally important, yet it is nearly always the pilot’s union that throws the wrench into an otherwise perfectly good company and places the carrier at financial risk.

There are rare exceptions such as at Eastern where the primary issue was with the mechanics, but when was the last time you heard of a dispatcher’s union holding a work action preventing an airline from flying? Or a fueler, or ground support, or administrative or sales or marketing? They are all equally important and have a given responsibility to get the job done right to protect the pilots and passengers on each and every flight. Yet when the pilot’s union decides to hold the rest of the company hostage for what THEY believe is right, they forget that they are hurting all of those people that support them each and every flight. When the company is forced into bankruptcy or to take cuts elsewhere, it’s those support people that are hurt as well as the health of the company.

Yes, I’m former management, but it will always frost my butt that union leadership and those that drink the Kool-Aid and don’t have the ability to see the entire picture. The people they hurt are the exact people that protect there butts each and every day. I’m not saying that the wages and work rules don’t need to be fair for pilots because in the non-union airline I work they are. What union leadership considers FAIR for pilots means there WILL be a compromise for the rest of the company to stay financially solvent and get the job done in the best manner for all involved. The money is better spent on doing the best for the entire company, not just the pilots, to provide the best infrastructure possible to protect those people that are in the airplanes everyday. In return, the company stays healthy and everybody’s job is secure.

I haven't lost my perspective, I understand the big picture. After what you wrote, it's clear that you don't.

EVERBODY IS NEEDED, NOT JUST PILOTS.

I like my safe, dependable and secure non union company.

Then how do you explain the success that is going on at Net Jets? They have record profits, are purchasing NEW aircraft, hiring, and are attracting new owners at a high rate. You must be the screwup that brings it upon yourself. Duh!!

ANY profit at NJ is a record profit isn't it?

I didn't become anti-union until I got repeatedly screwed over by unions that I wasn't even a part of. I have yet to see where ANY union, especially in aviation, has made any carrier stronger. All I've seen is repeated failures by union leadership to support anything but their own membership at the expense of all the non-union workers and the overall health of the carrier. This cost to support the union takes away from infrastructure and the ability to retain talented employees that allow the carrier to run smoothly. In reality, when pilots complain because "management can't do anything right" it is usually because the funds required to provide support are going into the CBA instead of those employees that REALLY make things happen. Kicking me in the nuts does nothing more than provide proof that my employment by a non-union carrier is the best think I ever did for my career. Be careful what you ask for.

Well sport you are just slap full of contradictions aren't you!!

"I didn't become anti-union until I got repeatedly screwed over by unions that I wasn't even a part of." A wise man once explained to me that the process of Union formation and the negotiation of a first CBA was nothing less the wrestling unilateral power out of managements hands and forcing it to be shared with the bargaining group. I guess since you were not a part of the Union you must have been involved somewhere on managements side of the power equation. And I can see from a management prospective that you felt like you were screwed because that old nasty pilots Union took away all you power, you no longer had the ability to exersize total power over those hot sh!t pilots.... Get over it.:bawling:

"I have yet to see where ANY union, especially in aviation, has made any carrier stronger." Well.....what about NetJets. I believe that they have had a record year since settling their contract. Or did that little fact just slip you mind???? Get Over It. :bawling:

"All I've seen is repeated failures by union leadership to support anything but their own membership at the expense of all the non-union workers and the overall health of the carrier. This cost to support the union takes away from infrastructure and the ability to retain talented employees that allow the carrier to run smoothly. " The Union is supposed to support the interest of their members, thats why the Union was formed. If the other employee groups wish to no longer be continually screwed by management then they to should organize to protect their interest. In light of what we have seen form the major carriers and the outrageous compensation packages paid to management while forcing all other employees to take huge pay cuts is what is truly criminal. I guess thats what you mean by retaining talented employees, the pilots and every other employee group should suffer and accept the horse sh!t that management wants to lay on us to save money to pay for more management. Well let me tell you something, your carriers will not run without equally as talented professionals sitting in the pointy ends of our jets. We deserve every penny and more for what we do. If Our CEO and his pack of boys have to make a little less to contribute to the betterment of out pilot group, so be it. Share the power and the money..... Get over it.:bawling:

