• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Supposedly, one of our crews was very recently intercepted after turning the transponder to standby and not turning it back on after a squawk change was issued by Mexico. They were never handed off to ZHU, and a few hundred miles into the US (situational awareness, anyone?), the fighters showed up. We have the ability to change the code via the FMS, and that's how most folks change it in flight.

Going back to the very first post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you check in with tower, WITH, what approach your doing. ie. visual or ILS....based on a go around or missed approach. Tech. on the ILS you perform the missed app. proc. however we all know tower gives you something different. If you check in with a visual app to 9L doesn't that tell the controller in the event of a missed app, or go around if you will, he has to give you instructions

These days, most published missed approaches are actually scripted out in the event of radio failure. It's very rare that you'll actually do a published missed approach. The exception might be in very special terrain environments or in a non-radar environment. Otherwise the tower will usually give you an initial vector and altitude regardless of whether you are doing the ILS or a visual. His needs will be the same either way -- traffic avoidance and management.

Nothing is better than "November" flights attempting
to give non-radar position reports on HF!

Last edited:
So I"m gonna jump in with my thoughts.

1. Please listen before transmitting when switching to a new frequency. Make sure you aren't interrupting a transmission.

2. Please use your full call sign. "climbing to FL350" doesn't cut it. I need to know who you are.

3. Please acknowledge when I give you a freq change...don't just leave. It makes more work for me when I have to call the next center to make sure you checked in and aren't NORDO.

Other than that, I'm pretty laid back. I'll give ball game scores...hell, i'll even flirt with you if it's slow. Just pay attention. And fly the damn plane. If you insist on climbing at 500 feet per minute when you can do 2000fpm, you're going to get vectored.

I know I veered off topic a bit.....

Meow? Do I look like a cat? Jumping around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree???

Usually only the BOS center guys catch that one, a couple at ATL Apch do too.. Always fun to hear "Citrus xxx you are meow cleared direct xxx" as a response.

Latest resources

Back