• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My buddy at FedEx said you guys were looking down upon people picking up time because you were in contract talks. That's one thing that would never happen around here. It's definitely a work together situation. A great intangible that you can't find anywhere.

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Hopefully, you are saying the Southwest pilot group is so cohesive that if your contract goes past its amendable date, that NO ONE will pick up any open flying.

Hopefully, you are NOT saying that you think it is wrong for us to look down on other FedEX pilots who are flying open time when our contract was over TWO YEARS past due.

The pressure put on those who have been whoring themselves out, while the rest of us were refusing to fly extra in order to help speed up the contract negotiations, was definitely a valuable tool.

Dont you think SWA will hit the wall when the fuel hedges run out, even though they are more eff. I don't foresee bad things happing to Fed Ex unless the USPS contract is broken up and dished out more than it is now. I think SWA will be a good career, but the stability seems to be at Fed Ex.
What kind of fuel do FDX jets use. I was under the impression they used Jet -a also...silly me. I say go to FDX. I would rather fly with people who want to be here. Rain or shine.

What kind of fuel do FDX jets use. I was under the impression they used Jet -a also...silly me. I say go to FDX. I would rather fly with people who want to be here. Rain or shine.

What a tard. Look at aircraft utilization rates. Less time = Less fuel.

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Hopefully, you are saying the Southwest pilot group is so cohesive that if your contract goes past its amendable date, that NO ONE will pick up any open flying.

Hopefully, you are NOT saying that you think it is wrong for us to look down on other FedEX pilots who are flying open time when our contract was over TWO YEARS past due.

The pressure put on those who have been whoring themselves out, while the rest of us were refusing to fly extra in order to help speed up the contract negotiations, was definitely a valuable tool.

If it worked for you then good for you. Our management and union have shown to me they work together quite well and those draconian tactics are unnecessary around here and would do much to destroy morale and the company itself.

I have no idea on the numbers. I was WAGing it from a friend who works at FedEx. Some do the VJA thing but I never have. It's voluntary and the jetbridge ja, which isn't, has occurred on occasion.

My buddy at FedEx said you guys were looking down upon people picking up time because you were in contract talks. That's one thing that would never happen around here. It's definitely a work together situation. A great intangible that you can't find anywhere.

If anyone leaves SWA for FedEx I don't blame them. Job security is very important and is 99% assured at FedEx in the next 30 years. Plus, boat loads of money you cannot get at any other flying job. I put SWA at 60% assured job security. It's a mature company and as Gary Kelly has stated at a dinner a few months ago, "All companies go through 3 phases. Growth - Maturity - Decline (College Business 101 really). SWA is well into the maturity phase at it's current business plan." Obviously, he intends to change the plan but at what success will it have? We definitely aren't going to survive the next 30 years against competitors with similar yet better products. TVs, Internet, Satellite radio, More room, Assigned Seating, Cleaner Planes, etc... Additionally, attitudes around here are different than 10-15 years ago. I see more of a legacy airline in attitudes outside the TX border. It's unfortunate but it's not a company of 4000 employees anymore. All this adds up to much less job security than FedEx.

Really, what negative is there at FedEx? Night time flying. It's a big deal for many people. If they had 90% day flying I'd have my resume in there in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the reply. I agree, there's things at both companies that are good and bad. If someone feels like they'd be a better fit at another company, I'd say go for it, and good luck.

If it worked for you then good for you. Our management and union have shown to me they work together quite well and those draconian tactics are unnecessary around here and would do much to destroy morale and the company itself.

Glad to know you'd be a good man to have during a strike. Did you fly for Eastern?

HaHaHaHaHa.... LMAO.... That's a knee slapper.... Let me catch my breath... whew... that's better. Man, thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

Actually if you want to fly boxes and pax come to swa. We have an award winning cargo division that is a real money maker. The boxes often make or brake our profit on rtes. with low loads. I actually think I am a box driver with an additional duty to fly pax. and I do it all during the day. Never did 9 legs in a day but did do 8 once. I whined about it until the 20th came.....

I didn't do HPA but I did carry Herbs clubs once and said nice hit 125 times and made each one sound sincere.

Latest resources

Back