• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hudson Ditching Left Engine Running at 35%

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boy, this thread really brought out the FI brain-less trust...

TC

next time you are on a 4 mile final shut down an engine and put the other one at 40 N1 and see how fast the airplane sinks

Hhhmmmm....

Teterhole... Lots of antennas. Some terrain (mostly a few hills), short runways, highly populated somewhat residential area, hospital nearby...

Newark..... NJ Turnpike, lots of industry around, chemicals, lots of people on the ground....

Hudson... Not much to hit, water ferries running around all over the place...

I'll take rivers for 155 Alex.....

Nice of you guys to second guess a crew's actions though. Thank you, drive through...

next time you are on a 4 mile final shut down an engine and put the other one at 40 N1 and see how fast the airplane sinks

I'm pretty sure you would get fired if you did that with passengers on board. Give me a break.

I did try what happened to Sully in the Sim and at home on the computer and I made it!! It wasn't pretty but I made it.

Just curious what kind of motors this plane had? 35% N1 is pretty close to flight idle at lower speeds and altitudes on CFMs anyway, which wouldn't have anywhere near 35% if windmilling at speeds under 250, so maybe the engine was still producing at least a little bit of thrust. At least enough to keep it going with the generator and hydraulic loads, thankfully! I seriously doubt that whatever it may have been putting out did anything to extend their glide much beyond a pure engine out path.

All else being equal, would 70% N1 on one engine really keep this airplane level? I would have figured it'd need a little more juice than that.

I'm sure this scenario will be played out in A320 sims around the world, and maybe, just maybe, on the 20th try, knowing it was coming, doing everything dead on, one in ten of us may be able to make it to TEB, possibly even hitting a runway there. Notice I didn't say "land on". Not even a snowball's chance for EWR. These guys absolutely made the best choice, and made it under total duress.

edit: saw from the "1549 recap" thread (excellent read, BTW....) that the plane had CFMs on it. The geometry makes TEB look maybe a bit more likely than what I thought above, but they still absolutely made the best choice under the conditions.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back