• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Downgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just remember how many pilots (cpts.) were so sure of themselves that NJA couldn't possibly furlough.

You gotta remember the timing though... those comments were made while RTS was here. While RTS was here, they was a true statement.

RTS gone and DS in... new ball game. Nobody said no furloughs after DS came onboard. Nobody.

Flylow22 you are correct. While RTS was at the helm no one would have been furloughed. Everyone would have just been out of a job. Furlough implies that there is a job for you to come back to. If RTS had been allowed to stay, we would have shut our doors.

Flylow22 you are correct. While RTS was at the helm no one would have been furloughed. Everyone would have just been out of a job. Furlough implies that there is a job for you to come back to. If RTS had been allowed to stay, we would have shut our doors.

Do we really know that this is a fact??

Nobody is arguing that point either.
At least I am not.

I know that it seems RTS got a raw deal but anyone here more than a few years knows how he operated.

Never had the emphasis been on operations to make money... only sales.

We needed management that could enable this company to make money in all areas, not just sales.

The point I was trying to make is that no NJA Captain ever said there would never be furlough, just no furloughs with RTS here. Not because he cared but because it would make him look bad.

Last edited:
I know that it seems RTS got a raw deal but anyone here more than a few years knows how he operated

Plenty of raw deals have gone around at NJA. RTS was not a recipient though.

You gotta remember the timing though... those comments were made while RTS was here. While RTS was here, they was a true statement.

RTS gone and DS in... new ball game. Nobody said no furloughs after DS came onboard. Nobody.

I agree with the fact that undr RTS furloughs were less likely (impossible? maybe, maybe not)

But the logic that many pilots (mostly Cpts.) used wasn't always the fact that RTS was at the helm.. People theorized about training costs, fleet counts, past recessions.. I agree that looking bad was one of the reasons also, but not the only theory..

My only point is to be fully prepared. We, the pilot group, have very litle insight into what realy will happen. We can speculate, look at numbers, read the contract all we want. Fact is management holds the cards at nearly every step of the way. And not just at NJA, all companies for the most part... They are more in tune with what they want to accomplish, and just let the union know about it along the way. The management runs the company. I had forgotten that at one point, but now fully realize that fact.

I agree we can only speculate. At this point WHO CARES about what RTS did or did not do. We are now paying the piper for those descisions made. We must now move forward and make sure we have complete compliance of the CBA. The new sheriff in town is going to show us where he wants this place headed and I am very cautiosly... Well let's just say cautious. When the new management took over this place was forever changed and will never go back to the way it was in 2007. We will see after April 19th.

Raj, I was never privy to the books. I can only go by what some higher up union officials mentioned. We were losing over a million dollars a day. No company can sustain those losses and continue to operate..

Either way, lets just hope that no further cuts are required and that we can recall our brothers and sisters sooner then later..

I'm an early 06 hire and ever since the 495ers left the property have had my ass handed to me by scheduling. Last tour I had a five leg day with 1345 duty before we threw in the towel. On the 800xph no less. Granted I'm just one guy but this is approaching summer 07 workload. I'm of the opinion that they have overcut.

Here's the deal on 4/19 from sources as reliable as they get without talking to Sokol himself. DS wants more furloughs. Scheduling and the union are telling him it's not possible without major changes for the worse in coverage and service. NJA is staffed appropriately according to the people who analyze such things, but he still wants more blood and thinks we can improve efficiency to cover a couple hundred more furloughs.

In my opinion, DS is probably a decent CEO in his industry but doesn't understand the service business very well. It's cool to keep US Airways passengers or Walmart customers delayed or waiting in line due to staffing, but NJA owners will not put up with that. They pay a premium price to have well rested, gold tie pilots and coverage if their plane breaks and they should continue to receive a premium product. I think we are at the bare minimum staffing levels to provide that service right now. Further cuts will reflect in a degradation of service.

Latest resources

Back