• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In house negotiating committee at Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What Colgan pilots decide will effect pilots industry-wide. You need to realize that you don't live in a vacuum.

Seriously F the union. All that money for a stupid magazine subscription. Now there it talk of Pinnacle pilots wanting to fly the Q400 and have it written into their new contract. I really still think many people at Colgan are still on the fence about the union. A commitee would be a better idea in my opinion. WE haven't needed a union so far at Colgan. Is the union thing going to even pass? EVeryone I talk to says they aren't voting for it. What is needed for a majority? The union worked really well at Mesa. What do they get like 19 dollars an hour the first year? At least with a committee we are in a position to get some crap done right away because the company doesn't want a union. Unions protect the weak. You bust a PC maybe you shouldn't be flying around human beings. I will give you an example of a committe working well. Look at the now out of businees Tower Air. They had a pilot committee for 15 years and it worked great. Then the union came in and the place is now out of business because because the owner said screw you I am shutting down I don't need all the headaches. What is going to stop Pinnacle from just dissolving COlgan if we get a union and starting a new company? Having a union doesn't mean we are getting anymore money in our paychecks. THey can tell us to screw off just the same. Unions protect the weak and lazy. Until a union comes along that really is there to help us and not just take all of our money than screw them. We will see with this stupid vote I am voting to have a vote because this is America but from the people that I have interacted with I really don't think a union will pass. The union needs to start convincing us more. We havent been crapped on yet we needed to get crapped on by the company first.

Last time I checked you were a "new hire", and if thats the case I suggest you SHUTDAFUCUP... You have no idea what the hell you are talking about and your post is just an attempt to create trouble.

It is amazing to me that you people actually think that alpa will be able to do anything for us. I dont know about you but I am not concerned about retirement, sexual harassment protection or busting my PC. These are the only things that they will be able to protect. At the great lunch in IAD the other day, which was paid for with pilot dues, these were the only solid issues that they claimed they would protect. I know that everyone out there has some issue with this company, but also think about the times that they have helped you out. A new union contract will still allow us to work 16 hour days, be junior assigned, and the same exact pay. Colgan will not have to agree to any terms and there is no way that we will be able to strike because the courts will not allow it. There are times that they make us do an extra leg and if you talk to them they will give you draft pay. THis will all be gone. The company will use the new crappy contract against us. The in house committee would be a good thing. We would be able to negotiate with the company directly and use forming a Union as leverage.

The bottom line is that a union will not pass. I have over 220 people who are not interested in joining the union. The committee is working fast and will start negotiating with management, but we have to do this before the union comes to a vote, otherwise we have nothing to hold over their head.

Last time I checked you were a "new hire", and if thats the case I suggest you SHUTDAFUCUP... You have no idea what the hell you are talking about and your post is just an attempt to create trouble.

I think your wrong, I Rock was dead on. A union is a great thing for large companies where you want to be forever, but when you want to get in and get out it will only hinder us. Almost all the people i talked to who want a union are all the people that dont want to work.

Care to post that list Dr. King? BTW, F-16? Doing what checking fuel samples and cleaning canopies, right? TOOL

Alpa Sux

I was hoping someone else would jump in so I wouldn't have to, but here's the scoop. By even considering an in-house "committee", you are playing into the hand of your management. More specifically, they are playing right out of the Ford & Harrison playbook, and you are going along for the ride. It worked at CommutAir, and it will probably work at Colgan too, because it seems like such a good idea.

You have a relatively small company, with decent relations with your management. You all just want to get along. Some hot-heads want to form a union, but some others think you can form a committee. Does "Mutual Interest Committee" ring any bells with my CommutAir friends? The MIC was "suggested" by a very senior captain who just happened to have close ties to management. It was presented as an alternative to national union representation. Enough people bought the idea that the union was defeated.

Then the committee was formed, ideas were hashed out, plans were made, and meetings were held. A lot of good people put in a lot of hard work. What came of it? A slight increase in the size of the bidding target window. (Now instead of bidding trips that add up to a certain 5-hour range, we have a 10-hour range to hit.) Anything else? Well, we got our health benefits cut and our share of the cost increased. We got a great new attendance policy with the word "termination" occurring more than the word "the". We lost our on-time incentive bonus. Am I forgetting anything?

So, go ahead. Dream about "can't we all just get along." That dream will last until the votes are counted and a union is defeated.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Seriously F the union. All that money for a stupid magazine subscription. Now there it talk of Pinnacle pilots wanting to fly the Q400 and have it written into their new contract. I really still think many people at Colgan are still on the fence about the union. A commitee would be a better idea in my opinion. WE haven't needed a union so far at Colgan. Is the union thing going to even pass? EVeryone I talk to says they aren't voting for it. What is needed for a majority? The union worked really well at Mesa. What do they get like 19 dollars an hour the first year? At least with a committee we are in a position to get some crap done right away because the company doesn't want a union. Unions protect the weak. You bust a PC maybe you shouldn't be flying around human beings. I will give you an example of a committe working well. Look at the now out of businees Tower Air. They had a pilot committee for 15 years and it worked great. Then the union came in and the place is now out of business because because the owner said screw you I am shutting down I don't need all the headaches. What is going to stop Pinnacle from just dissolving COlgan if we get a union and starting a new company? Having a union doesn't mean we are getting anymore money in our paychecks. THey can tell us to screw off just the same. Unions protect the weak and lazy. Until a union comes along that really is there to help us and not just take all of our money than screw them. We will see with this stupid vote I am voting to have a vote because this is America but from the people that I have interacted with I really don't think a union will pass. The union needs to start convincing us more. We havent been crapped on yet we needed to get crapped on by the company first.

You must be new here

As an ex-colgan now alpa member, i like to think I have seen the two sides. You guys can argue union or non-union all you want. There is no song and dance as to how much better either one will be. Scabs will argue this while alpa argues that. Bottem line what are these guys going to do. A union shop now owns you (not the most feared shop but still a shop). Ever herd of stapled. As to what happenes you Colgan guys are bent over with your ankles in hand. Now do want sand or do you want lube. No one knows how it will play out but think before you act. The choice is simple yes or no but the long list as to why is endless.

Now most of you I am sure do not want to stay with colgan too long but drop I dont care because of the revolving door at colgan B.S. The choices you make do play into effect for the rest of us. If you cant see that well I am not going to explain it. I ll leave that for the next guy

Iam shouldnt be commetting on anything about union or non union. The Union will help you guys out more then a committe. I hate to tell all of you colgan guys that yall are a dreaming you better wake up and see how NWA groups work . you guys were bought just to settle the contract negoitate between pinncle mgt and the union there. Prime example is Mesaba and Big Sky airlines Mair bought BIG SKY to get the mesaba pilots to settle on a contract. They told the Mesaba pilot that all of the jet were going to go to BIG SKY and Mesaba would get the B1900. A little while later Mesaba settle on a crapy contract and the Avros stayed on property and the B1900 stayed with Big SKY. Dont you guys think for one second now that your owned by pinchanickel that the pinch pilots want work out with there union a scope clause saying the only thing bigger than a saab will be flow by pinchanickel pilots. I saw the same thing happen at mesaba airlines. Big Sky pilots can only fly 19 seats or less. Mair holdings is trying to get the courts to throw out the scope between mesaba pilots and Mair holding. Any aircarft that Big Sky get bigger the 19 seats are crewed by mesaba pilots.

Latest resources

Back