Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ALPA Really Going To Allow This To Happen At UAL??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes but usually whenever UAL expands it's b/c they are codesharing thru/with th airline that is flying the route---- IE, UAL is not getting any new planes, using united's pilot group, or creating new jobs b/c of it.

They need major contract language training-- i've seen not only better contract language at the regional level, but better rules in general ( not all but soem of the important ones) IE--- on reserve at a particular regional if you show up for duty--BAM! 5 hours of pay-------or if you DH-- BAM 5 hours of duty--- but yet at UAL you DH to cvg to ord for your duty day woohoo :58 at 32 and hour-----

FIX IT

The cluelessness of so many posters is really shining in this thread. And for the guy(s) that claim to be UA pilots, have you called your rep or attending a union meeting or done ANYTHING besides read flightinfo.com to get any facts concerning this? I mean, you guys are acting like this is "new" information. We knew about this weeks ago.

1) First, the ALPA bashers. You guys are bashing ALPA over this? GMAFB. If I didn't have ALPA on the property, they'd be using UNITED airplanes with non-United pilots on these routes. ALPA is the only thing that is preventing that from happening.

2) I hate to say it, but this whole thing is just another code share. If you're posting on this thread and your airline has a codeshare with ANY other airline, you're going to have to explain to me how this is any different than the codeshare relationship you have with your partners. It's just another airline flying routes you could be flying. Yup, it sucks.

3) If there is a pilot group that really screwed up, unfortunately it's the Aer Lingus guys. It's THEIR airplanes that are being taken away from THEM and being flown by ANOTHER PILOT GROUP.

Most of you guys are getting worked up into a lather because because you see Aer Lingus pilots getting their aircraft taken away to be flown by non-union pilots. Great. Get worked up over that and support those guys because it does suck for them. Keep that from happening at your airline. If you have ALPA on your property, it probably can't happen anyway.

On this end of the pond however, I can't think of a major airline that doesn't have a codeshare with a foreign carrier with routes that could otherwise be flown by U.S. pilots. If that's what you're upset about......great. Where were you a decade ago? And why are you only bashing UA?

Very Valid points not to mention this has already been tried and is successful.. Open Skies airline has bypassed BALPA. They fly 757s across the Atlantic without British Airways pilots.

This is now a shot directly across OUR bow. The implications are far reaching. This is not just about UAL, everyone from AA to SWA better watch this, it will impact all of us.

AA

PIC on the A330, in sunny Spain? Sign me up! I like the idea of a fresh start-up....the type of operation that doesn't need union interference.
You truly are a Bush Republican than. Nice Avitar shows your true colors. A scab in waiting I bet.

The cluelessness of so many posters is really shining in this thread. And for the guy(s) that claim to be UA pilots, have you called your rep or attending a union meeting or done ANYTHING besides read flightinfo.com to get any facts concerning this? I mean, you guys are acting like this is "new" information. We knew about this weeks ago.

1) First, the ALPA bashers. You guys are bashing ALPA over this? GMAFB. If I didn't have ALPA on the property, they'd be using UNITED airplanes with non-United pilots on these routes. ALPA is the only thing that is preventing that from happening.

2) I hate to say it, but this whole thing is just another code share. If you're posting on this thread and your airline has a codeshare with ANY other airline, you're going to have to explain to me how this is any different than the codeshare relationship you have with your partners. It's just another airline flying routes you could be flying. Yup, it sucks.

3) If there is a pilot group that really screwed up, unfortunately it's the Aer Lingus guys. It's THEIR airplanes that are being taken away from THEM and being flown by ANOTHER PILOT GROUP.

Most of you guys are getting worked up into a lather because because you see Aer Lingus pilots getting their aircraft taken away to be flown by non-union pilots. Great. Get worked up over that and support those guys because it does suck for them. Keep that from happening at your airline. If you have ALPA on your property, it probably can't happen anyway.

On this end of the pond however, I can't think of a major airline that doesn't have a codeshare with a foreign carrier with routes that could otherwise be flown by U.S. pilots. If that's what you're upset about......great. Where were you a decade ago? And why are you only bashing UA?

