• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jeff is Challenging Scope.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a thought for some of you regional guys that have been bashing the mainline profession. When CAL/UAL wins 51+ seat scope, Delta and AMR will likely follow. According to the Boyd Group (and many others), the 50 seat RJ will be history in 10 years due to simple economics. Will your airline still pay $100K+ for you to fly whatever is left? When I look at it this way I understand why you so strongly support the continued decay of mainline jobs. For those that wish to work for a mainline carrier, all will be hiring in massive numbers with agressive movement due to attrition and addition of 51+ seat jets.

Last edited:
Just a thought for some of you regional guys that have been bashing the mainline profession. When CAL/UAL wins 51+ seat scope, Delta and AMR will likely follow..

No way in H E L L ual will completely give up their 51 seat scope overnight. It would cost them way too much. A slow phase out or drawdown I can see them doing, but no way they'll do it overnight. The lawsuits alone from the regionals who see contracts broken will be obscene. It'll be most interesting to see who alpa sides with as both majors and regionals will come crying should things not go their way.
The 51 seat drawdown will happen, but much more slowly than those at ual expect. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

It'll be most interesting to see who alpa sides with as both majors and regionals will come crying should things not go their way.
The 51 seat drawdown will happen, but much more slowly than those at ual expect. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

How is ALPA going to defend Skywest and Republic? Neither is an ALPA carrier!

Yogi

At this point I'm ready to either burn this place down or go on strike just out of the principle from all the BS since this whole contract negotiation started over 3 years ago.

[/QUOTE]No way in H E L L ual will completely give up their 51 seat scope overnight. It would cost them way too much. A slow phase out or drawdown I can see them doing, but no way they'll do it overnight. The lawsuits alone from the regionals who see contracts broken will be obscene.[/QUOTE]

No one said overnight. The likely senerio is implementing sunset clauses. Don't forget UAL wants to break the CAL pilots contract, that will be very expensive too.

[/QUOTE] It'll be most interesting to see who alpa sides with as both majors and regionals will come crying should things not go their way.
The 51 seat drawdown will happen, but much more slowly than those at ual expect. Patience, grasshopper, patience.[/QUOTE]

ALPA's structure is broken down by MEC. National will stay out of it. Scope is the number one agenda from both the UAL and CAL MECs, do you really think National will get involved and risk losing their biggest customer? It's not going to happen. National knows very well, they will make more money by supporting scope.

National knows very well, they will make more money by supporting scope.

Unless of course you have UAL now pull a USAIR. Almost 13000 pilots leaving ALPA for an independent union? I think ALPA knows where to bigger dollar sign is here. ALPA has put itself in the mess of trying to represent two groups of pilots that are opposed to each other, whether they like it or not. You can't have your cake and eat it too and ALPA is still trying to do just that.

What would happen if the new UAL pulled the plug on ALPA? I think alpa would fold. Perhaps alpa just put themselves into the proverbial, "CORNER", how can they support both sides? what if the new jcba has a strict scope and regionals do start losing flying and furlough as a result? or if scope gets shafted and the new UAL furloughs another 1,000 while 70 seaters run rampant and become an even larger part of mainline? who does alpa support? These scenarios may lead to the demise of alpa, especially at UAL.

The demise of ALPA is well under way at DAL. The days of sending 30,000,000 a year to support further outsourcing of our jobs are over. Where was ALPA when the whole UAL/Air Lingus thing went down? Oh, that's right there were some play nice protests and the widebody jobs were outsourced anyway. This is a shot across the bow to every pilot group by every company. Don't think for a minute the AA, Delta, Us Air aren't sitting back scheming to come up with a way to transfer widebody flying to our codeshare carriers...and thus our top paying jobs that we all strive for to end our carreers at the top of the food chain. Scope is no longer about just the RJ's....we now have to worry about Ethiad, Ethiopian, Emirates, ect. In the future which includes ALPA at your company you will see our jets painted in "Star Alliance" or "One World" colors...and the subsequent pilot groups whipsawed against each other and the flying being transferred to the lowest bidder.....JUST as it is now in the US domestic RJ market.

Continuing to send dues to National Alpa is like paying the retainer for your wife's divorce lawyer.

HTML:
http://www.delta-pilots.org/

Again, ALPA will follow the money. What is 1.95% of a regional airlines pilot payrole vs. a mainline payroll? Don't you think ALPA wants to see RJ payscales increase significantly? Do think ALPA wants to see A320s and 737s parked and replaced by RJs? Not a chance. Your right, ALPA is in a quagmeir, however, at the end of the day they will do what is best for them.

Additionally, I would guess the vast majority of regional pilots support additional scope provisions. Perhaps the few that have no aspirations to pursue a major airline career have a DFR case.

Latest resources

Back