No growth at SW until 2016 now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wavey,

You know better. This is called managing expectations. They are telling you np expansion "unless" you agree to a quick deal. This deal will include growth they originally planned.

Bingo.

Or another purchase. Right sizing

Either way not good

There was never going to be any arbitration like you were saying..ever. One try. Isn't that how it played out, after we told you time and time again.

Does it bother you that mgmt had no intention of following the agreement as you are purporting? Obviously, in this case, no. However, many of us think you are in for a rude awakening as Section 6 progresses. I've said it before, please prove us wrong. At least drag it out past January 2015 so we have a chance to vote no.

Also, SWA can use the no new airplanes as a reason to cut the rest of the small AirTran cities that are unprofitable in the Southwest model.

This record is skipping on repeat.

And c'mon PCL, I thought you were soo experienced in negotiating.

Isn't the real difference between the two situations simple leverage?

This record is skipping on repeat.

What leverage do you think the SWAPA pilots have?

Need to clean up the language in scheduling (ability to drop trips, flexibility when days are red. (as long as you work the day that is restricted regardless of 2,3,4 day trip) Cuts down on sick calls hello?) Get rid of Net Zero, Go to a red/green day system. Get rid of number of days you can drop into open time. The trading system is from the 1980s. Would decrease sick calls....

Profit sharing into your 401K or could elect an actual check...like other major airlines!

Larger % of day line trips. Not sure the %, but CAL back in the day built alot of day lines, Gordon didn't like huge hotel cost and some crew members really wanted to be home at night.

Yes, the difference is leverage. The AirTran pilots had a lot of leverage. You have, at least at the moment, incredibly little. The pilot group is completely unwilling to do any industrial action because they don't want to make the company look bad to the public, you already have pay rates near the top of the narrowbody spectrum, your company's profits are trailing all of your competition, you have the largest domestic route network which would have a significant impact on the economy if it were to shut down, etc. I could go on and on. Organic leverage is nonexistent for you. The only thing you could do is generate artificial leverage through industrial action (picketing, billboards, radio ads, etc.), but every SWA pilot I talk to feels that that is anathema. As long as that attitude prevails, you'll get nowhere.

Need to clean up the language in scheduling (ability to drop trips, flexibility when days are red. (as long as you work the day that is restricted regardless of 2,3,4 day trip) Cuts down on sick calls hello?) Get rid of Net Zero, Go to a red/green day system. Get rid of number of days you can drop into open time. The trading system is from the 1980s. Would decrease sick calls....

Actually, most of those idiotic restrictions were put in during the last contract, and almost all of them were considered "gains" by SWApA!

Larger % of day line trips. Not sure the %, but CAL back in the day built alot of day lines, Gordon didn't like huge hotel cost and some crew members really wanted to be home at night.

As this will be another concessionary contract, I'm sure we'll see lots more turns in future lines.... ;)

What leverage do you think the SWAPA pilots have?

More than air tran, and that ultimately comes down to the psychology of the group. We are happy to wait out our situation. Air tran wasn't willing to not be Swapa

C'mon PCL, that's all nice, but have you seen the global market for pilots. Other legacies are leapfrogging us, a shortage is looming. They're already hiring bc we had a dozen pilots leave for delta. Swa mgmt had more leverage in 2009 than today.
And we are the largest domestic carrier with record profits. Just bc the legacy cycle is on the upswing of their wild swing tendencies, doesn't mean we are performing bad.
The biggest leverage mgmt gave us? They gave themselves raises....

Latest resources

Back