Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nitrogen said:
The one thing that could derail this the most is a drawn out squabble between the unions that ends up having to go to arbitration.
That's that one thing you've written that has any merit. I don't know what ax you have to grind but it seems nobody from either side trusts your opinion. (I'm the one who should have axes to grind!) Are you a Lowecur alter-ego?

Please see an earlier post reguarding this. So you are saying that a guy that DID pay ALPA dues for 15 years or so, that DID have a senority # , should go behind some poolie that had neither? You're high!
exagony said:
Cactus73 said:
321 busdriver,
Cactus73 said:
If AWA needs pilots at the end of the year and USAir is getting ready to furlough, then some deal needs to be worked out to bring the USAir guys over to the AWA side instead of the street. They can be stapled for the time being, and their seniority will be determined at a later date during the actual merger discussions/arbitration. But to bring guys on that never had a seniority number when the end result is going to be a combined airline, is just grossly unfair.

What would be even more unfair is that U furloughed pilots would end up having more senority at AWA then the poolies would should the merger fail to go thru. Just think, U pilots who currently have no rights to a senority # at AWA, never interviewed/never hired, would get jobs that others pilots have pursued in the traditional manner ie aplications and interviews. Now 6 months from now and the merger falls apart what recourse would the poolies have? None most likely. The poolies should be brought onto the property first (prior to the actual merger) and then the furloughed pilots. Otherwise the U pilots who have never even tried to get onto AWA will get jobs that other pilots went through all the hoops required. Now once the merger is "official and completed" I agree that U furloughees should have first shot at any openings.

321 busdriver said:
Please see an earlier post reguarding this. So you are saying that a guy that DID pay ALPA dues for 15 years or so, that DID have a senority # , should go behind some poolie that had neither? You're high!

So you are assuming that these pilots have never been ALPA members? Maybe they are furloughed pilots from AA, United, ACA, or any number of other ALPA or other union carriers. Maybe they are currently at another airline and AWA is a better fit for them financially, career wise or location wise then they are right now. So YES I do think that until the merger is complete that a poolie should have more priority then a furloughed U pilot who hasn't jumped through all the proper hoops to get hired onto AWA. You are just showing the prima donna attitude that the employees of U are famous for. U and AWA are NOT the same company yet, until then U employees have less of a right to a job at AWA then a poolie like it or not. If U employees wanted a AWA job, you should have sent in an application. Pass the bong because you obviously have some good s#*t!

Last edited:
All pilots currently employed with both companies will all retain there jobs minus normal attrition. The issue here is the integration of recalled US pilots.

1. Recall will not be for a long, long time if ever
2. If it happens, AW guys at the bottom will be there FOREVER...$UCKS!

Until the deal is closed we are two separate companies with separate hiring and/or furloughing needs. It doesn't look likely to happen but if AWA should hire before that point it's appropriate for AWA to hire from the pool. After all, the deal could still fall through. After the closing (anticipated this Fall) Single-Carrier status is inevitable so all hiring should be furloughees even though the seniority lists will not have been integrated yet. At that point of course the poolies are out of luck. Not fair but it's reality.

See, this can be discussed without resorting to insults.

Exagony,

With all due respect, a "poolie" doesn't count for squat. It simply means that you have made it to the point in the hiring proccess, that if or when another class is scheduled, you will be invited to finish the selection proccess and then probably be assigned a seniority number. At many airlines they don't even do a background check on you until you are invited to class. I know of a few guys that were disqualified and sent home after finishing their paperwork during Initial Training.

That said, I think that the pilots at US should be treated with a little more respect on here. Most of them were flying at US Air before many of the AWA guys decided to take their first Discovery Flight in a Cessna 152.

willard said:
All pilots currently employed with both companies will all retain there jobs minus normal attrition. The issue here is the integration of recalled US pilots.

1. Recall will not be for a long, long time if ever
2. If it happens, AW guys at the bottom will be there FOREVER...$UCKS!

It is unfortunate, BUT, and listen carefully on this one. THEY HAVE NO RECALL RIGHTS IF THIS DEAL GOES THROUGH!!!! PERIOD!!!! (LOA 93). Now having said that I do think it would be fair to see that they are recalled before any new hire comes in off the street. I know it sucks for them but that issue should be directed to the U MEC. Obviously they wanted to be in a position to shop themselve around to other carriers. Maybe I'm wrong but what does it cost the company here and now to have recall rights? The only time it would cost them something is during recall (training) or in the event they wanted to be bought or merged. Not all airlines would want to deal with the mess of integrating (cost) the U furloughed. So I suppose the U MEC was pressed to let that clause slip away and now we are in the situation we are in.

Andy

History fixing to repeat itself

How stupid can you possibly be? Can't you see that past history WILL dictate future performance. This isnt a random occurrence genius. Theres plenty of precedent that exists that tells you exactly what will happen in this merger. Your unwillingness to accept it will be your downfall.

I'll put it even more plainly. If I worked for AWA as a pilot I would do EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO STOP THIS. Management is praying you don't see how bad a deal this is for you until its too late. Keep drinking their koolaid.

For you ignorance truly is bliss. I hope there are at least some pilots at AWA a lot more astute than you or youre really screwed.

The only thing that amazes me more is your level of denial.

Good luck with that. And in the mean time try to stop this merger. Maybe when you've been pulling gear for a few years for the US AW guys in the left seat you'll wise up.

321 busdriver said:
I do believe that you're on nitrogen. You have no idea what's going to happen, just like the rest of us. (what a maroon)

I realize that you're upset because of the unknown (what a friggin lemming)

, but rather than spouting off like some expert, which you are not, why not wait and see what happens.(because it will be too late for you by then Einstein)

I think there will be some healthy fences to protect " career expectations", there are no recall rights ( which I think is wrong, but which our MEC signed off on, effectively screwing the guys on the street), and we have a tremendous amount of retirements happening every year for the next ten or so. So , take another hit of nitro, and try to relax for a while.
(youre going down and youre doing it to yourselves. how sad)

TWA dude

Thanks for posting more mindless dribble. Didn't we get rid of you PITA's long ago? I mean the ones that haven't been furloughed have mostly retired I thought. If memory serves we had the wisdom to furlough you personally, so we got that right at least. Please keep your future oral farts to yourself, or at least swallow them. Amazing how I cant fully get rid of those TWA jokers no matter where I go.

TWA Dude said:
That's that one thing you've written that has any merit. I don't know what ax you have to grind but it seems nobody from either side trusts your opinion. (I'm the one who should have axes to grind!) Are you a Lowecur alter-ego?

321 busdriver said:
Being a former Piedmont guy, I have no great loyalty to the USAirways name ,.
(Banging my head against the wall...)
(Banging my head against the wall...)
I beg everyone if this merger goes through, concetrate on the present and the future, not the past. IMHO, too many stubborn people looking back at the past is what held USAir/US Airways from great success. FWIW, I was not original USAir no need to tell you where I came from before it just doesn't matter anymore.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back