• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N

Non Union

What the f?

Is this place just a stepping stone to get the 737 type rating just to go to LUV? Is it common now to jump from major to major?

Have fun flying the 737 forever domestically. Oh, and say goodbye to ever flying the 787.

So? I might not like the idea of this happening either from a CAL pilot's perspective but it is none of my business. These guys have the right to do whatever they want. The company should pay a descent first year rate and do a better job in the recruiting process of weeding out people they know have other ambitions beyound cal.
You can't expect someone who really wants to work for SWA/DAL/FEDEX to turn down a job at CAL hoping for a cal from one of the above can you? You have to take the job offered. This; while not happening on a large scale does send a message to our flight operations management team that despite the rapid movement expected; our first year pay and benefits package is deplorable. Can't blame the guy you speak of even though I'm well off 1st year pay.

IAHERJ

What the f?

Is this place just a stepping stone to get the 737 type rating just to go to LUV? Is it common now to jump from major to major?

Have fun flying the 737 forever domestically. Oh, and say goodbye to ever flying the 787.

Remember, some people don't care about what type of plane they fly, as long as the money is right. Regardless of looking like a corndog and flying plenty of intra Texas flights or many flights per day to cities that may not even be enjoyable on a layover(MAF, AMA, BUF, OMA, GEG, ISP etc), they do it. For them it is all about flying hard (5-6 flights a day with 25 minute turns and mostly short layovers), and playing hard. Who cares if it is like flying for a well paying regional, they will do it, and with a smile, until exhaustion finally overcomes them. Continental only offers them larger planes, more variety in flying, as quick or quciker upgrade (now running 2 1/2 years), and good pay once they get away from the first year. That could be a reason people leave early on, that first year pay is pathetic. The crew bases at Continental also aren't very desireable, making a commute almost necessary, but the variety in planes and layovers probably makes up for that. But don't tell that to a Southwest pilot, he/she simply doesn't care, it is all about the benjamins.

Last edited:
So? I might not like the idea of this happening either from a CAL pilot's perspective but it is none of my business. These guys have the right to do whatever they want. The company should pay a descent first year rate and do a better job in the recruiting process of weeding out people they know have other ambitions beyound cal.
You can't expect someone who really wants to work for SWA/DAL/FEDEX to turn down a job at CAL hoping for a cal from one of the above can you? You have to take the job offered. This; while not happening on a large scale does send a message to our flight operations management team that despite the rapid movement expected; our first year pay and benefits package is deplorable. Can't blame the guy you speak of even though I'm well off 1st year pay.

IAHERJ

HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD...............

This is a good thing. The free market is finally doing what the unions have failed to do. Maybe if first year pay wasn't so low and if you didn't have to pay for your own health insurance, people would stay. SWA is now the premier pax. carrier to work for..... match SWA pay, and people won't leave....

What the f?

Why are you so offended, Is your world view that CAL-centric? get over it.

Who cares about the size of the airplane or the layover...I'm in this job for money.

Judging by the types of planes you fly or have flown (in your sidebar), you really don't care about the size of any plane. If you actually had a chance to fly something larger, you probably would love it, and a 737 would seem like a light twin. I flew 747s for Tower Air before they went away, and it really was great. Wouldn't it be great to fly a large plane to far away places for great pay? Most majors will offer that again.

sure about that?

60000 1st year pay at SWA.

Latest resources

Back