• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex plane runs off runway at ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
She was a Academy graduate, and not very young when all this took place.. no I didn't screw anyone's wife, or directly disobey even a 2LT's orders while serving in two wars/war zones in my time in the service. I mean it isn't like UPS doesn't have 5000 well qualified and recommended people they could be interviewing WITHOUT a less than honorable discharge, is it?

Sorry if I come off as a bit of a pre-madona on this, but I sadly suffer from something called "a set of absolutes" that I live by.

Anyway, I've hijacked this thread long enough..

Is that like Pat Benatar or Blondie? BTW, there are two n's in Madonna.

PIPE

Someone said we had an accident in San Diego last week, I hadn't heard about that one. Any details?

.....You folks have a systemic human factors disaster on your hands right now that threatens the continued existence of your organization. People are just rubber-necking. Human nature.

Disclaimer: FedEx has great pilots. These accidents are mostly attributable to latent organizational pathogens and other cultural issues.

How do you come to that conclusion? Give me the statistics in incidents per 1000s of departures that support your conclusions. I think you are jumping on an anecdotal bandwagon. We fly jets heavy, we fly them safely, and we have a crapload of flights everyday into some of the busiest and loneliest places on earth.

By the way, your disclaimer doesn't hold water with me.....It is like saying our soldiers are butchering babies in Iraq......"But I support the troops".

If you don't fly with us, and are not familiar with our operation, you have no basis for your statement about "human factors".

Did they miss the arresting wire?

Incoming. :)

We fly jets heavy, we fly them safely, and we have a crapload of flights everyday into some of the busiest and loneliest places on earth.

If you don't fly with us, and are not familiar with our operation, you have no basis for your statement about "human factors".

Granted, but the point is most airlines do the same thing your airline does for both points you mention, yet FEDEX seems to have a trend that can be charted and yet no one seems to be remotely interested in it other than the CPO.

2 things that will survive a nuclear war, cockroaches and FedEx pilots.

Glad to see that nobody was hurt. Plus it did have a positive impact. It caused the DHL 767, right behind it on the approach, to divert and miss service to Chicago.

Last edited:
Granted, but the point is most airlines do the same thing your airline does for both points you mention, yet FEDEX seems to have a trend that can be charted and yet no one seems to be remotely interested in it other than the CPO.

CPO.....you mean Chief Petty Officer? Seriously, we all want to reduce this kind of thing. But Airtran went into the weeds the other day in Memphis....I hear about all kinds of airlines sticking trucks in the mud or over-running from time to time. We have a huge, huge, number of departures each day. I don't know the statistics, but I suspect when you compare apples to apples, it will look less sensational than the annecdotal evidence might suggest.

I think it interesting that folks outside seem to "know" what our culture is and who is interested and who is not. I find it interesting that people release, and other people read information that is meant for internal consumption. Based upon items taken out of context, become expert on our operations they know nothing about.

But go ahead, tell me what is wrong with FedEx and our culture....because after all the time at the company, I need someone with no knowledge of the situation to diagnose what I can't figure out myself. Then when it's all said and done, you can ask me what the status of your meet and greet is.

"Yeah, FedEx has a terrible culture, but I can't wait till my bud walks me in for a pre-interview"

Saw that a DC10 went into the mud in San Diego - anyone know the story there? SAN has gotten virtually zerio precip in the last 7 days so not even sure what "mud" there was or what the circumstances were. Yeah we've got to clean up - going off the runway while taxiing - time to say goodbye.

Did they miss the arresting wire?

Incoming. :)

It's funny you should ask that - but looking from your background, you'll never have the pleasure of flying a military jet with those kind of capabilities anyway.

OK Diesel - let me guess...from reading your prior posts and most of them having negative conotations towards mil pilots and FDX - I'm thinking at some point you probably got burned at trying to get a job with FDX and you're jealous of the fact it has quite a few mil pilots in its company. Did I hit the nail on the head? I'm thinking so...Now, give us all a break and get over your little semantics. I love the "civilian and PROUD" - it's such a cute touch. LOL

I'd say instead of throwing in snide little comments like you enjoy doing - a more proper thing to say is I'm glad none of the crew was hurt.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back