CoEx to keep the 69 erj's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Superpilot92 said:
I am curious what the range would be on the XR if it was taken down to 19 seats or so because we are doing IAH to BOI now with 50 PAX and full bags. This is only one option the company is looking at but who knows till it happens.

The range would be the same, about 1300NM with reserves and an altnt. The fuel tanks only hold so much gas.

Alchemy said:
The range would be the same, about 1300NM with reserves and an altnt. The fuel tanks only hold so much gas.

Then tell me this why does the Legacy have such a higher range?

http://www.wingcharter.com/CHARTER_content.html

the link didnt work as planned click on it then click on the fleet and then the legacy that is now on their cetificate.

The legacy has more fuel.

It doesn't matter if it's brand new its still an RJ and even the legacys aren't flying off of the shelves.

Plus flying 135 is a totally different dog. Pax not showing, brining lawn mowers on board. Plus indigo, and Indi has allready tried it.

My thoughts on all this, having been with COEX for almost 8 years........

Not sure why everyone is throwing a party like we just rang in the new year or something. Today's announcement was pretty much a given, I thought we all knew that. I suppose that junior pilots who were concerned about their jobs, and junior captains concerned about losing their seats are certainly breathing a little easier. Certainly the timing of the announcement was a surprise, does that mean they've got some solid stuff lined up, I don't know. I for one am not ready to proclaim JR the allmighty savior just yet. I'm a realist and I've seen good things come apart at the hubs, like a set of left mains this week in Houston, with little or no warning. I for one will not be happy at all if we "take over" another carrier's flying, what the XJ guys are going through is pure hell. Pinnacle folks have been without a new contract for how long now? I don't want their flying at any cost. From what I gather we'll see a mix of charter with a very small number of those aircraft(10 or less), point to point flying with XR's(lots of gates available in MCI) and MAYBE just MAYBE some aircraft used to fly for another mainline carrier. Who knows, maybe some will end up in Europe, but that is bad news as none of us will be flying them. The point to point flying thing sounds fun but in all reality, will it work? Can you really honestly make money, in today's cut-throat low fares market, with a 50 seat regional jet?? Didn't work too well for Independence. Maybe it will work better for us. I don't know. Who knows, maybe we'll try what Air Whisky did and use some of our cash reserves to "infuse" some life into another struggling Legacy, cough....Delta....cough. But that means someone else probably gets the shaft. I wouldn't be proud of that.

The only real winner in all this is our master, our landlord, our pimp daddy, Continental Airlines. They're laughing all the way to the bank and beyond.

Just my guarded thoughts.

MJG said:
My thoughts on all this, having been with COEX for almost 8 years........

Not sure why everyone is throwing a party like we just rang in the new year or something. Today's announcement was pretty much a given, I thought we all knew that. I suppose that junior pilots who were concerned about their jobs, and junior captains concerned about losing their seats are certainly breathing a little easier. Certainly the timing of the announcement was a surprise, does that mean they've got some solid stuff lined up, I don't know. I for one am not ready to proclaim JR the allmighty savior just yet. I'm a realist and I've seen good things come apart at the hubs, like a set of left mains this week in Houston, with little or no warning. I for one will not be happy at all if we "take over" another carrier's flying, what the XJ guys are going through is pure hell. Pinnacle folks have been without a new contract for how long now? I don't want their flying at any cost. From what I gather we'll see a mix of charter with a very small number of those aircraft(10 or less), point to point flying with XR's(lots of gates available in MCI) and MAYBE just MAYBE some aircraft used to fly for another mainline carrier. Who knows, maybe some will end up in Europe, but that is bad news as none of us will be flying them. The point to point flying thing sounds fun but in all reality, will it work? Can you really honestly make money, in today's cut-throat low fares market, with a 50 seat regional jet?? Didn't work too well for Independence. Maybe it will work better for us. I don't know. Who knows, maybe we'll try what Air Whisky did and use some of our cash reserves to "infuse" some life into another struggling Legacy, cough....Delta....cough. But that means someone else probably gets the shaft. I wouldn't be proud of that.

The only real winner in all this is our master, our landlord, our pimp daddy, Continental Airlines. They're laughing all the way to the bank and beyond.

Just my guarded thoughts.

Your correct about not jumping for joy just yet but i firmly believe the planes have flying already set up and being finalized because XJET didnt have to come out with this announcement yet. If they dont have flying set up for those planes yet dont you think they would be dragging their feet about what the plans were in regards to either keeping or returning them to CAL. Mgmt wouldnt have come out this early and said we are keeping them with the hopes of maybe securing some flying with them. What are the eventual plans for these aircraft?, we will know pretty soon but i think that since they came out with this announcement so early on in the year that should show that those planes have flying somewhere.JMO

Something else to think about is that XJT has 100 options available for XR's that are transferable to 170/190s. Which we all know Embraer doesnt want to build more 50 seaters and would love nothing more than for us to use those options. Just a thought. I thought those were CALS options but they arent they are ours.

Last edited:
http://www.embraercommercialjets.com/english/content/erj/erj_145xr.asp?tela=payload_vs_range

Here's the answer according to Embraer. Their numbers seem a little bit optimistic if you ask me. According to them the XR can do 2100 NM with 50 people and about 2400 NM with 15 people. Maybe if you fly .65 the whole and you dead stick it in at the destination. Either that or I'm missing something here.

As far as I know the fuel capacity on the legacy is the same as the 135LR, so I have no idea why they claim it can go 3000 NM. It can go to FL390, has the A1/3 engines which burn less fuel. I suppose If you climbed like a bat out of hell at 220 knots up to FL 390 then cruised at .65 you might be able to squeeze something close to 2000 NM out of a legacy, but I don't really understand how you could get 3000 NM.

Let's say you burn 750lbs/side at FL 390 and about 350 true. With the tanks topped off at 11,000 lbs in a legacy minus, say 1000 lbs for climbing at an average of 250 true, That gives you about 7 hours of endurance until you're a glider. I can't see how you'd get much more than 2000 NM out of a legacy with any kind of reserve, but maybe I'm missing something.

You must be because the X holds 13,000lbs of fuel. Of course we are just using the fuel for speed.

Legacydriver flies one all over the world. He would have the best answer.

Yeah, I was using 11,000 lbs for a legacy, since he was asking why embraer claims it can go 3000 NM. I'm pretty sure the legacy just holds 5717/side, like the LR's. No ventral tank on the legacy.

Anyway all just estimates.

The XR can carry 13119 lbs of fuel. But we are only authorized to fly at .80 and at FL370.

I thought the legacy did have a ventral tank?

Latest resources

Back