• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Position Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to change the subject. Has anyone had the NW physical yet? I am going in Dec and would appreciate any information.

Looking forward flying the Red Tail real soon.

Heyas,

Most of the above information is correct.

New hires have no seat lock. You may bid on, and be awarded anything you can hold, and awards come out every month (around the 20th). Beware, however, that the seatlocks for same category (say 320 to 757) aircraft are punative (4 years).

Some may suggest that you hold off bidding new equipment until off of probation. It keeps your head below the ridgeline.

I'm not too sure about that dogma, but it would probably not be a bad idea to go fly the line for a bit in what you get assigned. Some of the fleets aren't set up for new hires as well as the DC-9, but YMMV.

If it were me, I'd take the AC I was assigned and stick with it for a year. It gets you off probation, and let's you take a REALLY good look around to see what you like and don't like before you commit 4 years to a specific airplane.

Note, the seatlock only applies to seat/equipment, not to base or status. You can bounce around bases and/or block/reserve every month if you like. Just remember permanent bids are done 3.5 months in advance.

No bidders for the ANC SO reserve. There is no telling about the FO position because the awards for that position are somewhat irregular. You could get 10 one month, and none for 6 months.

Nu

Heyas,

Most of the above information is correct.

New hires have no seat lock. You may bid on, and be awarded anything you can hold, and awards come out every month (around the 20th). Beware, however, that the seatlocks for same category (say 320 to 757) aircraft are punative (4 years).

Some may suggest that you hold off bidding new equipment until off of probation. It keeps your head below the ridgeline.

I'm not too sure about that dogma, but it would probably not be a bad idea to go fly the line for a bit in what you get assigned. Some of the fleets aren't set up for new hires as well as the DC-9, but YMMV.

If it were me, I'd take the AC I was assigned and stick with it for a year. It gets you off probation, and let's you take a REALLY good look around to see what you like and don't like before you commit 4 years to a specific airplane.

Note, the seatlock only applies to seat/equipment, not to base or status. You can bounce around bases and/or block/reserve every month if you like. Just remember permanent bids are done 3.5 months in advance.

No bidders for the ANC SO reserve. There is no telling about the FO position because the awards for that position are somewhat irregular. You could get 10 one month, and none for 6 months.

Nu

Thanks for the info!!

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. ...or three...of four.

It was mentioned previously that it wouldn't take too long to be a blockholder on the DC-9. How long would it take specifically? 3 Months? 1 Year? Any ideas?

Reserve guys get 11/12 days off a month. How many days off are blockholders guaranteed?

What's flying the DC-9 like? What type of features or functions does the autopilot have? (How do guys fly it). How much is it typically hand flown? Does it have a flight director?

Thanks guys. I start class in a week or so.

Eric

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Reserve guys get 11/12 days off a month. How many days off are blockholders guaranteed?

12-15 days typically, depending on low or high credit.

What's flying the DC-9 like? What type of features or functions does the autopilot have? (How do guys fly it). How much is it typically hand flown? Does it have a flight director?

2-5 legs a day. Usually a 2 hour airport sit on half your days on, with a 12 plus hour duty day. (sucks) No altitude level off, VOR navigation, you'll love it! about 300 F/O's or so. Hnd flown depends on crew. Bar type flight director.

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. ...or three...of four.

It was mentioned previously that it wouldn't take too long to be a blockholder on the DC-9. How long would it take specifically? 3 Months? 1 Year? Any ideas?

Thanks guys. I start class in a week or so.

Eric

Heyas Eric,

DISCLAIMER: Any of this can change at a moments notice.

By the time you make it to the line, you should be able to hold a line anywhere except MSP. About 25 block awards in MSP per month, so it will only be 2-3 months to hold a line there.

Blockholders are not guaranteed anything specific. You decide that when you bid every month by channging your credit window (Min, normal or Max) and by the types of trips you bid.

You won't like the -9 if your idea of hand flying is turning the heading knob or the VS wheel or if you are lost without a moving map.

Old school all the way.

Nu

Thanks NuGuy and nwaredtail,
So if I'm understanding this correctly....hand flown up to altitude (level off on my own) throw the altitude and heading hold switch on...and then flip them off for the descent. Other than that it's basically hand flown the entire time? Do you set the assigned altitude in the altitude alerter so you don't forget?

Even though it's tempting to bid off the DC-9 the prospect of holding a block and the better quality of life is where I'll likely be.

I walk off my current job tommorow to make my way there so I'm pretty happy. :)

So if I'm understanding this correctly....hand flown up to altitude (level off on my own) throw the altitude and heading hold switch on...and then flip them off for the descent. Other than that it's basically hand flown the entire time? Do you set the assigned altitude in the altitude alerter so you don't forget?

Even though it's tempting to bid off the DC-9 the prospect of holding a block and the better quality of life is where I'll likely be.

Flying the DC9 is fun....after takeoff, and cleanup, its usually hand flown untill 5 or 10 thsnd, then engage the ap. By using the verti speed wheel for fpm climb settings and the large turn knob for turns you can easily fly the "old school" bird.

Set the altitude alerter for level-off warnings and you've got it made.

The ap usually stays on untill about 1000 ft for vis appchs. Ils appchs are usually coupled untill 1000 or dh, then hand flown.

It's a great flying bird, ...the most fun at the "Red Tail".

Welcome.:beer:

come on you can do it, you flew the Shorts all day without an AP. Anyone can fly a round airplane. Show them how it's done.

good luck!

Latest resources

Back