Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
xanderman said:
It is unfortunate, BUT, and listen carefully on this one. THEY HAVE NO RECALL RIGHTS IF THIS DEAL GOES THROUGH!!!! PERIOD!!!! (LOA 93). Now having said that I do think it would be fair to see that they are recalled before any new hire comes in off the street. I know it sucks for them but that issue should be directed to the U MEC. Obviously they wanted to be in a position to shop themselve around to other carriers. Maybe I'm wrong but what does it cost the company here and now to have recall rights? The only time it would cost them something is during recall (training) or in the event they wanted to be bought or merged. Not all airlines would want to deal with the mess of integrating (cost) the U furloughed. So I suppose the U MEC was pressed to let that clause slip away and now we are in the situation we are in.

Andy

Could you or someone maybe 321 busdriver, tell me where in the 30+ pages of LOA 93 Transformation Plan it addresses "NO RECALL RIGHTS" since you are so emphatic about this?

vtwin said:
Could you or someone maybe 321 busdriver, tell me where in the 30+ pages of LOA 93 Transformation Plan it addresses "NO RECALL RIGHTS" since you are so emphatic about this?

Page 22 - paragraph 12

no wait - was that page 12, paragraph 22 ????

Hardly worth responding to, but I'll try. I'm not assuming anything with these pilots. If they are furloughed from AA, United, ACA, or any number of other ALPA carriers, then I would say the same thing. They should have rights at whatever company they would be merging with before hiring from some pool. I certainly don't consider myself some prima donna that we are apparently famous for. I think that most of the guys that I have corresponded with at AWA would back me up on that score. And if anyone has gone through some hoops, it would be those 15 year guys that have suffered tremendously. Bottom line for me, if you have a senority number, then you are intitled to some protection. If not you don't.
exagony said:
321 busdriver said:
Please see an earlier post reguarding this. So you are saying that a guy that DID pay ALPA dues for 15 years or so, that DID have a senority # , should go behind some poolie that had neither? You're high!

So you are assuming that these pilots have never been ALPA members? Maybe they are furloughed pilots from AA, United, ACA, or any number of other ALPA or other union carriers. Maybe they are currently at another airline and AWA is a better fit for them financially, career wise or location wise then they are right now. So YES I do think that until the merger is complete that a poolie should have more priority then a furloughed U pilot who hasn't jumped through all the proper hoops to get hired onto AWA. You are just showing the prima donna attitude that the employees of U are famous for. U and AWA are NOT the same company yet, until then U employees have less of a right to a job at AWA then a poolie like it or not. If U employees wanted a AWA job, you should have sent in an application. Pass the bong because you obviously have some good s#*t!

Confirmed, Nitrogen is a flamer!!!!!

nitrogen said:
I'm not a flamer. In time you will se how accurate I really am.

This guy is a flamer. Ignor him and he will go away. A quick look at his post history will confirm he is nothing more than a flamer.

nitrogen said:
Didn't we get rid of you PITA's long ago?
The only PITA I'm familiar with is what my felafel sandwich comes wrapped in. Add hummus, tehina, and harif (hot spices) and you have nature's most perfect food. My personal preference is to go easy on the salad items. How do you like yours?

[QUOTE=321 busdriver]Hardly worth responding to, but I'll try. I'm not assuming anything with these pilots. If they are furloughed from AA, United, ACA, or any number of other ALPA carriers, then I would say the same thing. They should have rights at whatever company they would be merging with before hiring from some pool. I certainly don't consider myself some prima donna that we are apparently famous for. I think that most of the guys that I have corresponded with at AWA would back me up on that score. And if anyone has gone through some hoops, it would be those 15 year guys that have suffered tremendously. Bottom line for me, if you have a senority number, then you are intitled to some protection. If not you don't.
If you have a senority # at U you are not entitled to a senority # at AWA until the merger is final. U is NOT a part of AWA yet and therefore a seperate company. No one made the 15 year U employee stick around after being furloughed by U (you put # in) times. Why shouldn't a AA pilot be entitled to protection at AWA as you seem to believe U pilots should enjoy. U is not AWA any more thanAA, ACA is or United is. As I stated before ,until the merger is finalized U pilots are and should be below poolies. It just sounds like th U pilots salivating over another company's jobs just like when the United merger was attempted. We all know how that turned out. After the merger (if it even occurs)then I agree with you that U furloughees should be brought on before poolies. I am sorry that the 15 year guys made a piss poor decision to work for U but like all of us you never know if you've made the right career decisions until after you retire.

Although the merger closing date is not until September or October of this year, it will be almost a sure thing if the BK court approves the plan and rejects competitive offers.

Once the 30-45 day bidding process is over, which will be in the next month or two, we will know the outcome. The closing date is then just an artificial date set by the banks and money people to transfer control of the company - much like a house closing.

The biding process in BK court is much like the 10 day house inspection period when you sell your home. If nothing comes up and both agree on the deal, then the time to the closing date is when the money is actually secured and the paperwork finalized.

To screw USAir guys and put them on the street and still hire at AWA once the deal is approved by the court and there are no other bidders, is just WRONG!

Captain Overs said:
The merger plans to cut 59 airplanes. Has anyone heard about pilot furloughs? I've heard through the grapevine they are going to try and keep all pilots on property, even though that seems hard to believe. Anyone?

I think retirement attrition at USAirways will keep pilots on the property. The avg. pilot age at Airways is like 55 Years old....they furloghed back to a 1988 hire date.

Once the 30-45 day bidding process is over, which will be in the next month or two, we will know the outcome.

NOT true! All that means is there are no other competing restructuring offers for AAA. The deal will then have to get the blessing of the ATSB, shareholders, government, creditors, etc. which will probably take about 6 months if what I've read is accurate. All this integration bickering could still end up just being wasted breath.

On the upside (for me personally) it sounds like ALPA national won't be supporting a change to the age 60 rule since a majority of the voting membership want status quo. (Didn't national say this vote would be the big determining factor on which way to go?) So if this merger goes through, the high attrition on the AAA side of the "fence" should ease a lot of integration fears as far as I'm concerned.

Saabslime said:
NOT true! All that means is there are no other competing restructuring offers for AAA. The deal will then have to get the blessing of the ATSB, shareholders, government, creditors, etc. which will probably take about 6 months if what I've read is accurate. All this integration bickering could still end up just being wasted breath.

On the upside (for me personally) it sounds like ALPA national won't be supporting a change to the age 60 rule since a majority of the voting membership want status quo. (Didn't national say this vote would be the big determining factor on which way to go?) So if this merger goes through, the high attrition on the AAA side of the "fence" should ease a lot of integration fears as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure Parker/Lakefield have already held discussions with the ATSB and the government. They did this during the ATA deal. Parker has been in Washington quite a bit over the last month. He would not announce a merger without first consulting these people.
The largest USAirway's/AWA creditors are the ones putting up the money - not much objection there. The Gov't has already indicated that there are no anti-trust issues in the deal.
As for the shareholders - TPG is the largest shareholder at 57% - they have signed off on the deal. The voice of the class B stockholders is rather meaningless. TPG has also agreed to convert their "veto" shares to class B once the deal is closed.

Again, I suggest people read the court documents.

I stand by my word that once the bidding process is over and approved by the BK court, this is pretty much a done deal.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back