More unprofessional AMR pilot behavior

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WhiteCloud said:
Why all the annoyance and hatred toward this pilot?

I'll tell you why! Our industry suffered enough from 9/11 and we could have prevented it! We've seen too many times what religious fanatics will do! This guy is a religious fanatic.
We don't need this breach when it can be prevented.

I flew with a guy who believed he could heal people by the laying of hands... I thought twice about the pulled groin muscle which had been bothering me the past week.

It would've been my luck that I'd be in seat 12d, between two folks that took the captain seriously!

That would have been a LONG 5 hours.

In that case I would prefer to be "witnessed" to by Muslims, Buddhists, or Hindus. At least I'd be learning something new!

WhiteCloud said:
Why is the mention of religion such a hot topic for those who profess no religious belief?

As a member of the religious majority of this country it's only natural that you can't comprehend the seriousness of this captain inappropriately using the cockpit as his pulpit. If you can, step into someone else's shoes and know how it is to be surrounded by people who believe differently than you. Know how history has proven that different beliefs sometimes leads to persecution, torture and death. I'm not being melodramatic either. If we forget the past we are doomed to repeat it. This captain practically created a mob mentality while he deliberately embarassed those who don't share his religious beliefs.

Of course this isn't as serious as showing up drunk but so what? Most pilots have enough sense to not do what this guy did. It isn't so much about religion as it is about appropriate conduct for a person in a position of authority and responsibility. He abused that authority and punishment is warranted.

Dude

A captain is in a position of authority. That authority is real. For instance, if a captain believes that a passenger has acted unacceptably, the captain has the ability to radio ahead and have the passenger arrested on arrival. That is real power.

That being the case, the captain has a moral obligation to treat all passengers equally. If the captain starts the flight by making it clear that s/he regards being a christian as better, that's a big problem. 9/11 happened because one group of people thought their version of their religion was better. We just don't want to go there---that's something our founding fathers determined. It's unAmerican to say that your religious beliefs are better than another's.

Another obnoxious attitude is that one pilot should give another pilot a free pass on these issues because of "brotherhood". When one pilot does something wrong, s/he damages the reputation of all pilots. Why should a pilot's "brothers" let this go?

This reminds me of years ago when 7-11 bowed to pressure from the "Moral Majority" and removed Playboy and Penthouse from their news racks. I can understand that forcing a certain type of literature upon someone could be deemed offensive. It would be like say, oh I don't know, putting the Bible in everyone's Hotel room.

Ahhh, The flightinfo message board! It's Lord Of the Flies baby! The Cyber jungle.... only the strong zeros and ones survive!! Judge, jury and executioners we are! The he11 with democracy.

Forget his side of the story or any opportunity to self correct. I mean when I screw up (cause I am only human, no ones and zeros for me!) I want everyone to crucify..oops sorry folks I didn't mean to get christian on ya!. I mean I want everyone to impale ..damm it... those stupid crusades... I mean I want everyone to.... hmmm now let's see here what is a non religious way to kill someone. A government way? A firing squad? no too communist. Torture? No to dictator like......

Anyway, just do away with me cause that is what you want to happen to you when you make a mistake..right? Right?

If the guy insists on being a traveling Jim Baker then spank him...hard. Until then, switch to right guard, you wussies. Your 'strong enough for a man but made for woman' spunk is wearing me out.

Look in the mirror.

:mad:

Besides, they bought their tickets with money that says, "In God We Trust."

I would think that it said Visa or Master Card, etc. In any case which denomination is that god in "In God We Trust." anyway? Last time I checked just about every religion had a god of some form or type. Bottom line is that the guy had no business saying what he did over the P/A!

Now lets discuss something a little less inflamatory like... politics?

Sloth

Interesting discussion here. I have a few comments.

1.) What this Captain did was completely innapropriate. Reason being....I believe... a key part of effectively telling people about your faith is being smart about it, and thinking before you act. Having an airline Captain, whose job is to fly the plane, and having him put the believers AND the non-believers on the spot like he did, is not going to make the non-believers very receptive. I don't understand how an intelligent many like him could not have realized the reprucssions of what he was doing before he did it....how he could not know that the reactions of all the non-believers was likely to be, "Why is this guy pointing me out? I just want to sleep on the plane. It's not his job to preach to me."

2.) Being a believer myself, my personal choice of methods to spread the Word is by showing His love through example, simply through the way I live my life. Through example you make people want to have what you have, not by pounding them over the head with a Bible. This also means thinking before you witness. Telling people about the Lord is very tricky this day and age. This dosen't mean be ashamed and keep quiet..it just means you have to pray for wisdom, that you'll find the right opportunity to tell people. There really is a VERY fine line between "wittnessing" and "pushing"..and I find that in being a Christian, this is one of the most challenging things to learn. One could spend a lifetime learning this.

TWAdude and crashpad-

Please, please, spare us your hand-wringing "concern" over how "dangerous" this appears to you. It must be awful to live your lives in such fear of Christians.

Oh, by the way... BOO!

Last edited:
Pushing your particular brand of religion on a captive audience . . and using the PA to do it?

Incredibly bad form, bad judgement, and I'd give him a few weeks on the beach to "Pray about it".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back