• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No growth at SW until 2016 now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, here's some leverage for you-- Southwest has several hundred 737-Max's on order. Our CBA doesn't allow anyone to fly them yet; the CBA would have to be opened and terms agreed upon. The verbiage says that any other plane other than the 737-300, -500, -700, or -800 requires a reopener. Those planes are supposed to hit our pavement in early 2017, so they'll want agreements sometime in 2016. According to GK, they are the future of Southwest.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Bubba

All the company has to do is say the max is a modified 700 , SWA reads the contract as all is Kosher. The only thing SWAPA can do is grieve it . SWA has interpreted many thing different than SWAPA. Usually the company wins in the interpretation .

Is the Max going to be a different type rating?

Jim

I doubt it in the pure definition of the type. If you flew a DC-9, MD-80, MD-90 or 717 your type read "DC-9". I imagine your type will not say "max" on your license. The question is will the FAA allow SWA pilots to fly NGs and MAX's with differences training. And I suspect the answer is already yes. I'm sure the cheaper -200 type rating at higher power will still be valid, but not very useful.

the -700, the -800, required reopeners. The MAX is a modified 737, and in the contract sense, is NOT a 700 or 800, so , reopener for rates is required.

the -700, the -800, required reopeners. The MAX is a modified 737, and in the contract sense, is NOT a 700 or 800, so , reopener for rates is required.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. Although I find it strange as it is part of a family of aircraft. We actually had negotiated rates for larger aircraft or different aircraft (Airbus for example) at the Tran and was surprised that my SWAPA contract didn't have pay rates for other planes.

The contract says:

M. RE-OPENER
In the event that the Company, during the duration of this Agreement, should: (1) acquire for its use any type of aircraft other than the B717, B737-300, B737-500, B737-700, and the B737-800

According to Boeing it is not a B737-700 or B737-800, but a 737 MAX.

"Southwest is a special Boeing customer and has been a true partner in the evolution of the 737," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Jim Albaugh. "Throughout our 40-year relationship, our two companies have collaborated to launch the 737-300, 737-500 and the Next-Generation 737-700 ? affirming the 737 as the world's preferred single-aisle airplane. As launch customer for the 737 MAX, Southwest, Boeing and the 737 continue that legacy."

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=20295&item=2072

My guess is it will be addressed in this section 6 which will hopefully be done before the 2017 debut of the MAX.

Last edited:
Does it simply require a re-opener, or does it actually prohibit operation of the new type until agreement is reached?

Latest resources

Back