I hope you are more upset about this than your post conveys. Did you see what happened with Midwest Airlines? If you guys don't stop this at UAL, we will all be on the street in short order. In this scenario, the guy flying the 777 or 744 is no longer safe from outsourcing. THIS IS DIFFERENT!

it's never too late for the behind the scenes deal to be made---- AT TSA, we made it very clear that if you are going to be terminated or disciplined severely, not to expect the union to trade stuff, like grievances---- as in we wont fire him if you make such and such grievance go away--- we would just say screw it, we'll win them both- it's just a matter of time--- unfortunately the UAL local hasnt had magmnts number for -- how does that email go 5 years 9 months 2 weeks, 2 days 15 hours, 12 minutes and 4 seconds.... GMAFB

we've had so many damn ual/alpa slogans we could have a david letterman top ten:

we're taking it back
fix it

please enter your own to make 10

i mean we cant even get our message board back up

I see, how's that Go Jet thing working out?

I hope you are more upset about this than your post conveys. Did you see what happened with Midwest Airlines? If you guys don't stop this at UAL, we will all be on the street in short order. In this scenario, the guy flying the 777 or 744 is no longer safe from outsourcing. THIS IS DIFFERENT!

Stop what, Roswell? Stop United management from taking UAL airplanes and flying them with non-UAL pilots? OK, we've done that.

Stop Aer Lingus pilots from giving up their jets so that non Aer Lingus pilots don't fly them? Ummm.....OK. How do you suggest we do that?

Stop all code sharing? Ummmm......OK. If you're upset about code sharing then why are you directing that comment only to UAL (you said "you guys")? What airline do you work for and what are you doing on your end?

Stop what, Roswell? Stop United management from taking UAL airplanes and flying them with non-UAL pilots? OK, we've done that.

Stop Aer Lingus pilots from giving up their jets so that non Aer Lingus pilots don't fly them? Ummm.....OK. How do you suggest we do that?

Stop all code sharing? Ummmm......OK. If you're upset about code sharing then why are you directing that comment only to UAL (you said "you guys")? What airline do you work for and what are you doing on your end?

Yes this is a codeshare. You are correct. I work for a carrier that UAL codeshares with also. We have taken over a large portion of UAL's domestic flying. I want to fly for UAL or another legacy someday. If this 'trial balloon' is successful, I doubt there will be many viable legacies left to work for.

Let's examine some facts about this codeshare:
-Aer Lingus will supply A330 aircraft.
-The new carrier will fly with UAL/Aer Lingus code from IAD-MAD to start.
-A new air carrier certificate is being started, will it be a U.S. carrier or an EU carrier?
-Non UAL or Aer Lingus pilots will be hired to fly these routes.

Look, many pilots who have long since retired saw no harm in allowing some CRJs to fly at Comair in 1994. 15 years later the majority of legacy domestic flights are on 'regional jet' type aircraft. This is the proverbial camel sticking its nose under the tent. I am not picking on you guys at UAL. It just happens that unfortunately, your management has decided to try this out. You guys are the first to see this type of outsourcing and your failure to stop it could be catastrophic. Just like in 1994 with the CRJ, the power is in the hands of the mainline pilot group.

You guys are the first to see this type of outsourcing and your failure to stop it could be catastrophic. Just like in 1994 with the CRJ, the power is in the hands of the mainline pilot group.

Roswell41-

This issue had everyone's full attention- weeks ago when this issue first came out. Why it's suddenly getting attention now on this forum is beyond me. And we have protections in our current contract that prevent what happened to the Aer Lingus guys from happening to us. However, concerning codeshares, the camel is already in the tent unfortunately. I suspect mainline pilots will have as much success rolling back existing codeshares as they will rolling back RJ flying.

Last edited:

Are you trying to convey that you are OK with this? Is it OK if ANA since they are a code share partner, leases a 747 and starts flying SFO HNK with non union pilots from a third party?? This is different, very different. Niether code share partner if flying the airplane. That is different and it is huge and so far WE(UAL Pilots)/ALPA have failed to stop it.

Everyone is rehashing this because the Chicago Tribune ran a full page story about this on the front page of its business section yesterday.

Latest resources

Back