Got the Rejection Letter from Usairways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HR People = LAZY and Inexperienced These Days

This is not a surprise. HR selection is becoming more automated in all industries... It's ridiculous. The computer alogrithms search for specific words and experience levels and they are very rigid. One red flag and you are gone. It's not like the good-ole days where someone with relevant experience (i.e., group of pilots conducting the first filter process) could recognize some unique experience that would be appreciated. Now computers are supposed to know the difference. HR people are just damn lazy these days and rely more and more on automation to do their selection duties.

With a potential AA/US merger on the horizon (and the thorny Nic Award issue that will need to get resolved), perhaps this was a mixed blessing for many people. Look for the positive in this situation.

Who knows what is going on- could be several things. A friend of mine got this letter, and then a phone call a few days later, asking him to please re-apply. As soon as he did, he then got another call for an interview, then hired. That was this summer. I figure something is going on, and the music hasn't stopped yet, for the applicants. I've thought about a possible merger announcement being the cause, but the integration of the seniority lists, and approval of the DOJ, is likely to take a while. In short, I think they would need pilots to cover retirements that fences, integration, and the merger process just wouldn't be fast enough to handle. I'm also wondering if they aren't closing the E-190 PHL job, in order to post a generic "Flight Ops Pilot Opening". Something is askew, just not sure what. Either way, I'm sure there will be enough people asking the CP's today, to spark a phone call or two to HR. Something will come to light. I've got a friend that is going to talk to some people today about it- I'll pass along what I know.

The actual selection of applicants is truly done by a 3rd party recruiter. This is due to USAirways getting sued several years back for descriminatory hiring practices. The pilots sued, won cash, then opened up the Burger King in the CLT Atrium. That's why I don't eat there.............

I know some of the pilots involved in the case in which was more then 20 years ago under the old US Airways. I have always said you cannot fit a square into a round hole!

I was a FO on the jungle jet for a 121 carrier and had over 1000 SIC time on it. I don't know what they are looking for. I have a 4 year degree, 121 experience, jet time.

General Lee exactly what other position would i want to apply for. I guess things happen for a reason and perhaps it is better for me. I try to stay positive

If you only have 1000 hrs SIC, that's not a whole lot. Lots of people have THOUSANDS of hours SIC, in addition to PIC. 1000 hrs SIC is like 1-1.5 years as an FO. Probably need much more time than that.

Third times a charm, just got my third rejection leter, 4700, 1600 tpic, 2 internal recs. Im done with the airlines. good luck to you guys.

It's a numbers game. Say an airline wants to hire 180 guys in a 6 month period. They decide to interview a 800 guys for those 180 positions. 3,000 apply. It's too expensive and time consuming to interview all 3,000 who apply so sometimes the 800 are selected somewhat randomly even though ALL 3,000 are more than qualified and all of them are great guys with great recommendations. It's like a lottery so don't take it personally.

Ironically I was hired there in 99 after 7 years at express and most of you applicants have more TT then me. I'm about to hit 10k TT!!!! I'm sure some of you guys are well above that. I did have that five year furlough. Like others have said even if there were a merger the SLI will take a couple years and we will be retiring like crazy so if you have nothing better re-apply next window.

Wow, 10K total after being on the street for what...six or seven years while AWA and AAA merged...must be nice to get a job after sitting on the sidelines for so long...

The other board has people saying they are getting calls from HR that the rejection email went out in error for most people who got it.

Latest resources

Back