Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sure about that?

60000 1st year pay at SWA.

Your response doesn't address anything in his statement. You will fly 737s domestically forever, and you will most likely never fly a 787. But, you do point out the great pay at Southwest, which is what you should get for flying 5-6 legs a day at a profitable airline.

What the f?

Is this place just a stepping stone to get the 737 type rating just to go to LUV? Is it common now to jump from major to major?

Have fun flying the 737 forever domestically. Oh, and say goodbye to ever flying the 787.

Cool....when I left a legacy carrier 12 years ago to come to SWA...I knew then and there that I would never fly a B-717/757/767/747/777/787/A-319-320-321-330-340-350-380,DC-9/10/MD-11/MD-80-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-89, etc

And I knew I wouldn't have any layovers in CDG/LHR/LGW/FRA/MUC/MAD/MAN/FCO/NRT/HNL/YYZ/YVR/MEX, etc. If I really wanna go there....I know how to get there.

None of the above was part of my decision making process. What was part of the decision making process was the business plan, corporate culture, consistent profits...and the history of labor relations. Also, the documented, year after year of financial profitability played a huge role in my decision. ..as did the fact that had never been ( nor has there been any ) Furloughs.

BTW...for a list of other airplanes I will never fly....f15/16/18/14/4/100/102/104/106/OV-10/O-2/G-1-2-3-4-5/Citation 1-10/ C-5-141-17-46-47-118-124-130-133/KC-97-135-10, etc.

We all don't marry the same woman either. Some like tall ones, some like short ones, some like skinny ones, .....

Who the beep cares.

Your response doesn't address anything in his statement. You will fly 737s domestically forever, and you will most likely never fly a 787. But, you do point out the great pay at Southwest, which is what you should get for flying 5-6 legs a day at a profitable airline.

It's amazing how uninformed people are about the schedules over here.

What's the use.

Last edited:
This is a good thing. The free market is finally doing what the unions have failed to do.
I'm glad you said that, we could say the same thing about the DL RFP!

Maybe if first year pay wasn't so low and if you didn't have to pay for your own health insurance, people would stay. SWA is now the premier pax. carrier to work for..... match SWA pay, and people won't leave....

While your above statement has merit regarding pay, I fail to see how your continuing to blame ALPA for pilots leaving legacies for other legacies?
In my newhire class 10 years ago, I had a US Air pilot, UAL pilot and NW pilot!
Your continued blame of ALPA from everything to policy to the sinking of the Titanic is getting rather tiresome. Instead of being part of the problem, try being part of the solution....Either that or just STFU!

I really don't get the fascination with large aircraft. I'd rather fly a light twin for $200K a year than a 747 for $150K. As far away places go... so what, my favorite airport is the one where I park the airplane at and go home. It's all about QOL and pay, and QOL is far more important.

"that may not even be enjoyable on a layover(MAF, AMA, BUF, OMA, GEG, ISP etc), they do it. For them it is all about flying hard (5-6 flights a day with 25 minute turns and mostly short layovers), and playing hard."

Ah I don't know where you stay in GEG but our layover there is awsome. Right on the river upstream from the falls. One of my favorite overnights in all the jobs I have had. St. Thomas was better but I always end up smoking cigars and drinking to many Red Stripes on that overnight...

What a bunch of cry babies. If someone wants to leave your company for another who the hell cares. You judge someone because they don't want to fly a 787 and don't care about flying a 737 for a career? Sounds like jealousy. Get over it! Neither you or any company for that matter is that great, period!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back