• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you were a new hire with less than a year of service at SWA and offered a job at Fed Ex would you go

Personally, yes. The pay is better (for now) and the company is growing by leaps and bounds. Medical is good, the retirement is still there (for now), the vacation is great, the mil leave policy is great, the work rules are some of the best in the industry, the people who work there are great. The biggest factor, however, is that you saw how UPS and FDX did in the years after 9/11. You also saw how the pax carriers did. I also personally think FDX is difficult to commute to (which is why I'm moving to planet MEM next year) and you will also do your fair share of night flying in the beginning. However, there is alot of day flying for those who want it. My .02.

lets also remember that FedEx was an actual "airline" designed from ground up for air freight purposes, then expanded into ground transport, etc areas. So they have various revenue streams.

Both companies are "true airlines", the PAX on fedex is just square shaped and made of cardboard, versus flesh and blood. Also the PAX on FedEx don't care if you penetrate-don't-be-late.

If your hometown is Dallas and grandma lives there (for your kids) and the wife has a local 6 figure salary, and SWA hires you, and bases you (magically) at DAL, well, I would go SWA.

Aside from that, both companies are great places to be.

Dont you think SWA will hit the wall when the fuel hedges run out, even though they are more eff. I don't foresee bad things happing to Fed Ex unless the USPS contract is broken up and dished out more than it is now. I think SWA will be a good career, but the stability seems to be at Fed Ex.

Dont you think SWA will hit the wall when the fuel hedges run out, even though they are more eff. I don't foresee bad things happing to Fed Ex unless the USPS contract is broken up and dished out more than it is now. I think SWA will be a good career, but the stability seems to be at Fed Ex.

No fuel will be in the 50's for 07. SWA will be fine.

If you're even considering it, you probably should go to FDX. There are thousands of people who would luv your seat in the 737. I imagine FDX would provide you a great career.

Latest resources

Back