Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last edited:
The point is, there continues to be tremendous downward pressure on airline pricing by American consumers. I don't see that same downward price pressure in the express freight business.
You will, eventually. And when you do, the pressure to "bring pilot wages into line with the market" will be very much on the minds of the stockholders, much as they have been at the passenger airlines. There's nothing "magic" about either airline mentioned in this discussion. They're currently paying well only because they can afford to. Fortunes can change very quickly, as any former BNF, CAL, EAL, PAA, or USA pilot will tell you.

Like people, companies, and the industries they serve, are entitled to about 15 minutes of fame. Overnight Express carriers and LCC's are at about 12 minutes and counting, by my stopwatch...

Whatever dude, sounds like sour grapes to me...The problem with passenger carriers is that your main revenue source (people) can get spooked and decide not to fly, which obviously affects your companies bottom line. God forbid another Haji decides to try another 9/11. People are not going to get spooked about sending their overnight letter, for fear that it will be terrorized. Global shipping is where the market is heading for the next 20+ years and FedEx has put itself in a position to take advantage.

Overnight Express carriers and LCC's are at about 12 minutes and counting, by my stopwatch...

Maybe you should spend those twelve minutes complaining about the age 60 rule.

Thanks, bud. I stand corrected. Good job, and proof positive we're a bunch of arseholes at SWA.

Well, it's your shoe, you fit it however you like. Nobody that I know who works for SWA is an ass...

I would bet if you did a big analysis you would find that people at SWA made their decision more on emotion and fedex guys based theirs more on logic (discounting a large contingent at both carriers who just went with the first phone call).

I can't say which method is better(or that better is even what we're talking about here), but I think it's the emotion that brings out the 'you don't want us, don't come here' attitude and the other method brings out the 'do whatever you decide' attitude.

Whistlin fails to account for the tremendous barriers to entry into the overnight delivery business.

That doesn't mean that FedEx is bulletproof, but we do have a kevlar vest on and are doing the best we can to ensure we stay alive.

FJ

Call Diane right now & tell her you are no longer interested in SWA for a career. Hope you don't hang your FEDEX brothers out there like the SWA buds that hooked you up...

Hope you don't hang your FEDEX brothers out there like the SWA buds that hooked you up...

What is it with the animosity? It's not like he's posting his 95 Theses on the door of the SWAttenburg Church. Sheesh.

Latest resources

Back