• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta, Hire Some Minorities

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So .1% of DAL pilots are black. What is the percentage of women and other minority pilots?

I have no dog in this fight. But these sorts of suits are usually either shakedowns for money or false outrage and pushes for equality of results, not basic fairness.
  • How many "minorities" and women applied?
  • What percentage of their groups were hired compared to the percentage of candidates that belonged to another group? I.E. if 10 white guys interviewed and one was hired vs. 10 women and 1 was hired, is that "fair"?
  • What percentage of the pilot group at regionals and/or military are minorities or women?
That last is especially telling. The qualified talent pool drawn from the regionals and military is vastly white and male. The simple fact of the matter is that this may be a job that only appeals to certain types of people.

Wouldn't it make just as much sense to say that the regionals and the military are racist and sexist as well? (and as completely bogus)

Last edited:
How about hiring THE most qualified applicants, not hiring just to reach a "goal", as the Reverend states. Isn't that what the sports leagues do, take the best of the best? Funny you never hear these civil rights groups complain about that. Maybe the NBA, NFL, etc should have "goals" also.

How about hiring THE most qualified applicants, not hiring just to reach a "goal", as the Reverend states. Isn't that what the sports leagues do, take the best of the best? Funny you never hear these civil rights groups complain about that. Maybe the NBA, NFL, etc should have "goals" also.

I think the NHL needs to be sued. There are way too few professional hockey players of color. We also need more women in hockey.

My guess is that this will turn into another 350 response thread. Instead of continuing, I'll just refer you all to this thread.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=108853&highlight=obap

GP

And on Friday they discovered that the NBA's black-player population was 77 percent, while the white-player population was 21 percent. Of the white players, 55 percent were American-born and 45 percent were international players.

Until we see more whites in basketball and football the reverend can stuff it, hiring blacks just to hire blacks is wrong and that goes for women too, if you have the experience interview well then you get the job, otherwise it is reverse discrimination. As a side note there is no majority race in California and bye ( I believe) 2024 there will be no majority race period, so so I guess affirmitive action will apply to whites as well :)

Bye the way, to become a Reverend is that done through the mail??

You are right!

They should definitely hire people because of their qualification. I agree that people should not get hired because they are MILLITARY, black, women, purple, whateva.

They should not get turned down because they're black, Asian, women, Indian...whatever either. The interviewers can always pick on something little and turn people down. Why did someone get turned down? Who really knows!

Some of the highly qualified people with a lot of flight time are black, women, white, men, everybody. ....but they still do have to fit in the 'Delta image' whether you want to believe that or not. Remember, these are the people who will not share the hotel van with other pilot group. So...Good luck everyone!

.....I wonder how 'the ratio' is at SWA, CAL, Blue.... Just curious.

What about lack of whites working the gates and ramp in Atl? Are they making an effort to recruit qualified caucasians to work these positions?

They should definitely hire people because of their qualification. I agree that people should not get hired because they are MILLITARY, black, women, purple, whateva.

They should not get turned down because they're black, Asian, women, Indian...whatever either. The interviewers can always pick on something little and turn people down. Why did someone get turned down? Who really knows!

Some of the highly qualified people with a lot of flight time are black, women, white, men, everybody. ....but they still do have to fit in the 'Delta image' whether you want to believe that or not. Remember, these are the people who will not share the hotel van with other pilot group. So...Good luck everyone!

.....I wonder how 'the ratio' is at SWA, CAL, Blue.... Just curious.

Just for the record, every, EVERY, black pilot (20+) at my company is now working at CAL, only one was a Captain, and the remainder were all FO's. Glad to see CAL was hiring "the most qualified", (FO's that is) and turning away scores of Captains.

Last edited:
Umm, not really. We're monopolizing the WIA pool, but not the other minorities. Honestly, I'd be surprised if even 1% of our pilot group was black.

Nowhere in my post nor in the article did anyone say anything about pilots or pilot groups.

PIPE

What about lack of whites working the gates and ramp in Atl? Are they making an effort to recruit qualified caucasians to work these positions?

Great post! I can't stand the fact that you have to hire someone of color that is less qualified because you might piss off someone. How many black pilots are there in general? Should they all have jobs because of color or because they are skilled experienced pilots. Why can't affirmative action work both ways? I think I want to play in the NBA now. Its crazy to imply that Delta is racist when you only have a small number of black commercial pilots. The Atlanta ramp however is a different story.

Latest resources

Back