"In reality, when pilots complain because "management can't do anything right" it is usually because the funds required to provide support are going into the CBA instead of those employees that REALLY make things happen." Our management has been screwing up and been unable to get things right for years and guess what, NO CBA. Management has grown for years layer after layer and yet they continue to screw it up and continue to prey on the well being of the pilot group. This is exactly what brought a Union to our company. We are no longer content to sit and watch incompetent management screw up on a daily basis and expect the pilots to take the heat for it and make up for their mistakes. We are no longer going to sit and watch as a incompetent management destroys our working conditions, quality of life, and our pay and benefits. A CBA is exactly what we need to establish what we expect from management and what management can expect from us. A CBA will establish a sharing of power and give the pilots a say in how this company operates.....GET OVER IT!!!:bawling:

"Kicking me in the nuts does nothing more than provide proof that my employment by a non-union carrier is the best think I ever did for my career. Be careful what you ask for." When people like you spew that holier then thou, all knowing, all important, managements sh!t don't stink crap you deserve to be kicked in the nuts. I'm glad that you are happy at your non union carrier, but I have a prediction. If your carrier is large enough to support the Unionization process, its just a matter of time before happens. Your attitude is exactly what will be the catalyst that brings it about. I guess that when that happens and you again have to give up your management utopia and share power with and bunch of people that are just "employees, you will feel like you were screwed again....GET OVER IT!!!:bawling:

Last edited:
Well sport you are just slap full of contradictions aren't you!!

"I didn't become anti-union until I got repeatedly screwed over by unions that I wasn't even a part of." A wise man once explained to me that the process of Union formation and the negotiation of a first CBA was nothing less the wrestling unilateral power out of managements hands and forcing it to be shared with the bargaining group. I guess since you were not a part of the Union you must have been involved somewhere on managements side of the power equation. And I can see from a management prospective that you felt like you were screwed because that old nasty pilots Union took away all you power, you no longer had the ability to exersize total power over those hot sh!t pilots.... Get over it.:bawling:

"I have yet to see where ANY union, especially in aviation, has made any carrier stronger." Well.....what about NetJets. I believe that they have had a record year since settling their contract. Or did that little fact just slip you mind???? Get Over It. :bawling:

"All I've seen is repeated failures by union leadership to support anything but their own membership at the expense of all the non-union workers and the overall health of the carrier. This cost to support the union takes away from infrastructure and the ability to retain talented employees that allow the carrier to run smoothly. " The Union is supposed to support the interest of their members, thats why the Union was formed. If the other employee groups wish to no longer be continually screwed by management then they to should organize to protect their interest. In light of what we have seen form the major carriers and the outrageous compensation packages paid to management while forcing all other employees to take huge pay cuts is what is truly criminal. I guess thats what you mean by retaining talented employees, the pilots and every other employee group should suffer and accept the horse sh!t that management wants to lay on us to save money to pay for more management. Well let me tell you something, your carriers will not run without equally as talented professionals sitting in the pointy ends of our jets. We deserve every penny and more for what we do. If Our CEO and his pack of boys have to make a little less to contribute to the betterment of out pilot group, so be it. Share the power and the money..... Get over it.:bawling:

"In reality, when pilots complain because "management can't do anything right" it is usually because the funds required to provide support are going into the CBA instead of those employees that REALLY make things happen." Our management has been screwing up and been unable to get things right for years and guess what, NO CBA. Management has grown for years layer after layer and yet they continue to screw it up and continue to prey on the well being of the pilot group. This is exactly what brought a Union to our company. We are no longer content to sit and watch incompetent management screw up on a daily basis and expect the pilots to take the heat for it and make up for their mistakes. We are no longer going to sit and watch as a incompetent management destroys our working conditions, quality of life, and our pay and benefits. A CBA is exactly what we need to establish what we expect from management and what management can expect from us. A CBA will establish a sharing of power and give the pilots a say in how this company operates.....GET OVER IT!!!:bawling:

