• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa/usairs Arbitration In !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are exactly right. I wish more people saw it this way. It is a very emotional topic BUT what did east expect? Furloughed pilots brought nothing to the table. As for the last East guy on the list with over 18 yrs on property, did he actually expect to have his RELATIVE position change? Did he expect to come through this with 4 bars on his shoulder? Talk about a windfall! Like it or not it went relative seniority more or less.

I think much of the blame lies with the east merger committee. Not in so much as they didn't try their hardest but in the fact that DOH was a pipe dream from the beginning. The expectations of the East pilots were not managed well and they were led to believe that they could get DOH and capture some of their lost seniority at the expense of a another pilot group who were working for a growing carrier. That was just not going to happen. Someone on the east side should have been preparing the pilot group.

Now I read on the east messsage board of how guys are going to try to shut the company down so the west guys can suffer like they have. And that they should not vote on a new contract no matter what so the company has to operate the two airlines separately. And my favorite, decertify ALPA and reject the Arbitration Award. How short sighted is that? There are not too many jobs that pay 100k to an unemployed pilot that has been an FO all his career. It's time to get over it and move on. We are all lucky to be working.

Well Said !!

Since they would have you believe that they are the Superior more experienced and knowledgeable of pilot groups, lets see if their Leadership can step up and lead the way through this with the voice of reason. They shot for the moon and missed etc. If not and they take the STFD attitude then we will have proof that the west guys were right when they didn't jump for joy at the merger announcement.

Your Shot !!!

Call me stupid, but I used to fly with the 3100 USAir grampa pilots and I don't see them voting a 15-30% seniority improvement to 1800 HP savior of the world wonder kid pilots, at their own expense.

It is simple math. Grampa pilots are always willing to vote for junior pilots to loose seniority and money in exchange for a payoff to them. And grampa pilots were all too willing to vote 2000 pilots off the bottom of the USAir active list in exchange for a payoff.

In this situation Dave has to convince 3100 pilots (who collectively view themselves as senior) to acquiesce to a seniority loss to 1800 other pilots (that they perceive to be junior). The arbitrator’s ruling doesn’t change the fact that there are 3100 pilots who get to vote on when or if the list is effectively integrated.

To get the grampa pilots to adopt what they perceive as a seniority loss to themselves, it will cost a pay raise that I can't imagine Dave is interested in paying.

But who knows, maybe the grampa pilots have changed in their old age or maybe Dave is really a sugar daddy at heart.

I don't know, but I sure as heell wouldn't buy a ticket to be a customer while this is going on.

Dave? Doug? Whoever.

And why should anyone think that the US East pilots will ever work together for their common good? It's never happened in the past.

So, with the widebodies fenced, will the senior USAirways East pilots be able to bump the AWA 757 pilots off their Hawaiian routes? When will East pilots be able to bid West domiciles like PHX and LAS and vice versa? Watch the older East pilots bid sunny Phoenix (pre-retirement) at the first chance.

I love to hear the East pilots crying about their arbitration result. Perhaps they should consider that they were weeks away from LIQUIDATION and the unemployment line? Does that ring a bell? They should consider themselves lucky in my opinion - especially the top 500...

The answer is no they can't. There must be a west vacancy in order to bid out here and our vp/fltops has just stated that there will be no west vacancies for the remainder of 07 at least.

No reason to pound chests over this thing and rub their noses in it. We must take the high road here and be professional.

WD.

Call me stupid, but I used to fly with the 3100 USAir grampa pilots and I don't see them voting a 15-30% seniority improvement to 1800 HP savior of the world wonder kid pilots, at their own expense.

It is simple math. Grampa pilots are always willing to vote for junior pilots to loose seniority and money in exchange for a payoff to them. And grampa pilots were all too willing to vote 2000 pilots off the bottom of the USAir active list in exchange for a payoff.

In this situation Dave has to convince 3100 pilots (who collectively view themselves as senior) to acquiesce to a seniority loss to 1800 other pilots (that they perceive to be junior). The arbitrator’s ruling doesn’t change the fact that there are 3100 pilots who get to vote on when or if the list is effectively integrated.

To get the grampa pilots to adopt what they perceive as a seniority loss to themselves, it will cost a pay raise that I can't imagine Dave is interested in paying.

But who knows, maybe the grampa pilots have changed in their old age or maybe Dave is really a sugar daddy at heart.

I don't know, but I sure as heell wouldn't buy a ticket to be a customer while this is going on.

Then they will simply get left behind while we ratify a contract on this side. They will not hold us hostage while they play out there games. The third part has spoken it's over so lets move on...

BTW who's Dave????

WD.

Last edited:
Merger integration is always a b!tch... I'm sure the airport/hotel vans are going to be lively where the routes and layovers overlap... At least you all have decent jobs.... Imagine what would have happened had Delta been added to the picture - talk about an integration MESS............ It could have been worse.

They don't need to "Shut it down". USAirways will fail on it's own in short order. Better get your logbooks and resumes up to date !

Based on what there partner???

I love how you dime store analyst come out of the wood work with this horse$hit. We were the most profitable carrier last yr and we are doing well this year so far inspite of the bad wx, high fuel and system glitches. So tell us airline business guru why are we going TU in short order???

WD

Wow,

It is a sad day. What a suck place to work now. Sounds like the old Pan Am - National merger. "Integration by expectation". Well maybe not quite the same but man, it's still a chit sandwich.

Now I know why I don't need ALPA to help me here at JetBlue.

Good luck with it.

I should get out of this biz before it's too late.

Dave? Doug? Whoever.

And why should anyone think that the US East pilots will ever work together for their common good? It's never happened in the past.

You are correct. They have not. You won't get 3100 voting US pilots on one list to vote the same way, but they have never failed to have 60-80% on the top work together to hose the bottom.

And there are jsut a few grampas that think there are 1800 new pilots on the list that aren't in the circle of friends. The grampa pilots perceive that a joint contract will cost them a windfall. Maybe it isn't true, but try to tell them.

And if Jack Daniels thinks he can count on the top 500 pilots at US, then he better get busy, cause at the rate of negotiations the top 700 are gonna be retired before he gets a joint TA out for vote.

All these people that talk about the '3100' grandpa's voting this down to spite Parker and the AWA pilots are silly. If Parker wants these two carriers to be operated separately(always a possibility but unlikely with the Feds), than he'll let you play your games. If not, he'll throw out the one thing he knows will make U's pilots fold like Dirk Nowitzki-money. The AWA pilots never had a pension, U did and lost it without much time to make it up with or without 65. Considering what they lost and how much time they have to make it up, anything that will bump up their retirements will trump the rest of this garbage. No need for Parker to negotiate seriously prior to a list merger award, now he knows exactly what he's working with and what he needs to do to get a deal done. The U pilots have been punked for too long, they will fall for money and then go out and spend the rest of the time bitching about the award and litigating.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back