Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where did you get that from?

G4G5,

Where did you hear that the incident happened during a pax rev flight? The incident happened during a reposition flight and obviously that is part of the reason the pilots got their jobs back. The public was not involded in the incident. It was a prank that went bad. However, I don't think the pilot should loose his job, no way.
Asking the passsengers if they are Christians is like asking the pax if they are strippers, gay, homosexuals, democrats, sinners, republicans, etc... Has only the potential of humiliating or embarassing paying customers.

"Hello folks, Captain speaking, any atheists onboard?. If so, please use the next 3 hours to convince all the religious freaks that God does not exits. Thank you."

Where did you hear that the incident happened during a pax rev flight? The incident happened during a reposition flight and obviously that is part of the reason the pilots got their jobs back. The public was not involded in the incident. It was a prank that went bad. However, I don't think the pilot should loose his job, no way.
It was a revenue flight. FO spilled his soup in his lap. Then took pants off to dry. FA calls up front and they joked that they "were naked up here". She takes napkins to cockpit and grabs her phone with camera. Takes picture and a check airman ends up seeing it. A Chief pilot gets involved and everything got distorted.

I stand corrected

TR4A,
What I heard was that it was non-rev and they did it as a prank. The FAs boyfriend saw the picture, got pissed and called to complain. Obviously wrong info but it explained why they got it back. Oh well. Thank you for the clarification. In any case, I am glad they got their jobs.

Wow - you guys have really enlightened me!

I'm just beginning to savor my newly-discovered ability to instill fear in the "unbeliever."

HAH!

I think I'm gonna bring back Krishna -style evangelizing in the airport - I hav an I.D., so I can get in. Giving away flowers or little mints with bible verses on them.

:rolleyes: :p

As long as I can go "airplane" on you, you can give me mints. A nice box of Altoids would be appreciated.

What I heard was that it was non-rev and they did it as a prank. The FAs boyfriend saw the picture, got pissed and called to complain. Obviously wrong info but it explained why they got it back. Oh well. Thank you for the clarification. In any case, I am glad they got their jobs.
That was one of the versions out there. Even management was saying different things. Part of the agreement was no disclosure.
The version I told was probably the closest to the truth.

I do not see how any one was forced to raise their hand. I do not see how this is so terrible; that the captain should be punished. Why can't someone bring up a topic and let the "audience" determine if they will participate in the converstion.

I agree, it might not be the thing to do, make such an announcement on every flight, but why not. To simply bring it up should not hurt anyone's feelings. What if the topic was not religion but something different?

"How many of you are one your way to a much anticipated vacation? Please raise your hand."

That is a personal question; I fell more so than religion. I believe if you are a person of faith or a religions person, that is a personal choice, but if you really believe in your decision it is not something you hide from people.

The question was asked, "would it be ok for a Muslim captain to ask every non-Muslim on board to read the Quran?" Sure. That is what America is about, freedom of religion and speech. Why take offense to that? It is just someone trying to help others in his / her own way. I would not be offended, but probably would not take him / her up on the suggestion.

It is pushing your religion when you do not respect the request from an individual or group that you are adressing to stop. Otherwise you are conversing / witnessing.

Why will the government / corporate america allow telemarketers to call my phone daily (usually the same places calling) even when I ask them to stop? That is more on the line of pushing and not "witnessing".

Just because the topic is religion it is taboo today and that is a bad thing.

Another thought on why this senior captain did this...

Not just because he is on his way out soon (speculation)...

Not just to get another 2 months off for some more witnessing...

But we are already three pages into the discusion, and this is a pretty isolated section of the country, or even the world.

Now his witnessing to a couple hundred pax has spread to witnessing to the country.

:) :)

mike

steveg said:
He's an aa pilot. You seem to have forgotten they are one step below God. They are absolutely right in everything they do. It certainly isn't our position to question the almighty apa tools.

Sarcasm intended.

hey steve, now don't lump all the AA guys together! don't forget there are 2,301 TWA good guys on the list at AA......just ask any AA guy if he is from TWA! you will piss off the SNB's and/or make a TWA smile! sadly there are only only a few hundred TWA guys not furloughed. ;)

I think the strong feelings this thread has obviously uncovered is the most interesting thing here. I am a Christian. I also think I am fairly intellectual. This seems to be a contradiction for many of you. There is a mindset in our current society that Christians are foolish, unreasonable, superstitious, idiots. This mindset is constantly reinforced by television, movies, books, and, of course, the media. Most people just start parroting these same ideas they have "learned" from pop culture whenever they get into a debate with a Christian. It is my belief that an uneducated person will often be a Christian. A moderately educated person usually becomes a non-Christian, because they have been shown the problems with it. The person that pursues the issue farther and becomes highly educated often comes full circle and becomes a Christian again. The key is pursuing Truth wherever it leads you. If you study history, archaelogy, evolution, biology, astronomy, etc. with an open mind, there is plenty of hard evidence that will convince you Christianity is true, and exclusively true. Our pluralistic society doesn't like it, but Truth is exclusive by nature. So yes, other religions are wrong, not totally wrong, but wrong.

There is much more I would like to say, but this would go on forever. However, let me end with this thought. This was a calm, non-imflammatory response I gave here. If some of you find yourself still getting angered over my "bible-thumping", perhaps you need to take a genuine look at yourself. This whole thread seems to exemplify what Jesus meant when he said the World would hate him and his message because darkness hates being exposed by the light.

Funny how the rabid Christians on this thread see nothing wrong with what this peabrain did.

However... How quickly they would condemn him if he was a Jew! Or a Muslim! Or a Buddhist!

As previously quoted...

"The Inquisition... Here we go...
The Inquisition... What a show..."

Etc.

Religious nuts make me ill, especially if they are Christian and attempt to hide behind the "I'm in the religious majority of my country and any foolishness I perpetrate on my customers is A-O-K, and God Bless you anyways."

You are scarier to me than the "average" Muslim. There are many more of you in this country and almost none of you recognize how dangerous you are to independent, rational thought... Certainly no more so than the "terrorists", and your kind can influence my Congressman. You are as frightening to me as a "dirty bomb".

"Witnessing", my a$$.

Latest resources

Back