• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Position Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got some PCL stink on me but would quit in a heartbeat if it would make a difference. I thought it would help me for an NWA follow-on and now just hope it wasn't a BIG MISTAKE...

that champion guy started the process pre-911,i.e.had his 1st interview aug,01,there are about 40-50 champion guys and girls with stuff into big red,who havn't heard word one. Thank you Occam for the help.

I work for Pinnacle and had my NWA application in on day one, with a sponsor. I know I have talked to at least a dozen of my fellow employees and it is the same story they have their application in with NWA and none have been called. I have plenty of cirucumstantial evidence.

Meanwhile I'm bringing Express Jet guys and US Airways Express guys to MSP for their second stage interview, no sponsors. The question I ask them is "do you know of any Pinnacle or Mesaba guys that were there at the interview?" I've found not one yet.

To further add to my pile of feild intelligence, Pinnacle guys hired at Jet Blue say that Pinnacle called Jet Blue and asked them not to hire any more of our guys because Pinnacle is having trouble with staffing. So....If Pinnacle asked Jet Blue then surely they asked NWA.

I also know a Pinnacle guy that was hired to JetBlue and then was called for an interview at NWA but only after he left Pinnacle.

I'm just steamed about it. It's good for you guys that have been hired, congradulations. But it is just frustrating from where I'm sitting.

So all you Pinnacle and Mesaba guys out there if you really want to be at NWA, leave now and get hired after you have been some where else. Do it before any more senority passes you by.

So if any one reading this post is from Mesaba or Pinnacle, have been called for even an interview, and were not a previous hire at NWA please speak up.

Likewise if you do work at Mesaba or Pinnacle and have your application in but have not been called please also speak up. I suspect you are in the majority.

I understand why NWA would not want to weaken their small jet feed any more than it is.

This also illustrates why we need some better method of carreer progression in the industry.

Last edited:
I work for Pinnacle and had my NWA application in on day one, with a sponsor. I know I have talked to at least a dozen of my fellow employees and it is the same story they have their application in with NWA and none have been called. I have plenty of cirucumstantial evidence.

Meanwhile I'm bringing Express Jet guys and US Airways Express guys to MSP for their second stage interview, no sponsors. The question I ask them is "do you know of any Pinnacle or Mesaba guys that were there at the interview?" I've found not one yet.

To further add to my pile of feild intelligence, Pinnacle guys hired at Jet Blue say that Pinnacle called Jet Blue and asked them not to hire any more of our guys because Pinnacle is having trouble with staffing. So....If Pinnacle asked Jet Blue then surely they asked NWA.

I also know a Pinnacle guy that was hired to JetBlue and then was called for an interview at NWA but only after he left Pinnacle.

I'm just steamed about it. It's good for you guys that have been hired, congradulations. But it is just frustrating from where I'm sitting.

So all you Pinnacle and Mesaba guys out there if you really want to be at NWA, leave now and get hired after you have been some where else. Do it before any more senority passes you by.

So if any one reading this post is from Mesaba or Pinnacle, have been called for even an interview, and were not a previous hire at NWA please speak up.

Likewise if you do work at Mesaba or Pinnacle and have your application in but have not been called please also speak up. I suspect you are in the majority.

I understand why NWA would not want to weaken their small jet feed any more than it is.

This also illustrates why we need some better method of carreer progression in the industry.

Spot on... NWA called me for an interview after I left 9E for another carrier. But during the interview, they were more interested in my tenure at 9E more than my current carrier.

Here at Mesaba it's the same story. No XJ pilots are getting interviewed at NWA. I have a good pulse on pilot hiring at NWA with multiple contacts including pilots "in the know" and senior management and even some HR folks themselves. Unfortunately, when it comes to talking about getting an interview the HR folks won't give me the time of day! Although I've never been able to confirm it, I've heard of only one person at Mesaba that has been interviewed and allegedly hired at NWA (other than the Pre 9/11 hires.)

It is very frustrating to say the least. There are a lot of experienced folks with solid qualifications and no skeletons in their closets that are NOT getting an interview. However, I think we all understand what is going on. Whether or not it is legal and/or ethical is for each to determine.

Its all about attitude and how you present yourself. I work in a company where many 5k + captain are still here. When I was an F/O these guys complained how they didnt get on with Southwest and they have so much experience but then you saw their personality and you knew why. They didnt have that happy go luck attitude SW wanted. I know of captains that got hired by a major with 3k only because they had great attitudes. To this day I dislike to fly with crews from that particular base because of their attitudes.

I applied for NW and go the email for further info they need from me. Do any of you guys know what they are hiring into? What are the junior bases? DTW? I live close to LGA and I could do the DTW commute but ANC is a definately no-go. Does anyone know how long you have to be in the DC9? How senior are the intl' trips on the A330 going?

Donvag Wrote "Its all about attitude and how you present yourself."

Donvag is exactly right your attitude determines your altitude.:) However you need to be called for the interview before you can display your positive attitude.

Now I realize the error of my ways. I figured that Northwest Airlines would want to hire experienced pilots that know the Memphis, Minneapolis, and Detriot hubs like the back of their hand.

I figured Northwest Airlines would want to hire pilots that have experience with world flight. Pilots that understand the Max Gross Load closeout(MGL).

Pilots that understand that RTOG does not stand for Runway Takeoff Gross but rather Regulatory Takeoff Gross which is the most restrictive of the Structural Limit, Runway Limit and Climb Limit.

Pilots that understand that XTOG maX Take Off Gross is the most restrictive of the RTOG, Landing Limit, Max Zero Fuel Weight Limit, Max Ramp Weight Limit, and Flight Plan Limit.

However for the Mesaba and Pinnacle pilot to get an interview with NWA it is not about flight hours of experience. It is not about Part 121 experience with in the NWA system. It is not about their attitude. It's not about all their connections or how many sponsors.

This is about NWA's problem of small jet feed. Right now their small jet feed is vulnerable until they get Mesaba and Compass up and fully operational.

Like Mesaba had during the bankruptcy process, we are having a mass exodus of pilots. They are leaveing any way they can. Pinnacle has payed fines to NWA because we are canceling our flights due to lack of crews.

So I must admit I was little wet behind the ears to wait for NWA to call. I've had years of observeing what they do. I see what they are doing now and how they are positioning the chess pieces. I am not going to be checkmated into having the rest of my career here. Yet I will serve the customers to the best of my skill and ability while I am working under the NWA brand.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back