"Kicking me in the nuts does nothing more than provide proof that my employment by a non-union carrier is the best think I ever did for my career. Be careful what you ask for." When people like you spew that holier then thou, all knowing, all important, managements sh!t don't stink crap you deserve to be kicked in the nuts. I'm glad that you are happy at your non union carrier, but I have a prediction. If your carrier is large enough to support the Unionization process, its just a matter of time before happens. Your attitude is exactly what will be the catalyst that brings it about. I guess that when that happens and you again have to give up your management utopia and share power with and bunch of people that are just "employees, you will feel like you were screwed again....GET OVER IT!!!:bawling:

Have another glass of Kool-Aid and don't spike it this time.. remember, it's 8 hours bottle to throttle...

"All Support Employees"?

Then why is it that Flight Options Mangaement has attacked the pilot group since the vote in March 06 and not the other empolyee groups?

What flavor KOOL AID are you drinking?

8 hours or 8 feet!

Have another glass of Kool-Aid and don't spike it this time.. remember, it's 8 hours bottle to throttle...

I don't kow who you think I am GerryG, but I was hired as an original RTA guy, now a FLOPPER.

I drive one of the Hawkers, my only office is in the pointy end of the aircraft.

Maybe you e-mailed me by mistake, maybe not, but whatever the case, you are sure making the point.

All is not well here.

Iron man,

I think you misread my post, I was talking about B19/Bob not you. As for e-mail, unless I pushed the wrong button, I don't think I've sent one to you. Either way I hope that clears it up.

I don't know about the internal workings of Options but I do understand the industry, and that’s the most egotistical and disrespectful thing you could possibly write as a pilot.

Pilots are not the only ones with an earned certificate that has paid their dues building their experience. If the clerk doesn’t pay the fuel bill, you don’t get fuel and pilots don’t fly. If the fueler doesn’t fuel the airplane, pilots don’t fly. If the mechanic doesn’t repair and sign off the airplane as airworthy, pilots don’t fly. In 121, a dispatcher doesn’t do the flight release, pilots don’t fly. If management doesn’t work finances of the airline every day, then the airline doesn’t fly. If marketing doesn’t bring new customers and sales doesn’t sell airplanes, pilots don’t fly. Every single job at an air carrier is equally important, yet it is nearly always the pilot’s union that throws the wrench into an otherwise perfectly good company and places the carrier at financial risk.

There are rare exceptions such as at Eastern where the primary issue was with the mechanics, but when was the last time you heard of a dispatcher’s union holding a work action preventing an airline from flying? Or a fueler, or ground support, or administrative or sales or marketing? They are all equally important and have a given responsibility to get the job done right to protect the pilots and passengers on each and every flight. Yet when the pilot’s union decides to hold the rest of the company hostage for what THEY believe is right, they forget that they are hurting all of those people that support them each and every flight. When the company is forced into bankruptcy or to take cuts elsewhere, it’s those support people that are hurt as well as the health of the company.

Yes, I’m former management, but it will always frost my butt that union leadership and those that drink the Kool-Aid and don’t have the ability to see the entire picture. The people they hurt are the exact people that protect there butts each and every day. I’m not saying that the wages and work rules don’t need to be fair for pilots because in the non-union airline I work they are. What union leadership considers FAIR for pilots means there WILL be a compromise for the rest of the company to stay financially solvent and get the job done in the best manner for all involved. The money is better spent on doing the best for the entire company, not just the pilots, to provide the best infrastructure possible to protect those people that are in the airplanes everyday. In return, the company stays healthy and everybody’s job is secure.

I haven't lost my perspective, I understand the big picture. After what you wrote, it's clear that you don't.

EVERBODY IS NEEDED, NOT JUST PILOTS.

I like my safe, dependable and secure non union company.

It's clear to me that you like your "safe, dependable" management position, where you get to bend your non-union pilots to your will on a daily basis, you sir have gone over to the dark side. If you were at one time a pilot, those days are long gone. I'm glad you are happy where you are, why not stay out of our business, remain there and revel in bliss? Why do you devote so much time to your efforts on this message board? If you have no stake in our fight at FLOPS why poke your nose into it? I have my suspicions...and so does everyone else who reads this message board.

Latest resources

Back