Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simple

The combining of the two carriers is a merger. It should be a buyout. Thats the only thing that could save AWA career expectations. Under a merger agreement AWA loses major leverage. Look at past mergers among ALPA carriers. If its a merger and you're both ALPA, DOH might not be the end of the tale, but close. It will run along those lines. Which is absurd for a non bankrupt carrier when merging with a bankrupt one. But it won't matter. It's all about what you each bring to the table.. On that basis its about even, maybe even slanted in US AW favor. They have the east coast routes. Reality is lost.

BTW, what is the post merger name of this carrier gonna be??

Oh, thats right US Airways.

Yeah, you'll do well.

LOL.

Cactus73 said:
1. I'm not talking about the people in the pool. They are probably screwed.

2. Give me facts that the pilot recruiter was fired. Her letter just states that she's leaving for an outside job. AWA doesn't exactly pay their management people competitive wages.

3. Tell me about the ALPA "policy of seniority integration." I've read Section 45 of the ALPA administration manual many times and it doesn't list DOH anywhere in it (which I am assuming by "AWA pilots are screwed on that" is what you mean).

4. How did the bankrupt carrier pull this "screw job off." It hasn't been approved and the Union's haven't even begun to talk.

Yeah, you're right

In fact, Tiffany was actually informed her position wouldnt need to exist anymore so she "opted for greener pastures". What the heck is the difference how you posture it. The bottom line is that after this AWA will never have a need for a pilot recruiter ever again. Trust me.

Soulfly said:
Nitrogen, you need to lay off the nitrous man.

I know Tiffany personally, and this had nothing to do with the merger. Period. She was not fired, you need to keep your mouth shut about things you know absolutely nothing about.

ALPA policy of seniority integration. DOH is not part of ALPA's merger policy. That was removed.

The status of furloughed USair guys will be determined at the negotiating table or through arbitration.

Peace....

For the LAST TIME, the NAME OF THE AIRLINE makes no difference!

According to court documents, USAirway's will be brought into America West Holdings under the Barbell name. Current AWA management will control the 13 member board with a majority.

Yes, this is a merger, but you predicting what an arbitrator will find is crazy.

BTW, AWA brings a profitable and growing airline to the table. Yes, growing. Even with the ten airplanes leaving, we are getting 13 new Airbus by the end of 06.

I suggest you read some of the court documents to better understand this deal. I have been reading them and they are quite revealing in the plan behind this deal.

I'm actually surprised that the US Airways name is going to survive. America West has not had the best history with name recognition. Sit around and hear people talk at the airport and you hear "America Worst". But keeping US Airways? I think they should have opted for a new name altogether. But what do I know?

What?

I don't need to predict what an arbitrator will find. I know the setup going in. It's a merger. All mergers are based upon past mergers under ALPA rules. As will this one. US AW will be given at least equal footing in what value they bring to the table. Based on that if you look at all the past ALPA mergers and how they were integrated it doesnt take a crystal ball to know how this one will turn out.

Why do you think this will go to an arbitrator? I think that is highly unlikely. The one thing that could derail this the most is a drawn out squabble between the unions that ends up having to go to arbitration. No, this thing will be settled by the union leadership. And it won't be pretty for AWA. US AW just has too many long suffering employees to take a back seat to AWA in a merger. They're gonna get credit for their longevity at US AW. Mark my words. The writing is already on the wall.

BTW one thing I think you will get is no recalled US AW pilots supplanting AWA jobs. But.......I bet many of them get seniority preference shhould they ever get recalled. You heard it here first.

Cactus73 said:
For the LAST TIME, the NAME OF THE AIRLINE makes no difference!

According to court documents, USAirway's will be brought into America West Holdings under the Barbell name. Current AWA management will control the 13 member board with a majority.

Yes, this is a merger, but you predicting what an arbitrator will find is crazy.

BTW, AWA brings a profitable and growing airline to the table. Yes, growing. Even with the ten airplanes leaving, we are getting 13 new Airbus by the end of 06.

I suggest you read some of the court documents to better understand this deal. I have been reading them and they are quite revealing in the plan behind this deal.

I do believe that you're on nitrogen. You have no idea what's going to happen, just like the rest of us. I realize that you're upset because of the unknown, but rather than spouting off like some expert, which you are not, why not wait and see what happens. I think there will be some healthy fences to protect " career expectations", there are no recall rights ( which I think is wrong, but which our MEC signed off on, effectively screwing the guys on the street), and we have a tremendous amount of retirements happening every year for the next ten or so. So , take another hit of nitro, and try to relax for a while.
nitrogen said:
Well lets see. The combined carrier will have about 60 fewer aircraft than the two separately have now. Thats an initial estimate. Add the fact that a combining of the overlap will shrink it even more and its a virtual guarantee that some current employess are going to lose their jobs. It isn't speculation it's simple math. The most hilarious part is the gross disparagy that exists between the bottom US AW guy and the bottom AWA guy. The only way AWA pilots wouldnt get screwed is if this was a buyout. That would preserve their career expectations. In a merger they get creamed. Period. AWA pilots are toast.

Cactus73 said:
321 busdriver,
Cactus73 said:
If AWA needs pilots at the end of the year and USAir is getting ready to furlough, then some deal needs to be worked out to bring the USAir guys over to the AWA side instead of the street. They can be stapled for the time being, and their seniority will be determined at a later date during the actual merger discussions/arbitration. But to bring guys on that never had a seniority number when the end result is going to be a combined airline, is just grossly unfair.

What would be even more unfair is that U furloughed pilots would end up having more senority at AWA then the poolies would should the merger fail to go thru. Just think, U pilots who currently have no rights to a senority # at AWA, never interviewed/never hired, would get jobs that others pilots have pursued in the traditional manner ie applications and interviews. Now 6 months from now and the merger falls apart what recourse would the poolies have? None most likely. The poolies should be brought onto the property first (prior to the actual merger) and then the furloughed pilots. Otherwise the U pilots who have never even tried to get onto AWA will get jobs that other pilots went through all the hoops required. Now once the merger is "official and completed" I agree that U furloughees should have first shot at any openings.

Last edited:
I really could care less what they call the new airline. Paint the planes yellow, combine the names, it really doesn't matter to anyone at U. Let's face it. Niether airline has that much to brag about when it comes to name recognition. With one VERY important difference. We run a first class operation to Europe, the Carribbean, and Central America, which is where the money is. To have a combined national low cost domestic system coupled with a strong international route system might just be a very good thing. Being a former Piedmont guy, I have no great loyalty to the USAirways name , so to speak, but there are a ton of great guys here and the name does carry alot of weight overseas. And to a person, not one of us goes around beating our chest and drooling about the possibilty of screwing some AWA guy out of his seniorty. In fact, on the line , it's not really being talked about that much. We're all to old to get that excited I guess. Best of luck to all.
Captain Overs said:
I'm actually surprised that the US Airways name is going to survive. America West has not had the best history with name recognition. Sit around and hear people talk at the airport and you hear "America Worst". But keeping US Airways? I think they should have opted for a new name altogether. But what do I know?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back