• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In house negotiating committee at Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the high turnover at Colgan, ALPA wouldn't really work.

Experience has shown the exact opposite is true. Pinnacle once lost 30% of its CA's in 3 months. Four years of longevity typically puts you in the top 25% of the seniority list. A strong national union provides a lot of support and stability to the locals when the locals can't keep their positions staffed due to attrition.

It didn't take long to go from pay raise to in-house negotiating committee. Looks like the union busting program is moving along nicely. Next, look for them to send us a survey to see what issues we want addressed. They will then pick a couple that don't cost a penny and give them to us. My guess is no hats will be first.

Last edited:
If you want an in house commity make sure you guys elect Chuck Colgan as your rep I am sure he will do a great job. And when you do so look to the past, which I know for most of the colgan crew is in months not years. So let me remind you all of his commitment to you. He has a great history of providing the type of working environemt that any pilot would love. Long hard days, limited sick calls, zero worker protcetion and zero benifits. Just remember you are there to basically work for food seeing as how thats about all your pay check can cover. All you need to be is thankful you have a job.

an organized pilot commitee does not offer license protection or protection from bunk pc checks or line checks

Not to mention Aeromedical help, a safety structure, an accident investigation team, a legal team, and the list goes on. ALPA is a whole lot more than just negotiating.

If you have a union, rather than a committee, your jobs will not be protected. Without a legal union, if any committee members oppose, or in any way bother, management, then they will be fired. Maybe they'll have one of those difficult PC's, or whatever....

Seriously F the union. All that money for a stupid magazine subscription. Now there it talk of Pinnacle pilots wanting to fly the Q400 and have it written into their new contract. I really still think many people at Colgan are still on the fence about the union. A commitee would be a better idea in my opinion. WE haven't needed a union so far at Colgan. Is the union thing going to even pass? EVeryone I talk to says they aren't voting for it. What is needed for a majority? The union worked really well at Mesa. What do they get like 19 dollars an hour the first year? At least with a committee we are in a position to get some crap done right away because the company doesn't want a union. Unions protect the weak. You bust a PC maybe you shouldn't be flying around human beings. I will give you an example of a committe working well. Look at the now out of businees Tower Air. They had a pilot committee for 15 years and it worked great. Then the union came in and the place is now out of business because because the owner said screw you I am shutting down I don't need all the headaches. What is going to stop Pinnacle from just dissolving COlgan if we get a union and starting a new company? Having a union doesn't mean we are getting anymore money in our paychecks. THey can tell us to screw off just the same. Unions protect the weak and lazy. Until a union comes along that really is there to help us and not just take all of our money than screw them. We will see with this stupid vote I am voting to have a vote because this is America but from the people that I have interacted with I really don't think a union will pass. The union needs to start convincing us more. We havent been crapped on yet we needed to get crapped on by the company first.

Not to mention Aeromedical help, a safety structure, an accident investigation team, a legal team, and the list goes on. ALPA is a whole lot more than just negotiating.
okay, you guys make good points. But ALPA is not an answer to every issue at every airline everywhere. I think you need to look at where you work and decide what's best for you and your airline.
I don't know much about Pinnacle management and you seem to be fairly senior so i'll have to take your word for it.
I love how it's always the same guys that b*&^ch and complain about Colgan, and they make it sound like they speak for all of us. (they don't)
If an important reason that you want a union at Colgan is for liscence and medical protection, then you may need to take a good look in the mirror. I know a lot of people in the training department and i can tell you that nobody in that department is looking to jamm anyone up. The guys that go around crying foul are the guys that should have been let go a long time ago. (i have flown with a lot of them)
Most of the pilots here would much rather keep the 1.9% of their already low pay, keep their noses clean and move on. If an issue arises, they can always get legal help on their own. (yeah it may initially cost more, but if you never use it, you save an incredible amount of money.)
I also know the people on the organizing committee, and most of those guys aren't going to be here in 6 months. Two of those guys are leaving emmidiately.
My point is that ALPA is not a blanket answer to the issues every airline.

Most of the pilots i speak to are leaning toward a union at colgan.and it probably will go to a vote and pass. Just the legal representation alone is reason enough, an in-house committee would be a joke to appease everyone. I Haven't fully decided but its clear from the current work rules, and the new payscale, that something more than a powerless committee is needed. This is now a company of almost 400 pilots and growing owned by a major corporation. Alot of people need to get their heads out of the sand and at least be open-minded

You guys need a union if for nothing more than some protection when (not if) the lists get merged or you get the two companies whipsawed against each other.

Don't think it'll happen? Look at Skywest/ASA.

Hey I have an idea how about all those who don't work at Colgan shut up especially those with 800 hours and aren't 121 pilots. Sound good? Great!

Latest resources

Back