Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Letter to Poolies . . .

Good afternoon,

First of all, thank you for your patience over the last couple of months. I know you have been eagerly awaiting updated information regarding possible class dates. I do have some updated information that I'd like to share with you.

At this time, all previously scheduled new hire classes have been cancelled through October 2005. We do not have any information available regarding the hiring plan for the remainder of the year at this time. As that information becomes available to us, we will communicate it to you.

Undoubtedly, there is a lot of anxiety about the future of the applicants in the pool in light of the announcement that America West intends to merge with US Airways. At this point, we have merely announced our intent to merge. We anticipate the approval and closing of the proposed merger will occur sometime this fall. Having said that, we do not know if or how the merger will affect our plans for pilot hiring. Many of you have been asking questions regarding this subject, and we simply don't have an answer at this time since the merger has not yet been approved. If you have any questions regarding the merger, please visit our website at www.americawest.com. The
press release along with other important information is posted on our site. Be sure to check out the combined America West/US Air route map to see all of the exciting destinations we will be serving!

At this time, we are going to maintain our pilot candidate pool for future
hiring needs. Without any confirmed class dates, we realize that there is a lot of uncertainty. We completely understand that you may have to make decisions that are in your best interests regarding your career. Therefore, if you choose to withdraw from the pool, you can do so and it will not count against you in any way. However, you will have to go through the application and interview process again if you are interested in employment opportunities at some point down the road. If you are in a position to wait for a class date assignment, we would highly encourage that you do so. America West has an exciting future ahead and we would love for you to be a part of our team.

On another note, it is with mixed emotions that I have to tell you that I
have accepted a position outside of America West. My last day with the company will be on June 1st. It was such a pleasure meeting and working with all of you! I wish you all the best of luck in your careers! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly prior to June 1st. Your contacts after that date will be Tammy Kimm, Pilot Coordinator at 480.xxx.xxxx and Tracy Takara, Recruitment Manager at 480.xxx.xxxx.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns that you may have!

Kind regards,

Tiffany Berry
Pilot Recruiter
Recruitment, Selection, and Staffing
America West Airlines

A poolie is not hired until he's on the property. His date of hire does not state when he was placed in the pool, but when he actually starts.

ifly2slo said:
Letter to Poolies . . .
America West has an exciting future ahead and we would love for you to be a part of our team.

On another note, it is with mixed emotions that I have to tell you that I
have accepted a position outside of America West. My last day with the company will be on June 1st. It was such a pleasure meeting and working with all of you! I wish you all the best of luck in your careers! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly prior to June 1st. Your contacts after that date will be Tammy Kimm, Pilot Coordinator at 480.xxx.xxxx and Tracy Takara, Recruitment Manager at 480.xxx.xxxx.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns that you may have!

Kind regards,

Tiffany Berry
Pilot Recruiter
Recruitment, Selection, and Staffing
America West Airlines

Am I the only one that thinks this is funny?

She has this letter bragging about how great the merger will be and then in the next paragraph she's jumping ship!

She's not even willing to wait this thing out yet she's trying to convince you to wait.

Good one

Doug Parker said:
Supposedly, the Foolies in the Poolie should be in class at or before the end of summer with possible hiring off of the street before the year is over.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA
HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

THATS A GOOD ONE

DELUSIONAL.

AWA is a bout to suffer a meltdown if this goes through. Expect a virtual revolt. You're gonna see AWA pilots hitting the streets if this goes through.

Hiring off the street? Are you insane? Do you know how many US Air pilots are on furlough? You're either delusional or ridiculously ignorant.

nitrogen said:
AWA is a bout to suffer a meltdown if this goes through. Expect a virtual revolt. You're gonna see AWA pilots hitting the streets if this goes through.

Hiring off the street? Are you insane? Do you know how many US Air pilots are on furlough? You're either delusional or ridiculously ignorant.

Wow, you are quite the airline expert.

Tell me why you think AWA pilots are going to be "hitting" the streets if this goes through.

We are losing 10 airplanes by December 31. We are taking 13 Airbus through 06 for a net of 3 airplanes. Management has stated no furloughs due to this.

USAir is losing the remainder of the planes through 06. It isn't likely that furloughed USAir guys are going to return in order to send AWA guys to the street.

Come back to reality

If this merger goes through not one AWA poolie will ever set foot on the property and many current AWA employees are going to lose their jobs. That should be obvious to everyone. Their pilot recruiter got fired for a good reason. Wake up. Thhis thing is the worst thing that could ever happen to an AWA employee. The ALPA policy of seniority integration is gonna get pressed and the AWA pilots are screwed on that. Funny that a bankrupt carrier could pull this screw job off.

nitrogen said:
If this merger goes through not one AWA poolie will ever set foot on the property and many current AWA employees are going to lose their jobs. That should be obvious to everyone. Their pilot recruiter got fired for a good reason. Wake up. Thhis thing is the worst thing that could ever happen to an AWA employee. The ALPA policy of seniority integration is gonna get pressed and the AWA pilots are screwed on that. Funny that a bankrupt carrier could pull this screw job off.

1. I'm not talking about the people in the pool. They are probably screwed.

2. Give me facts that the pilot recruiter was fired. Her letter just states that she's leaving for an outside job. AWA doesn't exactly pay their management people competitive wages.

3. Tell me about the ALPA "policy of seniority integration." I've read Section 45 of the ALPA administration manual many times and it doesn't list DOH anywhere in it (which I am assuming by "AWA pilots are screwed on that" is what you mean).

4. How did the bankrupt carrier pull this "screw job off." It hasn't been approved and the Union's haven't even begun to talk.

Dummbbbbilena

Well lets see. The combined carrier will have about 60 fewer aircraft than the two separately have now. Thats an initial estimate. Add the fact that a combining of the overlap will shrink it even more and its a virtual guarantee that some current employess are going to lose their jobs. It isn't speculation it's simple math. The most hilarious part is the gross disparagy that exists between the bottom US AW guy and the bottom AWA guy. The only way AWA pilots wouldnt get screwed is if this was a buyout. That would preserve their career expectations. In a merger they get creamed. Period. AWA pilots are toast.

Cactus73 said:
Wow, you are quite the airline expert.

Tell me why you think AWA pilots are going to be "hitting" the streets if this goes through.

We are losing 10 airplanes by December 31. We are taking 13 Airbus through 06 for a net of 3 airplanes. Management has stated no furloughs due to this.

USAir is losing the remainder of the planes through 06. It isn't likely that furloughed USAir guys are going to return in order to send AWA guys to the street.

Nitrogen, you need to lay off the nitrous man.

I know Tiffany personally, and this had nothing to do with the merger. Period. She was not fired, you need to keep your mouth shut about things you know absolutely nothing about.

ALPA policy of seniority integration. DOH is not part of ALPA's merger policy. That was removed.

The status of furloughed USair guys will be determined at the negotiating table or through arbitration.

Peace....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back