• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hudson Ditching Left Engine Running at 35%

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fan blades were certainly badly damaged by the ingested bird(s). Just because it was running at 35% doesn't mean it was producing the thrust you would expect at that RPM, only that there was enough rotation to drive hydraulics and the generator. It could very well have not been producing thrust at all. Probably only slightly better than a windmilling engine.

Sully made the right choice. LGA/TEB were very risky alternatives for different reasons. Its one thing to discuss the results and options they had. But to second guess Sully and what he did is sad. People who do that probably need progressive taxi instructions on a daily basis. The only question I had as Sully made the second pass through the cabin was, "Did he get all the Merlot of the ship?"

Last edited:
He absolutely made the right decision, given the circumstances. Perhaps he may have made it back to LGA, TEB, EWR, etc. But that would have been based on pure probability on that fateful day. The potential for a successful landing at any airport would be highly questionable. There were too many variables involved to have taken a chance on getting it to a hard-surfaced runway. Too many variables to consider. (obstacles, glide, lining up, system failures, etc.). Too many "what if's" to contend with. A water ditching in the Hudson river presented the crew with better known variables to work with and control. K.I.S.S. This is an essential point and why the decison to ditch vs. making an attempt at an airport, seemed more prudent and rightly so.

Talk of attempting to glide (a questionable aircraft) into an airport with a river and formal ditching procedures available is foolish. Seriously.

i hope your husband beats you because you deserve it.

We went over this on another thread.....POKE MY PE_N_I$ is a dude. That is what is so funny about his avatar.

Can you say Gay Pilot Ass.

Yeah I think it's a lot harder to come up short on the river then to come up short on EWR or TEB...

if this guy banged through the approach lights and smeared everyone a quarter inch thick and an eighth mile long these are the same a-holes who would have said he should have put it in the river.

Everyone lived. Enough said.

If the autoflight system was disengaged and the nose lowered and the airplane was at its 210 target speed the autothrust system would have commanded idle thrust.

I am interested to see if the autothrust system was ever disengaged and the thrust lever moved forward.

The investigation also shows that the final re-start occurred at 500 ft and 200kias. Unless APU bleed was selected on this would not be successful.

Latest resources

Back