• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying night freight in a Lear = okay

hum.... I think that's flawed logic.

I think both are pretty risky.

You think flying freight is risky, flying at night is risky, or flying a Lear is risky? Do you have experience doing any of those things that might qualify you to make such as assumption beyond a wild, uneducated guess?

Ive done a lot of things in Lears, including night freight. I have also flown special missions lears with modifications and external equipment, at night, under unusual conditions, including weather research...I can tell you as a career professional, I'd certainly not have done it if I considered it a risk. Not in the least. Flying a learjet is not a risky endevor. It's a well designed, safe aircraft...all of the various models. Flying a lear at night isn't a risk; the aircraft has ample performance on one engine, full systems capability on either engine with respect to electrical and accessories, and doesn't care a whit if it's day or night.

The presence of cargo in the aircraft vs. passengers makes absolutely no difference and is entirely irrelevant. If night freight in a Learjet is a risky endevor, then that's the pilots fault; he or she isn't doing it right.

Whatever! I will not respond to anything further OT!

So you say, never the less, you responded again anyway.

Does flying aircraft overseas make one a dangerous "crazy" pilot? No. Is it irresponsible? No. Can one be a professional ferry pilot who offers a legitimate, safe service to a client? Absolutely. This doesn't describe NW Pilot, however, who brags about being a crazy pilot, who acts irresponsibly, and who is far from professional in his comments and actions, and who lectures about others taking ferry flights on the cheap, but who at the same time undercuts proper rates to get the jobs done himself...on the cheap.

I've known others like NW Pilot. Most of them are dead now, none by natural causes.

Perhaps more significant than the poor decision making which NW Pilot not only admits to, but openly brags about and holds up as a badge of honor, is his level of immaturity. This is not an appropriate trait in a pilot, certainly not in a professional. He acts and speaks as a teenage kid, not an adult. Most would at a minimum be discreet about acts and events that NW Pilot brags about; sadly he's not only no ashamed of them, but thrilled to show them off, and somehow is too dense to figure out how stupid it makes him look.

Ferry pilots frequently move aircraft which they haven't flown before. This isn't unusual. Ferry pilots frequently make trips over water and areas where others prefer not...that's what they do, deliver airplanes. This can be done safely, and is one safely, all the time. NW Pilot made wise decisions in electing to return to Hayward with the problems that he encountered, yet the matter remains that he probably shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Can a low time, low experience pilot safely do a demanding job? Yes. I was flying ag and spraying fields when I had quarter of the time that NW Pilot has now, and that was many years ago as a teenager. I also did it under close supervision, after some very involved, dedicated training in every single aspect of what I did. One must walk before one runs, and NW Pilot's posts make it clear that he never learned to properly crawl; his running appears to be that of an impaired drunkard without any particular direction or sense of balance.

I'm all for one taking the proverbial bull by the horns and making something of one's self. That's far cry from stepping into places where one shouldn't be, in over one's head and experience, beyond one's depth, and attempting to teach one's self what one doesn't know and hasn't the experience to teach. Be careful of scars earned in battles in which you should never have fought.

avbug

I am willing to bet 100 dollars or a few rounds of beer or your favorite drink that statistically speaking Part (Cargo) 135 Lear operators have a higher accident rate than most other sectors of aviation be it part 121 / part 91 corporate type, or just tooling around in a cub. I don't think I have to have 10,000, 2,000 or 10 hours in a lear to understand this. I think lots of factors are in play here, among them working on the back side of the clock, long duty days, pushy dispatchers and the list goes on and ntsb statistics would prove it.

Dirt

Last edited:
Goodluck NW-Pilot, I can't believe I am still reading this thread.

The thing that you, NW, well, one of the many things, is that while you may be making "great" contacts in the industry, even reputable operators know who they can get to do things that others won't do. And just because they call you or treat you nicely doesn't mean that you've earned their respect. Just that they know exactly what they can get you to do.

You'll always be the one they'll call for the D-list jobs. Nothing more. This is a really small world as has been said already. And I personally cannot believe that you as the pro you SOMETIMES try to present yourself as, just called airline pilots "busdrivers". There aren't enough buttons on this keyboard to really say what you need to hear.

