• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More unprofessional AMR pilot behavior

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"how he could not know that the reactions of all the non-believers was likely to be, "Why is this guy pointing me out? I just want to sleep on the plane. It's not his job to preach to me."

Now see, already we have a problem. "Nonbelievers", oh, you mean alll those that do not believe what you believe? Perhaps the Muslims, Jews,Hindu and Buddhist are mostly right, in which case, you are mostly wrong. Now what do you do?

Religion, when used in the wrong fashion, is a scary thing, much stronger than politics. The perpetrators of 9/11 considered us to be nonbelievers and therefor, it was okay to kill. I am sure most Israeli Jews consider it okay to kill Plaestinians and vice versa.

This CAAptain needs some talking to and hopefully, the minute he let go of the handset, he thought: oh oh, that was not a good idea!

Originally posted by Dizel8

I am sure most Israeli Jews consider it okay to kill Plaestinians and vice versa.

Not true. When was the last time the Israelis blew up a school bus full of kids? Or a crowded restaurant?

If the Israelis wanted to kill the Palestinians, they would have done it a long, long time ago. They have the firepower, the nuclear weapons, etc.

Just imagine for one minute what it would be like if the Palestinians were the ones with the nuclear weapons, F16's, powerful army, etc!

No, I understand what you are trying to say, but I think you picked the wrong expample.

It would take entirely too much bandwidth to discuss the Israel-Palestine issue here and it is somewhat unrelated, but I think without being obtuse that you get the gist. The long of the short, vis-a-vis that problem, is that both factions wish complete control of a particular piece of land, of course, they are basing ownership because of the bible or the Koran.

Entirely too many bad things have been perpetrated by religious zealots.

Now, I cannot say anything about this captain, other than, had I been on Emirates and heard such a spiel , I would be a bit worried!

SammyG said:
Interesting discussion here. I have a few comments.

1.) What this Captain did was completely innapropriate. Reason being....I believe... a key part of effectively telling people about your faith is being smart about it, and thinking before you act. Having an airline Captain, whose job is to fly the plane, and having him put the believers AND the non-believers on the spot like he did, is not going to make the non-believers very receptive. I don't understand how an intelligent many like him could not have realized the reprucssions of what he was doing before he did it....how he could not know that the reactions of all the non-believers was likely to be, "Why is this guy pointing me out? I just want to sleep on the plane. It's not his job to preach to me."

2.) Being a believer myself, my personal choice of methods to spread the Word is by showing His love through example, simply through the way I live my life. Through example you make people want to have what you have, not by pounding them over the head with a Bible. This also means thinking before you witness. Telling people about the Lord is very tricky this day and age. This dosen't mean be ashamed and keep quiet..it just means you have to pray for wisdom, that you'll find the right opportunity to tell people. There really is a VERY fine line between "wittnessing" and "pushing"..and I find that in being a Christian, this is one of the most challenging things to learn. One could spend a lifetime learning this.

Finally......."a reasoned approach that is respected by me and others of non-christian faith". Chief White Cloud

Last edited:
Dizel8 said:
"how he could not know that the reactions of all the non-believers was likely to be, "Why is this guy pointing me out? I just want to sleep on the plane. It's not his job to preach to me."

Now see, already we have a problem. "Nonbelievers", oh, you mean alll those that do not believe what you believe? Perhaps the Muslims, Jews,Hindu and Buddhist are mostly right, in which case, you are mostly wrong. Now what do you do?

Why do we have a problem? What term would you prefer? How about "how could he not know that the reactions of all the (insert label here) was likely to be...yada yada yada.

What does the particular label have to do with anything?

100LL... Again! said:
TWAdude and crashpad-

It must be awful to live your lives in such fear of Christians.

You obviously have'nt spent time with Jesuits like I have, pal.
Religeon is a personal issue with me and I'll tell you the same thing I tell the holy-rollers who show up at my doorstep: 'My anscestors would be happy to open up a can of whoop-a$$ to help you see the light more clearly, so go convert someone lest I start feeling "inquisitive."

Then I sing:

The Inquisition, what a show,
The Inquisition, here we go,
The Inquisition, let's get under waaayyy,
Cause The Inquisitions' here and it's here to staaayyyy!!!

Because the problem becomes: Who are the true believers? Had the Captain been Muslim and had spoken those words, all hell, no pun intended, would have broken loose. Now, the US is predominately, of those that do believe, Christian, so other than a bit of embarrasement, this will blow over quickly and rightfully so.

However, I have seen enough, to have gathered the opinion, that people who believe strongly also have a tendency to look down upon those not of faith. Certainly, if one truly believes, then those who do not, must be less enlightened.

Secondly, a christian would see his faith as being the right one and his God true. Hence, all those of not Christian persuasion must be wrong in the eyes of the true God. Of course, we all know what happens to those, who worship a false God.

So now, we once again, have division along religious lines.

Fire that f___

Maybe god has answered my prayers and I can move another number up and get back to work. Classic SNB.
Unfortunately AMR will probably put him over at Centreport as middle manager of employee religious relations.

Dizel8 said:
Because the problem becomes: Who are the true believers? Had the Captain been Muslim and had spoken those words, all hell, no pun intended, would have broken loose. Now, the US is predominately, of those that do believe, Christian, so other than a bit of embarrasement, this will blow over quickly and rightfully so.

However, I have seen enough, to have gathered the opinion, that people who believe strongly also have a tendency to look down upon those not of faith. Certainly, if one truly believes, then those who do not, must be less enlightened.

Secondly, a christian would see his faith as being the right one and his God true. Hence, all those of not Christian persuasion must be wrong in the eyes of the true God. Of course, we all know what happens to those, who worship a false God.

So now, we once again, have division along religious lines.

Well sorry. I had to identify the people I was referring to somehow. Think you're reading too much into the one I chose and forgetting to consider the rest of what I was saying.

Ty,

Politics in that part of the world, Middle East, is of course full of religious rhetoric and curious bed fellows. There are many great books and articles on this.

One place to seach in recent times, could be about the Sabra and Shatila Massacre.

Indeed you are correct, the PLO has done some atrocious things, but the IDF or the Mossad is pretty ruthless to. One wonders, if there will ever be peace.

Latest resources

Back