NWA Position Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fuel to the fire

10 yrs at Eagle...AA could care less...even when hiring.....3 weeks after online app, NWA calls.

1OK tt
7k TPIC
2 TYPES

I think it is the kiss of death to work for a "owned" regional, if you want the mainline.

I totally feel you pain as I worked for Eagle for several years. AMR did not like to take from Eagle if they could avoid it. The rub is that I simply understand it...they are a business, nothing more nothing less. Your post is very dramatic and passionate but myopic. Do not feel bad as most of us feel that way. It is not a plot against you personally but rather an attempt to control costs.

The airlines are aware that almost all of the regionals turn out great experience regardless if you fly out of MSP or ORD. The items you mention specifically can be taught in a very simple fashion or learned on the line by your captain at xyz airline.

Pilots benefit much more from being pragmatic rather than passionate.

Juice

Donvag Wrote "Its all about attitude and how you present yourself."

Donvag is exactly right your attitude determines your altitude.:) However you need to be called for the interview before you can display your positive attitude.

Now I realize the error of my ways. I figured that Northwest Airlines would want to hire experienced pilots that know the Memphis, Minneapolis, and Detriot hubs like the back of their hand.

I figured Northwest Airlines would want to hire pilots that have experience with world flight. Pilots that understand the Max Gross Load closeout(MGL).

Pilots that understand that RTOG does not stand for Runway Takeoff Gross but rather Regulatory Takeoff Gross which is the most restrictive of the Structural Limit, Runway Limit and Climb Limit.

Pilots that understand that XTOG maX Take Off Gross is the most restrictive of the RTOG, Landing Limit, Max Zero Fuel Weight Limit, Max Ramp Weight Limit, and Flight Plan Limit.

However for the Mesaba and Pinnacle pilot to get an interview with NWA it is not about flight hours of experience. It is not about Part 121 experience with in the NWA system. It is not about their attitude. It's not about all their connections or how many sponsors.

This is about NWA's problem of small jet feed. Right now their small jet feed is vulnerable until they get Mesaba and Compass up and fully operational.

Like Mesaba had during the bankruptcy process, we are having a mass exodus of pilots. They are leaveing any way they can. Pinnacle has payed fines to NWA because we are canceling our flights due to lack of crews.

So I must admit I was little wet behind the ears to wait for NWA to call. I've had years of observeing what they do. I see what they are doing now and how they are positioning the chess pieces. I am not going to be checkmated into having the rest of my career here. Yet I will serve the customers to the best of my skill and ability while I am working under the NWA brand.

I undestand about why a company wouldn't want to hire from its sister company. it obvioulsly hurts the bottom line.

The interesting thing is that they are separate companies and both EEOC employers.

An employer would love to do many things to imporver thier bottom line, but there are various laws in place to prevent this.

Looking at the reports from people on this board, if NWA is not intervieving otherwise qualified pilots from Champion, Mesaba, and Pinnacle, it sure sounds like the EEOC would like to hear about this!

Now I realize the error of my ways. I figured that Northwest Airlines would want to hire experienced pilots that know the Memphis, Minneapolis, and Detriot hubs like the back of their hand.

I figured Northwest Airlines would want to hire pilots that have experience with world flight. Pilots that understand the Max Gross Load closeout(MGL).

Do you think NWA cares do you know the different taxi routes out of DTW or the deicing procedures in MSP?? Squat!! All they care is the bottom line. If you've worked for the redtail family, you'll know what i mean.

To respond to another question about new hire base, we were told ANC 747-200, DTW DC9 will be the slots in the upcoming months. Rumors are A-320 will also be available very soon. Slots are assigned by age, so if you're the young guys in your class, better bring your hunting gear and kiss goodbye to your free night minutes on your cellphone. Good thing is, you may be able to bid off it before you even finish training, and there'll be a MSP 47-200 base opening up in 2009, but who knows if it'll become reality.

Hope it helped.

thanx. what were the ages in your class? When do you find out your base and equipment? Im 27 and if I get ANC unfortunately im going to have to turn the job down.

thanx. what were the ages in your class? When do you find out your base and equipment? Im 27 and if I get ANC unfortunately im going to have to turn the job down.

You wont find out till a few days into class. IF you get ANC you can trade out of it before you finish training so you may only have to go to ANC for a month before you start training again on a different plane. I will just have turned 27 when i start class so i fully expect to be going to ANC and will just deal with it till i change aircraft. Just because you get ANC doesnt mean you have to stay. Food for thought. When is your class? My class was told to expect dc9/bus fo or 747fe in anc.
Good Luck on your decisions.

Last edited:

You aren't going to know your official base and equipment until you are sitting in class.

In other words, you'll have to turn the job down after you are there.

As the other poster said, being 27, the chances of ANC for you are higher I would think.

Now for my soapbox: You are going to turn the job down because you might have to commute to ANC for a couple of months?? Boo-frickin-hoo.

Last edited:
10 yrs at Eagle...AA could care less...even when hiring.....3 weeks after online app, NWA calls.

1OK tt
7k TPIC
2 TYPES

I think it is the kiss of death to work for a "owned" regional, if you want the mainline.

...and do you have a 4 year degree?

Its all about attitude and how you present yourself. I work in a company where many 5k + captain are still here. When I was an F/O these guys complained how they didnt get on with Southwest and they have so much experience but then you saw their personality and you knew why. They didnt have that happy go luck attitude SW wanted. I know of captains that got hired by a major with 3k only because they had great attitudes. To this day I dislike to fly with crews from that particular base because of their attitudes.

You forgot to mention literacy level....

;)

Latest resources

Back