• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More unprofessional AMR pilot behavior

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
True, but I do believe that the PLO tries every day to cross a line (massacre of civilians) and the Israelis try to avoid that, but there is enough tragedy to go around, that is for sure.

I do think the Israeli's "exploding cell-phone" technology is pretty cool . . . . there have been many times when my restaurant meal was disturbed by some loud-talking cell-phone-bellowing fool, when I sat wishing that his phone would explode, but, of course, that never happens (d'oh!).

Last edited:
100LL... Again! said:
It must be awful to live your lives in such fear of Christians.

Moreso than you can imagine. People like him participated in the Spanish Inquisition.

Dude

Unsolicited religion has no place

It makes me uneasy whenever belief gets inserted into the business world (let alone politics and education). I even did a double take years back when I flew on Alaska and my meal carton contained a piece of paper with a psalm on it. But, I thought, if this company has a strong Christian bent to it and this is the small way the public finds out about it, fine. But, if subsequently the captain came on PA and started discussing it, I would be seriously concerned (not as in "I have accepted Christ", which is a person's choice, but as in everyone in the cabin should try to convert your seat mates)
I think aside from "I think this turbulence will be strong," and "Dallas is nice this time of year," the only things coming from the cockpit over PA should be factual reporting relating to the flight.

As far as Isreal goes, didja ever notice that when the Israelis take a break from striking Palestinian areas, they get rewarded with a suicide bombing to restart the vicious cycle? They're at the point where they're building a friggin' fence around their country to keep out the bombers (although I don't agree with how they're building it) so that they don't have to take retalitory action. The Palestinians foster a culture of violence (I can direct you to some websites documenting this in Palestinian mainstream media and school curricululae ) and won't be satisfied until Israel no longer exists. And while this leaves Israel with very little choice on how to respond, I do think they occasionally go too far.

Yes, evangelicals in any faith are unreasonable because belief is not based on reason. I don't think this pilot should be terminated but if he does it again, then perhaps yes.

Re: Unsolicited religion has no place

Usually I'm game for a good debate on the Arab-Israeli conflict but since it isn't germane to this thread I'll be brief. The Arab camp is severely splintered between those who hate Israelis but are willing to accept some level of co-existence, and those who hate Israelis and will not accept co-existence. Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and parts of Fatah seek to derail any peace process since their goal is the destruction of Israel. They know Israel will defend herself and occasionally "overreact" in the world's opinion. As in many issues a huge double-standard exists between what behavior the world expects from Palestinians (sends children into harms way for political gain) and Israelis (expected to take blows without responding).

Personally I'm pessimistic about Israel's overall future. The Arab enemies of Israel are numerous, patient and hate-filled. Plus there's the "demographic bomb" of the Israeli Arab population growing far faster than the Jews. Few nations on this planet would protest if Israel became an Arab Palestine and the Jews were evicted because they think world terrorism would decrease as a result. That pesky double-standard again.

Dude

TWA Dude said:
As a member of the religious majority of this country it's only natural that you can't comprehend the seriousness of this captain inappropriately using the cockpit as his pulpit.
You made an erroneous assumption. A person of faith is not necessarily a Christian.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pilot8feb08,1,7369897.story

LOS ANGELES
Pilot Is Questioned After Asking Passengers to Talk About Religion
American Airlines questions his judgment in the incident on an L.A.-New York flight.

From a Times Staff Writer

An American Airlines pilot was being questioned Saturday for asking passengers on his Los Angeles-based flight to raise their hands if they were Christians, an airline spokesman said.

Rodger K. Findiesen of Annapolis, Md., then invited others to talk with those passengers about their religious beliefs during the 4 1/2-hour cross-country flight on Friday, spokesman Tim Wagner said.

Findiesen had recently visited a Christian mission in Costa Rica, Wagner said.

"I guess he was moved by the experience and wanted to share his emotions," the company spokesman said.

Wagner said airline officials had interviewed Findiesen about the incident aboard Flight 34 and had "already begun an investigation into it."

"It is a question of whether his judgment was appropriate while on duty," Wagner said, unsure of what company rules the pilot might have broken.

The guidelines "all boil down to just showing respect for our customers and employees," he said, "and making sure everyone feels comfortable on our flights."

Findiesen wouldn't comment on the incident Saturday, referring calls to airline officials.

The pilot told airline officials he made the comment as his Boeing 767-200 passenger plane was taking off from Los Angeles International Airport about 8 a.m., Wagner said. When other crew members received inquiries from some passengers, Findiesen told them he would be available to respond after the flight landed Friday afternoon at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York.

At least one passenger complained to a television station in New York City.

"At the moment, I do not know of any official complaints from passengers on board," Wagner said.

zonker said:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pilot8feb08,1,7369897.storyAn American Airlines pilot was being questioned Saturday for asking passengers on his Los Angeles-based flight to raise their hands if they were Christians, an airline spokesman said.
OK....now that we have some "facts" I also question the judgment of asking passengers to raise their hands if they are __________. Given what has happened during hijackings and other incidents I think it's wise not to identify yourself in situations like that. It sound to me like it was done in innocence and not an attempt to persecute anyone. If I had anything to say about it he would just get a verbal reprimand and a request to refrain from putting paying passengers on the spot like the that.

Concerning the remark about the SWA pilots being re-instated ...

There's a huge difference between losing your clothes for a few minutes and suggesting to fellow cult members that they recruit new followers for their illogical yet dangerous superstitions among a captive audience.

Hell ... everybody gets naked now and again.

:D

Reverend Thich Minh Thong

The difference is, two pilots removed their clothing during a pax rev flight.That's crazy. Who was watching the controls while the other guy was peeling off his shorts?

Here we have one member of a two man crew offering to invite folks to discuss his religious beliefs during the PA. While this pushes the enevlope(and I don't condone it). It in no way jepordized the safety of the flight.

My point was, don't expect to see the AA pilot get fired if both the naked flyers got their jobs back.

Latest resources

Back