• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the very very short time NJA was on top of the aviation world (say 2007-roughly 2009), there weren't alot of options for a regional guy to move on to. Limited hiring by SWA and JB, majors had few open doors...

Cue Netjets.. For RJ Captains it was about the same pay. For RJ FO's it was a pay increase. Plus the added bonus of the "you'll be a Captain in 3 years" and the ever famous "Welcome to the last job you'll ever have!" ....

Now fast forward to today:

Legacy carriers are all getting some form of an improved contract. Delta just got a significant raise, USAir is about to see increases pending an AA merger. Continental just got a raise. And for the most part it seems as if things are on the up and up at most, if not all Legacies...

Meanwhile, NJA has completely stagnated. Upgrades are an undetermined 10+++ years. FO pay is not even close to the potential one can make at a Legacy. Not to mention very limited schedule flexibility.

Not only will NJA lose many pilots to the airlines. NJA will never see the quality of newhires they were accustom to in 2007 and beyond. (I recently met an international heavy pilot from Japan who said "oh yeah I applied to NJA in 2008 after a furlough, didn't make the cut." ) *IF* Netjets ever hires again, they will see less and less experienced jet operators and more guys just coming off their first turbine gig flying boxes between SMF and SLC. (no offense).:beer: Netjets is once again going to be a stepping stone for guys to build some jet time to help get them to a Major airline. With no chance of upgrade it's the sad reality.

Routinely the guys I fly with today either have never heard of Netjets, or they vaguely know it's some form of corporate outfit. Netjets is off the radar these days.

BTW, Netjets did VERY VERY well with an fractional leading contract that paid much more than their counterparts..

Fair enough, and a good post. However, I believe NJA will be a dynamic place to work with fairly rapid upgrades when the economy picks up steam. Unfortunately, I suspect that will happen around 2017. Our stagnation is due to the moribund world and national economy rather than a bad business model, dear friends.

Dude, ya know I luv ya amigo but how much we get paid is the proverbial drop in the bucket affecting our company's competitiveness. Scheduling and travel blow enough in a month to give us ALL a 5 percent raise right now. Every month.

Yes, I'm pulling that number out of my a$$ but you get the point.

We need to worry FAR more about productivity limitations imposed by the contract and the attitude it creates. Productivity focus was how Southwest led the way to the best pay in the industry.

NetJets can pay us more. A lot more, and still be competitive and make a profit. It's up to management to find the leaks in the boat. And the PAY and BENEFITS of the pilot group ARE NOT the leak.

I get your point, my fine golfing friend. However, I don't share your assessment of the relative insignificance of pilot compensation. I could be wrong though. There are lots of factors affecting productivity and profit, and pilot pay is one of them. Would I turn down a raise? Nooooo sir!

management is going to have to take some cuts. I know it'll be tough for them scraping by on only 2 million $$'s per year, but this is crunch time.

Management cuts sound fine to me, unless we can't retain the good managers or attract other really good ones. I think Billy Noe does a fine job, always have. Shane too.

Then become a Food Store Manager, if you fly because you like to it is a great job. You know the rest

That is certainly one option in a growing list of choices....

Yes, I like to fly - I have yet to meet a pilot who doesn't. There are very few activities more enjoyable on Earth.

However, there is a distinction between flying on your own time vs flying for someone else.

When hired to do a job, I'm not doing so for personal enjoyment or recreation. I'm being paid to provide services and expertise for the advancement of my employers business.

If more pilots would treat this profession like a CAREER rather than a "great job" and "fly because they like to" we wouldn't need to compare ourselves to food store managers.

Part of our compensation is that we enjoy the profession, by the way. Not to mention the Glamour and the Women.

I like flying so I bought a small plane. I'm in the profession to make a living and take care of my family.

I get your point, my fine golfing friend. However, I don't share your assessment of the relative insignificance of pilot compensation. I could be wrong though. There are lots of factors affecting productivity and profit, and pilot pay is one of them. Would I turn down a raise? Nooooo sir!

I gave up chasing the white pellet across the pasture. Now I put very large holes in paper and cardboard and convert money into noise instead....

Like I said a while back, you have to not care when the brain trust threatens "CHAOS! MAYHEM! DISASTER!" The money is there for a pay RAISE and with the right changes to certain productivity issues, a new contract could actually result in HIGHER revenue and profit margin if managed correctly. Sadly, I think the inability to think outside the box on BOTH sides will make that unlikely.

If you compare our 2005 contract to the 2007 one, you'll see that this group is very willing and able to work together on common-sense improvements for both parties. The company enjoyed dramatic improvements in crew utilization with the 2007 contract due to work rule changes.

I Sadly, I think the inability to think outside the box on BOTH sides will make that unlikely.
There is the great danger, pride and position come before the solution.

I like flying so I bought a small plane. I'm in the profession to make a living and take care of my family.
Neat! what kind do you have? I have a C-172

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back