• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NuGuy

Ex-Commuter
Hi all,

Seems to be some interest here, so:

The last award came out, and if you want the DC-9 in any base on reserve, it can be yours. Blocksholders, too, as long as DTW and MEM are OK (it will be a few months for MSP). If reserve is OK, new hires have gotten A320 awards in both DTW and MEM.

MSP is senior across the board. Plan on waiting if you want a blockholder spot.

Reserve on the 757 is doable in very short time if DTW is OK.

There are ZERO bidders for ANC 747 SO, so that is a possibility. ANC FO is a short list, but there were no awards this month, so that list might go very slow.

Last captain on the DC-9 (reserve) is 42xx out of 5300 or so. Figure July 98 hire, for a scosh over 8 years. Blockholders are significantly more senior.

Nu

Thanks for the update! I just got hired on and am from Anchorage and was told I should get the 747 SO reserve without much problem. If you had to guess, how long to hold 747 FO reserve Anchorage?

Seat lock question..

Hey guys,

I just have a few quick questions if you have a second I'd appreciate it.

Regarding new hire "seat lock" if you are offered a 747 SO ANC position and start class is it possible to bid to another aircraft (ie:dc-9, a320 in dtw) or do you have to finish training on the panel and then fly that position for a certain amount of time?

Do you have any idea how many new hires are projected and how many are already in class?

Thanks again for any insight.

I am not 100% sure---but I believe new hires are exempted from seat lock. However, once you bid off your new hire aircraft---you are subject to seat-locks per the contract.

I heard the same thing that Propdog heard. Also, some new hires were bidding a new position before they finished training on the old position. The deal is that that they must finish the training they were placed in before switching, which will total up to 5-6 mos in class. Three mos for the sloted/placed position and three for the new bid position.

If I have it wrong, someone please step in and correct. I would be curious how it works if different....

I was told there will be a few A320 slots in the late January class...No idea which base/s. This fits with what NU was saying...

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure---but I believe new hires are exempted from seat lock. However, once you bid off your new hire aircraft---you are subject to seat-locks per the contract.

Prop, that is correct...
SO in ANC is doable early....

There is no seat lock for a new hire and once you bid off the seat awarded in initial class, you will incur your seat lock.

I am not sure on the ANC FO position. Currently, there are 20 people preferencing that position on their bids (with about half of them not really wanting it as they are bidding 20 or so other seats with higher priority).

The flying bulletin for March just came out and awards are expected to increase some to both the 747 ANC CA and FO positions, and even greater increase of awards to the SO position.

I would expect to see new hires get DTW A320 Reserve since crew planning has exhausted the list of pilots bidding that seat.

As far as hiring goes, latest word I had from HR (about a month ago) was that we are planning 20 a class starting January for the foreseeable future. Classes start every other week.

Good luck and Welcome aboard.

Latest resources

Back