• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me rephrase my statement. The union didn't act until the carrier was on the edge of bankruptcy. The financial situation didn't happen overnight, it never does. The union ALWAYS waits until the carrier is financially drained before acting, even when the writing is already on the wall as it was early in 2001. Instead of acting with with the best interest of the carrier and the employees the union represents, they would rather wait until the rank and file employees go through several layoffs, a hiring freeze and furloughs. Then, the carrier is forced to use a tool such as bankruptcy to reduce labor costs to a point where the carrier can survive.

Oh, and as far as the seven year old info, that was only to point out that the industry was hurting LONG before 9/11. But the unions as always failed to act.

We've covered this FUD before. As usual you want to pin the blame solely on the unions.

Would you care to refresh everyones memory as to why Don Carty resigned?

Hey B19, please tell me when mgmt ever took a pay cut to help out? You are a real f n tool.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/31/AR2006053100892.html

Delta's pilots, the only unionized work group at the airline, were the last employees to agree to concessions. The airline's flight attendants, baggage handlers and customer service agents have agreed to cuts of 7 percent to 9 percent. The airline's salaried employees agreed to a 9 percent cut. Delta's senior officers took a 15 percent pay reduction and chief executive Gerald Grinstein's pay was reduced by 25 percent.

By ERIC DASH (NYT)
Published: December 16, 2004
Gerald A. Grinstein, the chief executive of Delta Air Lines, said yesterday that he would accept a salary of $450,000 in 2005 after giving up half of his $500,000 yearly pay in 2004 as the company staves off bankruptcy. Delta said Mr. Grinstein's $500,000 salary would remain the same, but he would take a 10 percent pay cut along with all other executives and salaried workers. Delta's pilots, the airline's only unionized labor group, accepted a 32.5 percent pay reduction in November. In September, Mr. Grinstein said that he would "lead the way" by forgoing $125,000, or the final three months of his salary, as the airline announced plans to cut $5 billion in costs and eliminate as many as 7,000 jobs through 2006.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9501E6DE1430F935A25751C1A9629C8B63

Delta said Mr. Grinstein also declined $125,000 in pay during the first quarter of 2004, but did not disclose the pay reduction at the time. Eric Dash (NYT)

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003-12-24-delta-bonuses_x.htm

Delta cancels exec bonuses for 2003
ATLANTA (AP) — Delta Air Lines is canceling executive bonuses for this year and reconsidering its entire compensation program for high-ranking officials as it works to allay lingering employee resentment over lavish pay and perks for top executives.

We've covered this FUD before. As usual you want to pin the blame solely on the unions.

Would you care to refresh everyones memory as to why Don Carty resigned?

It is well known that he made a mistake. But he has also gone on to great success elsewhere and is currently the Vice Chairman and CFO at Dell, not to mention serving as Chairman at Virgin America.

Unions can't stand talented people.

Oh, and unions aren't the root of all evil because they have had there place in America. But last I knew, pilots don't emerge out of coal mines and steel mills. The government has oversight of many of the original items that organized labor as created to protect. Quality of life issues for those folks didn't include six figure salaries and 10 days or more off a month. They organized for survival during a time where government oversight barely existed.

But last I knew, pilots don't emerge out of coal mines and steel mills.

Funny you should say that as my background is very similar to those industries. I wanted something better for myself - something where I might earn some respect. Boy did I pick wrong!

I have never felt more like a disposable asset than I do at FLOPs. This is the root of the current labor dispute. You piss of your labor and they'll either rise up to fight back or leave. Both are happening now!

Let's not talk about kicking someone when they are down either. We are already making the lowest wages in the industry and we get another kick in the nuts - a health insurance increase. Again, my cost of living increase for giving another year of my life to this company is whittled away...

Stop trying to blame the pilots and the union for the state of FLOPs. If things will ever be made right, it will have to come from the arrogant group of 'leaders' at FLOPs.

It is well known that he made a mistake.

Yes......A big greedy mistake that was the root cause for the breakdown of negotiations.

Wrong. Unions love capable dynamic leaders. They hate untalented hacks, like Shrinka and babu. Let's face it, any dolt can freeze pay and slash benefits to save money. It takes a talented leader to turn a company around without completely demoralizing the workforce.

Oh, and unions aren't the root of all evil because they have had there place in America. But last I knew, pilots don't emerge out of coal mines and steel mills. The government has oversight of many of the original items that organized labor as created to protect. Quality of life issues for those folks didn't include six figure salaries and 10 days or more off a month. They organized for survival during a time where government oversight barely existed.

Coal Miners and Mill workers? You really are reaching this time.

Last edited:

You are completely wrong. Unions can't stand people like yourself. The irony is, that if you were a dues paying member, we would still represent you to the best of our abilities. Your broad generalizations are becoming tiresome.

As a matter of fact, we at NetJets just hired a new Director of Training who has made some extremely positive changes. The pilots and union leadership are impressed with him thus far.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/31/AR2006053100892.htmlDelta's pilots, the only unionized work group at the airline, were the last employees to agree to concessions.

Obviously the pilots would be the last to agree to concessions. They were the only ones that agreed to anything. Since they were the only unionized work group at the airline, the other work groups simply had their pay cuts imposed on them. Management didn't require their assent. What a complete idiot you are B19.

Obviously the pilots would be the last to agree to concessions. They were the only ones that agreed to anything. Since they were the only unionized work group at the airline, the other work groups simply had their pay cuts imposed on them. Management didn't require their assent. What a complete idiot you are B19.

Now don't go confusing that management apologist with logic and facts. And please don't try to show him examples of management ineptitude - it just confounds him further.

Delta also had the fewest "forced" layoffs of rank and file employees than any other comparable carrier. On top of that, they held their jobs longer before they were laid off.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back