COEX losing 69 Aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Earl Williams said:
real mature, dnkt. Since I'm a Mesa pilot based in ORD, perhaps we can schedule a time for us to meet up so you can "tell me what you think". Here's your chance...face-to-face. PM me so we can coordinate.

The last I looked, I had 16 days off this month...nothing to brag about, but it's a tad more than the 8 days off you claim we all only have (of which I've had once in a year and a half here, and that was because I didn't make the roster when I got out on line). The minimum 8-days off only applies to being on reserve, and with the constant attrition here, that reserve time is minimal to say the least.

And one other thing, do me a favor, and some research. Investigate how many ex-Mesa pilots there are at such carriers as SWA...or American...or NetJets (or any other "step-up" from a regional). Personally, I know of many. Ask them if they're happy making "shoot wages for the rest of their lives". I bet you'll be surprised by not only the quantity of ex-Mesa pilots out there, but also how a few years at Mesa allowed them the opportunity that they now have. It's unfortunate that these ex-Mesa pilots aren't here to justify their decision themselves. Could it be that life is so good for them that they actually don't hang out on this board? Naw, couldn't be.

Bash away...

Attrition at Mesa? Why is there a lot of attrition Earl? Care to explain?

Some good points here on the possibilities. Like I said before, I figure by 12/06 about 180 resignations. If Express finds other flying then great, if not then hopefuly ALPA can work out voluntary furloughs to keep the involuntaries to a minimum. But in this case they'll be on a hiring freeze for the forseeable future.

joe_pilot said:
Dude, Come on. It is one thing to start a thread and take shots at us, but when there are (potential) jobs being lost and people's livelyhood at stake, why the need to throw the mud? Why even attempt to associate us with wanting to take ExpressJ's flying when you know it isn't true. That would be like me saying you are a white supremist beacuse of your Signature line. Don't think I can make the connection? Check out this website.

Cave Canem :)

DUDE, you have WWWAAAYYY to much time on your hands. Maybe I should go work for Skywest.

Sorry to hear about this. I know firsthand how this will affect the ExpressJet folks - we lost about 50% of our fleet this year alone. Good luck to the great folks at ExpressJet.

-PB

RP170, I think you know by now that I'm not waving the Mesa flag. My response was a defensive reaction to what I viewed as a very immature, lack of substantiation post by dknt.

As I've said in a previous post, attrition at Mesa is high because this isn't exactly a great company to work for. But I'm not really sure which company is right now. Seems like you're enjoying your gig over at CHQ...in which I'm glad for you. I haven't spoken to too many CHQ pilots, but the few that I have had nothing but good things to say.

With regards to attrition, I simply don't think a lot of people really know what they're getting into here at Mesa. I admit I was a bit naive as well. Those that leave do so for a variety of reasons. I have to remind myself of my long term goals in this career on a daily basis (or even an hourly basis on a typical trip). Sometimes I feel like I'm "done with it all", but that's usually related to factors outside of Mesa (gate not being open for 45 minutes, weather causing a ground stop, mechanical delays, not being able to make a commute, etc, etc, etc)

In short, there are better places than Mesa, and I feel there are worse. I may eventually be one of those who adds to the attrition rate, yet nowadays I'm not so sure that a lateral move to any other regional would be a wise move given the current state of the industry.

Start stackin resignation letters effective feb 1st.

If management can cancel a contract whenever they want why cant a pilot group start forcefull negotions for a new one anytime they feel like it.

mckpickle said:
No way, at least Eagle is owned by AA.

What i meant was in terms of upgrade times.Im guessing for anyone hired today and back to the middle of 2004,that it will be a 7+ year upgrade.I SERIOUSLY believe my prediction.Things are gonna be WAAAAAYYY stagnant guys.Rant on.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the least, surprised by this move by CAL. I like to think that I and others have hinted at this in the past. For the person that I think, said that this could not happen at Eagle.....I would sure hope you know something I don't. Once the likes of Freedom showed up, the groups at places like Air Whisky and Comair became targets. None of us are imune!

Some may ask, why I bring Freedom into the mix? Because that's when I believe managements around the country saw their wet dreams really come to fruitition. It really could be done! Bring these pilot groups to their knees by whipsawing and pay them what we want to pay them not what we can afford. And through loopholes and a few unethical bodies, it was all legal as well! Something I'm sure they always wanted to do, just not quite at the level they desired. What's happening at XJT is good ole classic whipsawing folks. With the threat of giving your flying to countless others unless......cannot be called anything else other that. Same could be said for Comair and whomever else could, might be next.

I say, demand agressive negotiations with CAL to keep those airplanes. Demand as a solid group for a 50/50 loss by both, management and employees of any salary loss. I don't think the battle's over yet by a long shot. CAL has been known to use the media as a threat when negotiating. Best of luck to you guys.....

Latest resources

Back