• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Got the Rejection Letter from Usairways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will probably get heat for this post, but I'm just trying to be honest...

First of all, like others have said, many pilots get an interview invite after being rejected previously. If you really want to work at Airways, keep applying and hope for the best. However, if you were rejected for now, yet feel the need to slam the process, bad-mouth the company, insult our pilots, etc., please do not bother to reapply.

I tried for eight years to get hired at Southwest. Two interviews, two rejections, major disappointment. I feel fortunate to have been hired at Airways, though it was not my first choice (or even on my list of desirable airlines at all). Now that I'm here, I love my job. Airways is a good company with a rough history and a union that is held captive by a certain demographic. I am only speaking for myself here, but my hunch is that the majority of us third listers genuinely desire to see this company succeed, preferably with a merger. We also recognize that in less than ten years we will hold a majority of the votes. Going to any airline is a gamble, but I'm optimistic that Airways (or American) will be a completely different airline in the future due to a different demographic holding a majority of the votes.

In summary, if you don't really want to work here, please don't even apply. We need pilots who want to see this company succeed.

How does reserve work nowadays at Airways? Is there long-call? Days off? How much are guys flying?

Eleven days off, usually groups of 4, 3, 2, 2. The group of four are hard days, but I've never had them take a day off from me, though technically they can. Long-call is nine hours, short-call 1.5 hours. I held long-call right away on the 737, but it might take longer on the other aircraft. Long-calls fly more. I average 35-45 hours per month. It's not unusual for me go a week or more between trips.

Eleven days off, usually groups of 4, 3, 2, 2. The group of four are hard days, but I've never had them take a day off from me, though technically they can. Long-call is nine hours, short-call 1.5 hours. I held long-call right away on the 737, but it might take longer on the other aircraft. Long-calls fly more. I average 35-45 hours per month. It's not unusual for me go a week or more between trips.

Thanks!

rejection email. 8000+TT, 2500+ turbine PIC, sim instructor time. ???
If it's any consolation, the rah, rah guys encouraging folks will enjoy furlough protection that new hires may not. And ironically these recently recalled guys are the ones saying you'll never be furloughed.

Believe them or not.

How does reserve work nowadays at Airways? Is there long-call? Days off? How much are guys flying?

The good news about reserve is that the schedulers are generally OK to work with so long as you treat them like human beings. 1.5 hour call out is a bit flexible (stuck in traffic etc). They will release you early from reserve if they have good coverage so you can make your commute home, switch your off days around, etc. Pretty quickly you will learn the system and know when you are likely to be called and can judge your commute accordingly. You get a few screw ups before you get in any real trouble.

Long call guys generally get the call early afternoon the day before, when future planning processes all the open time. This makes commuting from almost anywhere feasible although there is always a chance you get called at 10pm for a 7am trip... it's rare. Most people who would call in sick at that point understand the system and wait till inside the 9 hour window so the trip goes to a short call reserve.

The bad news is that if they want to, the contract allows them to abuse you terribly. If you are on short call, they can change your Protected Time (rest time) at a moments notice. They can move your off days around if they want. If you are on long call, they can switch you to short call with 9 hours notice (this does happen).

Short call guys generally don't fly much.

I echo what DorkProp said. Don't listen to the vocal minority of haters. It's a good place to work and likely to get much better.

If it's any consolation, the rah, rah guys encouraging folks will enjoy furlough protection that new hires may not. And ironically these recently recalled guys are the ones saying you'll never be furloughed.

Believe them or not.

Furlough protection? Really? Anyone who still thinks pilots have thoughts of furlough protection has not been in the industry too long. Are you new or something? :)

I haven't flown with anyone in years that didn't laugh at talks of furlough protection. The only thing that keeps a person from furlough is guys above them retiring faster than the number of furloughs below them. YMMV. :)

Colodny was telling new hires as late as early 1990 they'd be captains in 5 years; they were furloughed for 8. The last group of usair new-hires to enjoy anything like a long-term normal career progression were hired in the Reagan administration. Little boom, big bust; pretty much been the story for a couple decades now.

Latest resources

Back