And quit, for the love of god, calling these trips "adventures". You sound like such a hack. If you really were a professional you'd understand what they really are: Jobs, trips, work, whatever. But continuing to refer to them as your "adventures" smacks of idiocy and a very poor handle on what's really going on.

Oh, yeah, I've flown in places in the world where it is difficult to get around in regular street clothes. However, just the shirt and bars worked fine EVERY time. No phony badges or ties. Blowhard.

Avbug, excellent post. Exactly right.

You think flying freight is risky, flying at night is risky, or flying a Lear is risky? Do you have experience doing any of those things that might qualify you to make such as assumption beyond a wild, uneducated guess?

Ive done a lot of things in Lears, including night freight. I have also flown special missions lears with modifications and external equipment, at night, under unusual conditions, including weather research...I can tell you as a career professional, I'd certainly not have done it if I considered it a risk. Not in the least. Flying a learjet is not a risky endevor. It's a well designed, safe aircraft...all of the various models. Flying a lear at night isn't a risk; the aircraft has ample performance on one engine, full systems capability on either engine with respect to electrical and accessories, and doesn't care a whit if it's day or night.

The presence of cargo in the aircraft vs. passengers makes absolutely no difference and is entirely irrelevant. If night freight in a Learjet is a risky endevor, then that's the pilots fault; he or she isn't doing it right.

So you say, never the less, you responded again anyway.

Does flying aircraft overseas make one a dangerous "crazy" pilot? No. Is it irresponsible? No. Can one be a professional ferry pilot who offers a legitimate, safe service to a client? Absolutely. This doesn't describe NW Pilot, however, who brags about being a crazy pilot, who acts irresponsibly, and who is far from professional in his comments and actions, and who lectures about others taking ferry flights on the cheap, but who at the same time undercuts proper rates to get the jobs done himself...on the cheap.

I've known others like NW Pilot. Most of them are dead now, none by natural causes.

Perhaps more significant than the poor decision making which NW Pilot not only admits to, but openly brags about and holds up as a badge of honor, is his level of immaturity. This is not an appropriate trait in a pilot, certainly not in a professional. He acts and speaks as a teenage kid, not an adult. Most would at a minimum be discreet about acts and events that NW Pilot brags about; sadly he's not only no ashamed of them, but thrilled to show them off, and somehow is too dense to figure out how stupid it makes him look.

Ferry pilots frequently move aircraft which they haven't flown before. This isn't unusual. Ferry pilots frequently make trips over water and areas where others prefer not...that's what they do, deliver airplanes. This can be done safely, and is one safely, all the time. NW Pilot made wise decisions in electing to return to Hayward with the problems that he encountered, yet the matter remains that he probably shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Can a low time, low experience pilot safely do a demanding job? Yes. I was flying ag and spraying fields when I had quarter of the time that NW Pilot has now, and that was many years ago as a teenager. I also did it under close supervision, after some very involved, dedicated training in every single aspect of what I did. One must walk before one runs, and NW Pilot's posts make it clear that he never learned to properly crawl; his running appears to be that of an impaired drunkard without any particular direction or sense of balance.

I'm all for one taking the proverbial bull by the horns and making something of one's self. That's far cry from stepping into places where one shouldn't be, in over one's head and experience, beyond one's depth, and attempting to teach one's self what one doesn't know and hasn't the experience to teach. Be careful of scars earned in battles in which you should never have fought.

Nevertheless I'd like to hear about the flight, and I'd prefer not to wait for the book... at least, not without a really good editor. What went wrong this time NW?

I am willing to bet 100 dollars or a few rounds of beer or your favorite drink that statistically speaking Part (Cargo) 135 Lear operators have a higher accident rate than most other sectors of aviation be it part 121 / part 91 corporate type, or just tooling around in a cub.

Then stop crowing bout it and prove it to be the case. Give us something other than an uneducated guess. Break it down by hours flown, accidents, materal cost, lives lost, something. Guessing that it's unsafe just doesn't cut it. Especially as you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back