Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain Overs

The merger plans to cut 59 airplanes. Has anyone heard about pilot furloughs? I've heard through the grapevine they are going to try and keep all pilots on property, even though that seems hard to believe. Anyone?

Captain Overs said:
The merger plans to cut 59 airplanes. Has anyone heard about pilot furloughs? I've heard through the grapevine they are going to try and keep all pilots on property, even though that seems hard to believe. Anyone?

Who is THEY? The pilots union? If yes, then no kidding.

Our pilot to A/C ratio is around 6 per plane. That comes out to 354 pilots, if they spread the faze out accordinly, perhaps 18 months or so, it should keep up with attrition.

No way do you have 6 pilots per aircraft. We have 10. something. Do you mean 6 fo's and 6 captains for 12 total???

Our pilot to A/C ratio is around 6 per plane. That comes out to 354 pilots, if they spread the faze out accordinly, perhaps 18 months or so, it should keep up with attrition.

Did you mean 6 pilots per airplane or 6 crews per airplane ? Generally, big airlines operate closer to 6 crews per airplane. At 6 crews per airplane the figure would be 708 pilots. Even so, with USAirways reportedly losing an average of 1.2 pilots per day that would equal 657 pilots over an 18 month period.

The other thing to consider is that a furlough doesn't make economic sense unless the pilot is gone for a minimum of 18 months. This was a figure arrived at by ALPA many years ago. Not sure if that is as accurate today, but if you think about it for a minute it should be something close to that. The re-training costs associated with multiple downgrades and type switching that occur anytime a pilot is furloughed certainly mean that a cost is inlvolved in furlouging. Of course most of today's MBAs probably don't understand that. In any event, with the continual retirement of USAirways and even some America West pilots there should be no valid reason to furlough any pilot currently on the property of either airline.

Also not sure, but the current USAirways pilots would have something close to 5 months of furlough pay coming should they get the boot. Does America West have anything similar ? Just another reason not to furlough. With the large number of pilots leaving per month it would make sense to keep the airline a little over-staffed for a short period if necessary.

TP

Last edited:
Sorry guys I meant 6 crews, which throws my calculations off. Yes its around 10 pilots per plane.

AWA doesnt plan on furloughs (so says mgmt) and I can't comment about the Airways side. Out of the 59 aircraft reduction, 10 are coming from the AWA side. But I have heard conflicting things- that we are taking our scheduled deliveries of Airbusses this year and we would actually be up 3 aircraft in fleet at years end.

Supposedly, the Foolies in the Poolie should be in class at or before the end of summer with possible hiring off of the street before the year is over.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back