• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Final Agreement reached

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dicko, I do not care where you sit, there are a hell of a lot more first officers to deal with at SWA that won't put up with your crap, if you actually get to fly with us.

"Put up with my crap" ..... Where did that come from ?

If it was displaced aggression than I'm good with it. I'm a proponent of it myself.

;)

Dicko, Ty, all AAI CPS,

You folks seem like good dudes and I will probably be flying with you if you move out west...as a 10 year FO I would trade places with you and gladly give up my seniority for a SWA CP seat, even if it means sitting on the bottom till 2020...an upgrade in hand is worth two in the bush...congrats even though you don't (but will) appreciate what you are getting...

Say's the guy working for the airline that most of it's existance paid way below industry standard wages, it's pilots worked more hours than most and they accepted a substandard retirement to build their airline. It was the airlines like Delta that raised the bar enough to give you guys something to shoot for. You undercut them and now they are on a down cycle because of it, but that doesn't mean they won't be getting gains in the future.
You guys are doing well in the LCC niche right now and good on you, but you look like an ass with statements like that.

Lighten up, Dan. If you want to dwell in the past, it was also an airline called Delta that let the first CRJ go to Comair. You know the rest of that story. Point being it's ALL water under the bridge.

Dicko, Ty, all AAI CPS,

You folks seem like good dudes and I will probably be flying with you if you move out west...as a 10 year FO I would trade places with you and gladly give up my seniority for a SWA CP seat, even if it means sitting on the bottom till 2020...an upgrade in hand is worth two in the bush...congrats even though you don't (but will) appreciate what you are getting...

Despite my cynicism, your opinion does resonate. I get what you're saying.

Cheers,

D.

Same here, MJ.

I think many of us would like to see a solution where our guys aren't superglued to the bottom, and where your senior FO's see some upgrades; unfortunately, that isn't the Agreement we are all holding our noses and looking at.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself there, chief. Back when I was a 727 Captain and we found out our company was going out of business, I had job offers at places that paid more (Netjets) but took a regional (PCL) by CHOICE because I wanted to build my 121 PIC time so I could make it to a Major carrier.

I got interview offers from both Northwest and a 2nd bite at United while I was at AirTran; I didn't go to either interview. I liked my job at AirTran, my quality of life, the people I flew with, I thought it would be "the next Southwest" as a fast up-and-coming operator with low costs, brand new jets, and I was having fun. Same reason I never re-updated my application at Southwest when the window re-opened and my 6 months had passed from my last interview.

After 3 years of making the same money flying Lears and Falcons that I would have as an AAI F/O but flying nights, weekends, getting 9 days off a monthand hardly seeing my family as a result, I have an even GREATER respect for my quality of life over money, which is the reason I bid max days off and weekends off in MCO, regardless of what line credit that gives me.

Sometimes people make choices based SOLELY on their quality of life. Despite how much more income they MIGHT make in the future. It's fine that you don't do that. I have.

Tell you what... I'll give you every DIME of my increased income from this deal and you give me relative seniority so that I can keep my quality of life and upgrade when my number would come up (about 6-7 more years instead of 12-15). How's that?

Here's one last thing for you to ponder. We offered SWA to not pay us SWA rates until we transitioned over the line in training and INSTEAD give ALL that money from now 'til then to the SWA pilots in exchange for even HALF of where we'd be with Date of Hire (a 4-5% decrease in the relative seniority hit we take). It was over $100 Million directly to your pilots. SWAPA said no. Do you know why? Because your Negotiating Committee wanted seniority over money.

Guess it's not all about the money.

That last part is interesting bc I've heard that suggested on the line quite often.

Look- I'm just seeing how your getting butt-hurt saying I'm calling you a liar.
Im not. That's too harsh a judgement. I do think you're lying to yourself though- and you proved it above. If QOL is paramount- why would you take the first available upgrade and not stay a senior FO.
The lie I'm talking about is that money doesn't matter and is inconsequential to all of our career moves- when I would say it's right at the top of what motivates us. Ive been in this industry for long enough and at enough places to know that money is the primary reason most people take that seniority hit and start over at the bottom of the captain list. It's a fact- we aren't building time anymore- at the majors, most of the reason we upgrade immediately and don't delay is bc of MONEY.
And QOL is exactly what we've been saying Lear! You don't live our schedules- I do. We do. I'm junior- my life is great. The pairing parity is very even. You don't work under the stresslessness of our mgmt- I do. Its a valuable thing to show up to work and get hugs and laugh all day- never fearing retribution -

How was your QOL when Air Tran fired you and you had to fight like hell to get your job back??

That's a bit below the belt, but Air Tran did that to you. Why? If AT is so great? I didn't do that, and SWA would never if you get on the list-

You're a good dude, and not a liar- but I do think you have convinced yourself of an untruth. Our contract should translate into seniority for us- it's quite literally the only thing your group brings to the table.

Good luck Lear- I do respect you and wish good things for you- I just know you'll be happier at swa than you ever were at AT and you minimizing it and calling it a sacrifice is silly in the eyes of those of us who have lived it.

You don't work under the stresslessness of our mgmt- I do. Its a valuable thing to show up to work and get hugs and laugh all day- never fearing retribution

You know this has been stated time and time again, yet why are we having to decide on an agreement where continued employment or other undefined threats that may or may not have been made by GK and company are part of our decision process. Feels real similar to what we've been dealing with for 6 years.

Latest resources

Back