• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When since I first heard about how anal some people get about the "with you" stuff, I immediately started using it all the time just to get them more upset.

Hi!

My favorite is:
"JetUSA 195, code 3475." in response to a new transponder code.

You have to acknowlege ATC.

So, when they give you the new code, of 3475, you simply change the transponder to 3475. The next radar sweep, you show up with the code.

You have acknowled ATC via your transponder and his/her radar. No need to take up frequency time with a radio call.

cliff
YIP

Hi!

As far as asking for Direct?

I fly for an airline, and we fly all different routes all the time. Sometimes we can save as much as 30" on one leg, and over 1 hour on certain trips if we get direct.

Also, it makes it easier to not get busted for nav problems. When our autopilots are hooked to the GPS, we still need to do manual stuff with the autopilot, as it won't turn more than about 30 degrees to a new course change very well.

The furthest direct I've gotten is LRD-YIP(DTW) at about 800' AGL on takeoff from LRD.

cliff
YIP

PS-My crashpad mate finished dropping off freight in Yellowknife a couple of months ago, and did a -91 repo leg to ELP!!!

When since I first heard about how anal some people get about the "with you" stuff, I immediately started using it all the time just to get them more upset.

Ha i hear ya there. Who the eff cares what you say on the freq. Were all doing our jobs, makin the best of it. I might just wake up early tomorrow and watch "The View" and hear a bunch of Bit_ches complain about everything going wrong with their lifes, and I will think about all the people here on FI Bit_Ch'n about a topics like this. I enjoy hearing the "nice personable conversations" when im stuck on a 5 day trip to BFE Kansas. It gives me something to look foward to for my trip home. JUST MY 2 CENTS

Cliff,

with regards to the transponder codes, while technically, you're correct that putting it in is acknowledging it, it isn't ideal for a controller, for several reasons;

when a plane is on a bad code, it isn't very easy to notice, it will time share with other information in the datablock and so it requires repeated scans to check...so issuing the code without verbal acknowledgement is gonna require your attention that much MORE.

if you want to ship or flash a guy, and have issued the code, receiving a verbal acknowledgement lets you know that the guy got it and you can put it out of mind.

if a sector is down the sh!tter and a code is issued, the controller wants to know his transmission has been received without waiting for several radar hits (which, at 12sec per hit, could be half a minute or so until he sees the new code, assuming he has the time to get back to that datablock).

no controller is gonna think of it as excessive verbiage by the pilot.

As a controller in some of the World's busiest terminal airspace (ATL), I would have to agree with DickBurns. I like to hear a read back of a new xponder code I've assigned. Sometimes I do not have the luxury of time to wait and see if the new tag to appears before I move onto something else. This acknowledgement lets me know instantaneosly that you've recieved my instruction. I persoanlly do not care if you read the new code back (although there are advantages to that in my ability to make sure you heard me correctly) but a simply "roger" + your call sign would suffice.

Sometimes when we get a new code, we'll turn off the xpdr, change the code, and then turn it back on. This is to avoid scrolling through some other code that's already assigned, or any special use codes. Recently somebody told me ATC doesn't like it when we turn off the xpdr, even momentarily. Do you guys care one way or the other?

Thanks.

CallMeJB,

Don't turn off your xpndr (unless otherwise instructed to do so). It could cause an interruption in the mode C or target, and a controller might assume it to be an issue on his side...radar outage or something wrong with that radar sort box, etc. Just switch the code, even if you scroll through another active code, if it is only for a sweep or two (keep in mind centers are 12 second sweeps) it will just show a bad code, which is better than nothing at all, I would guess.

Sometimes when we get a new code, we'll turn off the xpdr, change the code, and then turn it back on. This is to avoid scrolling through some other code that's already assigned, or any special use codes. Recently somebody told me ATC doesn't like it when we turn off the xpdr, even momentarily. Do you guys care one way or the other?

I've heard of other pilots doing that same thing, but I have not made it a habit. Until there is an Advisory Circular or change to the FAR/AIM that tells me it is okay to turn off my transponder momentarily in flight without ATC's approval, I will abide by the AIM.

e. Code Changes
1. When making routine code changes, pilots should avoid inadvertent selection of Codes 7500, 7600 or 7700 thereby causing momentary false alarms at automated ground facilities. For example, when switching from Code 2700 to Code 7200, switch first to 2200 then to 7200, NOT to 7700 and then 7200. This procedure applies to nondiscrete Code 7500 and all discrete codes in the 7600 and 7700 series (i.e., 7600-7677, 7700-7777) which will trigger special indicators in automated facilities. Only nondiscrete Code 7500 will be decoded as the hijack code.
2. Under no circumstances should a pilot of a civil aircraft operate the transponder on Code 7777. This code is reserved for military interceptor operations.
3. Military pilots operating VFR or IFR within restricted/warning areas should adjust their transponders to Code 4000 unless another code has been assigned by ATC.

Latest resources

Back