crw overrun transcript

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
New Corvette license plate seen around town: PULL4D7

What they should have done which he obviously recognized after the accident was to abort instead of adding the flaps on the go.

Nice MMQBing. But I don't see how you or anyone else could advocate aborting 80-V1 for this reason. CRJ experts have said Flap 8 doesn't make the airplane unflyable (in this situation at Charlie West).

I'd opine that 80-V1 is limited to the realm of engine fire/failure, windshear and wings falling off.

Instead of more MMQBing, let's discuss the subjective nature of unflyable, and how to quantify it in the seconds between 80 and V1.

Ready GO!

The real problem here is not that they inadvertantly took off with the wrong configuaration, but more importantly that they took off after displaying an unacceptably low level of professionalism during the preflight and initial delay.. I dont want to cast stones as to what happened on the take off (I didn't see the FDR and I have only read the transcript of the CVR). However I will say this, why not use that taxi / delay time in a productive manner for the flight? i.e both pilots can be heads down and concentrating on the T/O brief and a/c configuaration and set up. You can listen to the CVR alone and hear the lack of professionalism and command going on in that cockpit. If that guy was truly tired and wasnt adequately rested then why didnt he call Fatigued ? Ladies and Gentleman, I challenge everyone on this board whether you are a pilot for a major or flying a Beech 19OOD to carry yourself and conduct yourself in the most professional manor. MANAGE and TAKE COMMAND of your flight decks as if your spouse and child were riding in the back of your jet. THIS is SERIOUS BUSINESS. The days are over of being anything less than professional and flying these airplanes in any way other than company approved and documented procedures up to and including sterile cockpit on the ground as well as in the air. COMMAND is absolute. Lets start flying that way. Be Safe!

I kind of felt bad for the guy when he asked "why the # did I do that?" Just goes to show that it is that easy to screw up royally when you only have a second to think.

He did me wife's CFI back in 98 or 99...good guy and a good pilot. It really can happen to any of us. Be careful out there.

Nice MMQBing. But I don't see how you or anyone else could advocate aborting 80-V1 for this reason. CRJ experts have said Flap 8 doesn't make the airplane unflyable (in this situation at Charlie West).

I'd opine that 80-V1 is limited to the realm of engine fire/failure, windshear and wings falling off.

Instead of more MMQBing, let's discuss the subjective nature of unflyable, and how to quantify it in the seconds between 80 and V1.

Ready GO!

Again you are using the mentality that it's safer to take it to the sky then to deal with it on the ground, that's what caused this accident. All he had to do was abort but instead he added flaps so they could get out of there and not miss the flow window. If you're on the takeoff roll and you notice that flaps aren't set, doesn't matter if they're 0 or 8, it's an automatic abort. However, if the CA had enough reflex to continue the roll and add flaps then he should have known to disregard flaps misconfig warning and continued. Again the take off phase is not a "set it and forget it" phase of flight, there are different segments which you need to pay attention to the airplane and the roll.

The real problem here is not that they inadvertantly took off with the wrong configuaration, but more importantly that they took off after displaying an unacceptably low level of professionalism during the preflight and initial delay.. I dont want to cast stones as to what happened on the take off (I didn't see the FDR and I have only read the transcript of the CVR). However I will say this, why not use that taxi / delay time in a productive manner for the flight? i.e both pilots can be heads down and concentrating on the T/O brief and a/c configuaration and set up. You can listen to the CVR alone and hear the lack of professionalism and command going on in that cockpit. If that guy was truly tired and wasnt adequately rested then why didnt he call Fatigued ? Ladies and Gentleman, I challenge everyone on this board whether you are a pilot for a major or flying a Beech 19OOD to carry yourself and conduct yourself in the most professional manor. MANAGE and TAKE COMMAND of your flight decks as if your spouse and child were riding in the back of your jet. THIS is SERIOUS BUSINESS. The days are over of being anything less than professional and flying these airplanes in any way other than company approved and documented procedures up to and including sterile cockpit on the ground as well as in the air. COMMAND is absolute. Lets start flying that way. Be Safe!

that they took off after displaying an unacceptably low level of professionalism during the preflight and initial delay.

What evidence do you have to make this claim? If the parking brake is set, you are free to talk.

You can listen to the CVR alone and hear the lack of professionalism and command going on in that cockpit.

Again. What evidence do you have to make this claim?

If that guy was truly tired and wasnt adequately rested then why didnt he call Fatigued ?

A truly fatigued person (chronically tired, as opposed to someone who is just tired) is not aware of his situation and impairment. See: Fatigue 101

I challenge everyone on this board whether you are a pilot for a major or flying a Beech 19OOD to carry yourself and conduct yourself in the most professional manor. MANAGE and TAKE COMMAND of your flight decks as if your spouse and child were riding in the back of your jet.

Why? If my fat butt gets there safely, everyone else will show up safely right behind me. Lighten up.

THIS is SERIOUS BUSINESS

This is a JOB. Do it well.

The days are over of being anything less than professional and flying these airplanes in any way other than company approved and documented procedures

No, nothing has changed in 107 years. Fly the plane. When AA departed ORD and the engine departed the plane severing the hydraulics to the leading edge flaps, the F/O flew the "profile". They would have survived if they would have just lowered the nose and gained some speed. Sometimes you have to be creative. Sometimes the company procedures are wrong. See: Risky Business: "Sometimes you have to say 'What the F..."

up to and including sterile cockpit on the ground as well as in the air.

There is no evidence that they violated sterile cockpit procedures.

COMMAND is absolute.

The only absolute in life is that there are no absolutes.

Lets start flying that way.

NO

Be Safe!

YES!

spoken like a true chump with absolutely NO experience..Some times company approved and documented will bite you in the butt!....

Latest resources

Back