Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ALPA Really Going To Allow This To Happen At UAL??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Madrid is a market we would not be able to serve on our own," United spokeswoman Jean Medina said.

Hey Jean,
Don't go there then!!

Someone please tell me quickly that this is not as bad as it looks and that it will never takeoff. Otherwise ALPA national and international better find a way to kill this. I am sure the answer will be Ok what else will you give us from your contract?

2 words. "SCOPE RELIEF"

"The Irish carrier will contribute three new Airbus A330 jets to the Europe-based venture and recruit pilots who aren't employees of either airline to fly them."

Sad Truths:

- ALPA national is rendered powerless, by design, over this multi-national enterprise.

- U.S. law, with some exceptions and also quite by design, will be rendered a moot point in this venture.

- UAL-ALPA, it's Contract, and it's Pilots are effectively neutered by this agreement. ( These are not UAL aircraft. )

- Scumbags will be lining up at the door to fly for whatever this Irish-American-Euro-Trash outfit is going to be called...And they will be quite happy to fly these A330's for $99.99 per hour as PIC. The copilots will be paid $23.00 dollars an hour and they will be ecstatic because they will be 200 hour wunder-kinds with their brand new MPL.

Welcome to The Brave New World.....Accept your reality now and the future will be so much less painful.

Resistance is futile.

YKMKR

Thats exactly why this will work! Unless UAL pilots are willing to strike the place into the ground to stop it, which they wont. You will eventually see American pilots like this being "farmed" out.

I say its time for the big guns.

SOS. All alpa carriers and support for non-alpa carriers who wish to jump on the bandwagon.

If this is not a reason for SOS then nothing is.

This is why I voted for Obama......With him at the helm this has a very low chance of succeeding! It doesn't mean Tilton and his cronies can't try but they will have the govt. and the unions against him every step of the GD way.

This is why I voted for Obama......With him at the helm this has a very low chance of succeeding! It doesn't mean Tilton and his cronies can't try but they will have the govt. and the unions against him every step of the GD way.
I usually agree with you, but this one I'm going to have to disagree with.

The only realistic way Obama could stop it is if he repealed Open Skies completely, which opens a whole NEW can of worms...

It's going to take "burning down the house" at several Legacies to get out of the Draconian rules set up during bankruptcy to keep this a viable career. I give it 50/50 if today's pilots have the stomach for it... I hope they do.

Wow... the self defeatist and whiners are in abundance.....

Recall the UAL pilots in 1985 successfully struck and won. They've done it, and can do it again.

More importantly, all the cry babies on this thread have one thing in common....

"What is ALPA going to do?"

"ALPA had better...."

"If ALPA doesn't, then we are all screwed"

No one.... has stated.... "when and where do we strike. Count me in. I am solid, unified and ready to fight for my career"

Time to man up.......

With threats like this are excellent opportunies to rally the support and get in lock step with your fellow pilots. You don't have to be a UAL pilot to stand with the UAL pilots.......

Antitrust questions dog airline alliances

by: D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
Saturday, March 14, 2009
3/14/2009 3:51:51 AM

A congressman, concerned about the growing power of global airline alliances and their effect on air fares, has introduced legislation calling for a federal study of alliances and the antitrust immunity they receive.

An airline industry trade group, however, says withdrawing antitrust immunity from airline alliances would carry a heavy price tag and cost the industry 15,000 jobs.

"Arbitrarily terminating antitrust immunity will have a harsh impact on airline employees and cause a ripple effect across the travel and tourism industry at a time when U.S. employment is escalating rapidly," said James C. May, chairman of the Air Transport Association, in a letter last week to Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn.

In February, Oberstar introduced H.R. 831, "A Bill to Ensure Adequate Airline Competition." Its provisions have since become attached to the FAA Reauthorization Bill, which is being considered by the House.

"I have become increasingly concerned with the decline of competition in international markets, particularly between the United States and Europe," Oberstar said. "These markets used to be served by independent carriers from most European countries and by a number of U.S. carriers. Increasingly, the market has come under the control of three alliances composed of one or more U.S. carriers and several European carriers."

Oberstar, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said three major airline alliances have come to dominate world airline service. They include the Star Alliance led by United Airlines, the SkyTeam alliance formed by Delta Air Lines and the oneworld alliance, whose members include American Airlines.

Alliance members, Oberstar said, have shifted from cooperating on ticketing and terminal lounges to asking the government to grant members of the alliance antitrust immunity to jointly plan services and fares across international markets.

Star and SkyTeam have been granted both U.S. and European Union antitrust immunity. An application for immunity by oneworld's American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia was filed last August, and a decision is expected this year.

Oberstar's legislation calls for a study of airline alliances by the Government Accountability Office. The GAO study would investigate:

• The legal requirements and policies followed by the Department of Transportation in deciding whether to approve alliances and grant antitrust exemptions.
  • Whether there should be changes to the legislative authority under which DOT determines whether to grant antitrust immunity.
  • Whether the DOT should exercise the right it has reserved to amend, modify or revoke any antitrust immunity previously granted.

"These alliances have strong market power," Oberstar said. "Combined, the Star, SkyTeam and oneworld alliances account for almost 80 percent of the total world airline capacity, 78 percent of world revenue passenger kilometers and 73 percent of passengers carried. These three alliances control over 87 percent of the traffic between the United States and Europe."

Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd Group International, an Evergreen, Colo., airline consultant, said alliances enhance passenger traffic and are "generally" beneficial.

"When American Airlines code shares with oneworld's Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific, it gives them access to places they would never get to. That's fine," Boyd said. "The question is, when does an airline become a lift provider and lose its individuality? If Iberia flies a route and shares the revenue as if American flew it, it's going to hurt American jobs."

Greg Overman, spokesman for American's Allied Pilots Association, which represents 13,000 pilots, said Oberstar's legislation makes sense.

"In principle, the idea of a GAO study is in keeping with what we have been saying all along, which is: Let's take a long look at this," he said.

D.R. Stewart 581-8451
[email protected]

Copyright © 2009, World Publishing Co. All rights reserved

Latest resources

Back