• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jeff is Challenging Scope.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
. I went from 100k a year as an instructor at a regional to 17k take home at a major the first year. Why? Who the f*** knows, but I know for a fact that I'm making more now than a 13 year Capt at a regional after 4 years. And it keeps going up while under a concessionary contract that blows.....ie POS 02. We'll see who's on top in a few years...........

Really? Base pay for a 12 year instructor at XJT is $115,500 and that is not a moment of extra time, which all those greedy bastards take, realistically they make north of $160,000 with an exceptional QOL. Line pilot makes a base of $81,000 without any extra time and will have at least 16 days off, and all holidays off and very good 401k contribution from the company, and good health insurance with a 90% coverage. And that's under a concessionary contract as well.

In the end I would agree with you, and take the major job because I don't trust the subcontractor's future, but I certainly wouldn't say that it's an easy or correct choice.

Joemerchant,

Your a moron, thats as simple as I can put it. Bringing "your" flying (its actually mainlines) back to mainline WHERE IT BELONGS will help the careers of regional pilots in the long run. Now, your making 100k a year at a regional with a good schedule and lots of time off right? I would guess that makes you pretty senior and therefore have little to worry about. So why is it that you don't want that flying to come back to mainline and therefore giving younger and more junior regional pilots a better chance to have a better career at a major?

So I should give up my good schedule for someone else? I thought seniority meant something?

mamba20 said:
I flew for a regional and it was always my goal to spend as little time as possible at that level. I got into flying because I love to fly and I wanted to fly for a major. I can't speak for all regional pilots, however I can tell you that the vast majority of the people I know that flew or currently fly for regionals want/ed to spend the least amount of time there possible. Bringing that flying back to the majors helps regional pilots who want to move on to a major! Stop with your me, me, me scab mentality!

That was my goal 16 years ago also. However the mainline pilots sold this flying for their convenience....then came the dot.com bubble, 911, SARS, and the financial crises.....I now have altered my flight plan and it is about me...as is everyone else on here including YOU!

Actually Joemerchant moron might be a little harsh. But self centered and arrogant are not.

No different than the mainline pilots who created this mess.....Guilty as charged!

Hey Joe: You act like a punk. Since we're in the middle of handling this issue right now (for the next 6 days or so) how about you give this thread a break?

I'm a "punk"?...How about you arrogant mainline pilots who created this mess and now don't like it....Screw you!

Flopgut said:
Since there is no shortage of mgts who want to do harm to mainline pilots' careers, I'm sure you'll always have a job. But right now, there are a LOT of careers in the balance. This discussion is not for you right now.

There are alot of careers in the balance INCLUDING those of us who had to make a career here because YOU sold this flying.....My career is more important to me than yours....Sorry, but this "brotherhood" and this so-called "union" created this mess...Deal with it! My career is in the balance too, but I don't think you really care now do you?

HMMMM, lots of time off and a 100k a year as a RJ pilot? One of those two isn't happening junior.

Actually both of them are true....I guess you haven't kept up with the times...16-18 days off a month, no holidays....This isn't your father's "commuter" anymore.....

That's all well and good, but if you fly for a outsource provider, you are only as good as your last capacity agreement signed with the major airline partner. I know Comair looked real good in 1992. You can replaced by another regional who can do the outsource work for less.

How about the pilots who flew for Eastern, PanAm, TWA, Braniff, etc.....That's all well and good, but you never know if you made the right choice till you taxi under the water salute...Regional or "major"...

I'm a "punk"?...How about you arrogant mainline pilots who created this mess and now don't like it....Screw you!

There are alot of careers in the balance INCLUDING those of us who had to make a career here because YOU sold this flying.....My career is more important to me than yours....Sorry, but this "brotherhood" and this so-called "union" created this mess...Deal with it! My career is in the balance too, but I don't think you really care now do you?

You're right. We created this problem. Now we are going to fix it!

Latest resources

Back