• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex plane runs off runway at ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have a link yet, no account with the Chicago tribune, but I think it was an airbus, A310.

Wasn't one hit by lightning there too?

Wow, bad day to fly.

And yet their CP just put out a letter recently to his captains admonishing them on not accepting flights that Dispatch and ops says are good to go... I wonder if Fedex isn't the biggest pilot pusher out there, and nobody will admit it. They sure seem to have a lot of incidents related to weather for the number of operations per day they have vs. other airlines.

not attacking Fedex in saying this, I'd love nothing more than to work for them, but just wondering if there isn't pressure to go that doesn't exist at other ops.

edit: My bad, the letter was about MEL's and not weather, but nevertheless, it should always be the captains decision..

here is the exact words of the CP:

3) PIC authority means you are in charge of the aircraft..but also accountable. If a MEL is written correctly or an aircraft repair is signed off correctly, you can still decide not to accept the aircraft for flight.. but there may be consequences. Ask all the questions you like, consult with the Duty Officer, Flight Standards, MX, Flight Test, Engineering or the Tech Pilots. But if they say it's okay to go, then it is. If you then refuse the aircraft, be prepared to defend your decisions on facts.. not with "I still don't like it". Two Captains recently questioned MEL's, which, as it turns out, were written incorrectly. This was determined by the consultations. Good on them. We have also had three Captains refuse aircraft after all the consultations and they were wrong. remarkably wrong. We get paid to make correct judgments and decisions. We are the ultimate safety valve..but we have to know what we are talking about. If you can't figure out these types of things or pick ! the correct course of action, then down bid so you're not in charge.

Last edited:
Crystal Ball

I sense another heated letter from the Cheif Pilots' Offices will be soon to arrive. The last one was great. Just remember, FedEx pilots don't suck all the time.

I've got an idea. Would it be so hard for Fedex to keep it's planes on runways, without damaging them, or landing short in trees? If they were a passenger outfit they'd be out of business.

Surely the FAA and their POI has to be scratching his head by now..

Oh crap here we go...

"Airline x did this", "well airline y did this", "oh yeah well airline z did this and you ugly."

and an accident at San Diego too, bad week for fedex

It's been a bad 5 years for Fed Ex (ref the CP rant letter thread that was pulled). Nobody cares though, its cargo, and no pax are involved, no lawsuits, no lawyers chasing ambulances and nobody crying bloody murder on TV that they "almost died."

Latest resources

Back