• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jeff is Challenging Scope.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DONT RELEASE SCOPE! OFFER TO DO REGIONAL FLYING AT THE SAME RATES! That would be a pay raise for all current FOs who became Captains and you'd lay the foundation for future pilots to have longer seniority.

DONT RELEASE SCOPE! OFFER TO DO REGIONAL FLYING AT THE SAME RATES! That would be a pay raise for all current FOs who became Captains and you'd lay the foundation for future pilots to have longer seniority.

Mgmt will NOT fall for this sucker punch as A) they have to pay major airline benefits, B) they will lose the financial flexibility to outsource cheaply, and C) they know that once the flying is brought in house, higher rates will be demanded.

Mgmt will NOT fall for this sucker punch as A) they have to pay major airline benefits, B) they will lose the financial flexibility to outsource cheaply, and C) they know that once the flying is brought in house, higher rates will be demanded.

No one thinks that mgmt is going to "fall" for anything, but if Smisek's business plan for the new United going forward is to utilize 70+ seat aircraft, he better wrap his head around the idea that they're going to be flown by mainline pilots. Any TA that provides SCOPE relief will never pass. This isn't the same old Continental Ghost of Christmas Past. Oh, and while I'm at it Jeff, I wanted to personally thank you and your team for dragging your feet long enough with these contract negotiations to get us another 148 "NO" votes back on property. I'm sure they will come in handy...

Last edited:
No one thinks that mgmt is going to "fall" for anything, but if Smisek's business plan for the new United going forward is to utilize 70+ seat aircraft, he better wrap his head around the idea that they're going to be flown by mainline pilots. Any TA that provides SCOPE relief will never pass. This isn't the same old Continental Ghost of Christmas Past. Oh, and while I'm at it Jeff, I wanted to personally thank you and your team for dragging your feet long enough with these contract negotiations to get us another 148 "NO" votes back on property. I'm sure they will come in handy...

Just to be clear, are you saying that any cba which includes regional flying 51 seats and above won't pass? Or is it 70 seats and above? Or is it ALL regional flying? Just wondering what will contractually pass muster. Thx.

Just to be clear, are you saying that any cba which includes regional flying 51 seats and above won't pass? Or is it 70 seats and above? Or is it ALL regional flying? Just wondering what will contractually pass muster. Thx.

Yes, that is probably a better way of saying it; my apologies. Any TA that allows the regionals to fly 51 seats and above will not pass (excluding the current Q-400 loophole the company found). Continental's Scope clause is the best part of our current CBA, and we're not about to give that up. The culture at this place changing fast, one retirement at a time.

Let us not forget that contract carriers provide liability protection. Management knows aircraft accidents are going to happen. They use contract carriers to protect the main line from the lawsuits. Colgan is a great example they crashed and Continental claims to have no involvement or know anything about Colgan’s operations and walked away. Colgan will be a memory before the lawsuits are settled.

Let us not forget that contract carriers provide liability protection. Management knows aircraft accidents are going to happen. They use contract carriers to protect the main line from the lawsuits. Colgan is a great example they crashed and Continental claims to have no involvement or know anything about Colgan’s operations and walked away. Colgan will be a memory before the lawsuits are settled.

Yes. ..........

LOL-OK. If you think a driver of outsourcing is the deferral of liability, I have a long, fat bridge to sell you. Outsourcing simply provides flexibility and cost savings through whipsawing. Insurance covers liability and besides, attorneys will direct their attentions to where the money, and outsourcing decisions were made, big momma. Any jury of non aviators will tell you that. CAL had very little oversite which was probably on purpose. Speaking of regional vs. major safety, it was just a short time ago and the fortunate placement of a concrete building in DEN which fortunately allowed everyone to walk away from an epic disaster.

This is a hot topic in congress right now. Expect it to change.

Latest resources

Back