• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

crw overrun transcript

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't been at that airport so what's at the end? Would they have cleared all obstacles with flaps 8 or even at some flap setting in between 8 and 20?

CRW basically cut the top of a mountain (large hill) off and installed an airport. Nothing to clear because you are already at the highest point of terrain in the area. What is waiting for you is the sharp downslope of the remaining mountain (large hill).

That shouldn't be necessary, though. I will say that some of our checking priorities in flight are a bit misplaced. For instance, I think it's useless to physically point to the newly set altitude (when calling it out is just as good), but at the same time you're not required to point to the flap indicator while verifying they are correctly set. The latter is much more likely to kill you.
I disagree... pointing forces you to look at it which forces you to ACTUALLY verify to what position something is set ...too easy to answer out of habit and give a "correct" response that does not catch an error after you've said the same ("normal") thing hundereds of times.

P.S. Maybe flaps 20 all the time isn't such a bad idea. Seems to work well for Comair...never mind, I guess that extra call after takeoff would be far to much work for some people who are so terribly overworked now.

...TT for the Captain in 12 months? 855 hours. The F/O? 928. These are "hard" hours, not "paid" hours. Were they "Fatigued"? A recent study of regional pilots indicated that 96 percent were fatigued. Don't care if they commuted, lived in base, lived at the airport.

Holy Sh!t...:eek:

Does PSA set the flaps before starting the taxi? My current company does, my last company did not. Having done both, it is my opinion that setting flaps before starting the taxi is a far superior method.

P.S. Maybe flaps 20 all the time isn't such a bad idea. Seems to work well for Comair...never mind, I guess that extra call after takeoff would be far to much work for some people who are so terribly overworked now.

I smell what you're stepping in, but the crappy climb performance of this thing at flaps 20 is the reason we don't, or so I've been told.

Obviously the required takeoff distance is better at 20, but once you're in the air, 8 is better. But with high speed aborts being such a booger on many of the short runways we go to in the 50, it certainly is something to consider.

Another case of the failed mentality to take to the air then deal with it up there. What they should have done which he obviously recognized after the accident was to abort instead of adding the flaps on the go. Just remember whenever it's getting too comfortable in the cockpit with the other guy/gal, stop for a second and refocus on what you're doing.

I smell what you're stepping in, but the crappy climb performance of this thing at flaps 20 is the reason we don't, or so I've been told.

Obviously the required takeoff distance is better at 20, but once you're in the air, 8 is better. But with high speed aborts being such a booger on many of the short runways we go to in the 50, it certainly is something to consider.
I've been feed the crappy climb performance line too...my thought was, if it climbs so poorly at 20, why on earth would I want to set 20 if there is a short runway or an obstical?

I've been feed the crappy climb performance line too...my thought was, if it climbs so poorly at 20, why on earth would I want to set 20 if there is a short runway or an obstical?

Yeah, I know. We've been fed the line, but never really shown why. It's been a while, but during a checkride debrief, someone took the time to show me an airport where it made sense to go with flaps 8 because of an obstacle in one direction, but flaps 20 in the other direction for stopping purposes.

It was an eye opener, but I just can't remember all the details.

Or I could have the whole thing dorked up due to memory loss. I forget...:)

On another note; whomever pulled the strings to get the EMAS in there deserves a medal. Odds are good it was some politician related to the installing construction company, but hey...that's politics. At least it got done.

Shorter lift off point? I won't want to T/O flaps 8 in KEYW

Latest resources

Back