• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Supposedly, the Foolies in the Poolie should be in class at or before the end of summer with possible hiring off of the street before the year is over.

Excellent news!! (if it is true of course)

I have read in some of the press releases regarding bases for the new US Airways that Las Vegas will be a "focus city" as opposed to a "major hub". Anyone know what the difference is betwen the two? Could this affect the amount of crews based in LAS?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I don't think anything (new classes) is going to happen till after OCT, and by then I'm afraid that ALPA may start shuffling people around. I hope I'm wrong on this.

OK, just got an updated e-mail regarding future classes from Human Resources at America West for the poolies- it says that no classes will be ran until after the merger is finalized- (not until October at the earliest).

Anyone happen to know the exact number in the pool- I have heard anywhere from 40 to 60 pilots?

Doug Parker said:
Supposedly, the Foolies in the Poolie should be in class at or before the end of summer with possible hiring off of the street before the year is over.

I'm on the outside, looking in and I have no dog in this fight.
But.
Wouldn't it seem fairer to bring back furloughed USAirways guys with perhaps an adjusted (to the current date) DOH before hiring new guys?

oldxfr8dog said:
But.
Wouldn't it seem fairer to bring back furloughed USAirways guys with perhaps an adjusted (to the current date) DOH before hiring new guys?

NOPE - the merger isn't a done deal. The poolies were hired before the merger was ever announced. They should be on property before any furloughees are recalled.

Last edited:
I've only been at U for 20 years and to be honest, I'm not positive , but I seem to remember reading that our focus cities would include a substantial amount of flying with most of it being point to point, as opposed to a traditional hub operation. Hope that helps. I seriously doubt that LAS will shrink.
Formula1 said:
Excellent news!! (if it is true of course)

I have read in some of the press releases regarding bases for the new US Airways that Las Vegas will be a "focus city" as opposed to a "major hub". Anyone know what the difference is betwen the two? Could this affect the amount of crews based in LAS?

Thanks in advance

oldxfr8dog said:
But.

My feeling is that is why no new hires until after the merger. But who knows.

Those of you in the pool should continue interviewing elsewhere if you can. Even if its somewhere that is your second or third choice behind AWA. You can't turn down a job you haven't been offered.

Doug Parker said:
NOPE - the merger isn't a done deal. The poolies were hired before the merger was ever announced. They should be on property before any furloughees are recalled.

One can argue that the poolie's employment is not "a done deal". Is the pool letter like all others and says you are continuing the application process?

Last edited:
Doug, I couldn't disagree more. I'll grant you that without fragmentation rights, the integration will be nothing if not difficult for the furloughees. But to say a poolie, without an actual seniorty number and without being an ALPA dues paying member, should have any rights over a 15 year furloughed pilot is, quite frankly, absurd.
Doug Parker said:

321 busdriver said:
Doug, I couldn't disagree more. I'll grant you that without fragmentation rights, the integration will be nothing if not difficult for the furloughees. But to say a poolie, without an actual seniorty number and without being an ALPA dues paying member, should have any rights over a 15 year furloughed pilot is, quite frankly, absurd.

321 busdriver,

I'm in complete agreement with you. We (AWA and USAir) need to start looking out for every single pilot with a seniority number.

If AWA needs pilots at the end of the year and USAir is getting ready to furlough, then some deal needs to be worked out to bring the USAir guys over to the AWA side instead of the street. They can be stapled for the time being, and their seniority will be determined at a later date during the actual merger discussions/arbitration. But to bring guys on that never had a seniority number when the end result is going to be a combined airline, is just grossly unfair.

If management is convinced that this is the best course for both airlines we can do little to stop the deal. Our best hope is to make the best of the situation and take care of each other. This beast (the new combined airline) has to be successful if any of us are going to have jobs when the dust settles.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back