Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TWA Dude said:
The only PITA I'm familiar with is what my felafel sandwich comes wrapped in. Add hummus, tehina, and harif (hot spices) and you have nature's most perfect food. My personal preference is to go easy on the salad items. How do you like yours?

Amen brotha. The only thing that is just as good is a shawarma pita with tahini sauce. Gotta dig middle eastern grub!

"For regulatory purposes, both airlines will operate under separate operating certificates for a transition period of two to three years, keeping flight crew, maintenance and safety procedures for each airline separate. To ensure that the substantial consumer benefits are realized quickly, however, the airlines will work together to coordinate schedules, frequent flyer programs and other marketing programs as soon as practical".

Above is the exact wording from the Press Release concerning the consolidation of certificates and employees. You can find the regulatory requirements in the FAR's concerning what each certificate holder will be required to maintain.

Im no Rocket Scientist but I have seen the inside of a space capsule for what its worth and I think the boyz with the money are gonna want to get the biggest Bang for their Cash that they can.

This will mean allowing as many as possible of highly compensated pilots to retire between now and the final integration. This will also mean hiring as many as possible of first year pay pilots. It would not make sense to pay labor at 10 to 15 year contract prices when you can get the job done with 1 -5 year contract prices. This is what I believe the reality to be when you look at the dollar cost involved and the statement that the Integration will not happen for 2-3 years.. It has also been stated that a large majority of USAir Pilots will be retiring in the next few years. Im sure this has all been taken into consideration by Mr. Parker as he and others orchestrated this deal. Doug Parker was the first CEO to get financing for AWA post 9/11 and now he is the first to consolidate two carriers into National and International Discount Status. I really dont think he plans to bring back furlougees with 10 year pay status when he doesnt have to. As sad as it is for those guys it just doesnt make sense for the future profitability of this deal.

nitrogen said:
Well lets see. The combined carrier will have about 60 fewer aircraft than the two separately have now. Thats an initial estimate. Add the fact that a combining of the overlap will shrink it even more and its a virtual guarantee that some current employess are going to lose their jobs. It isn't speculation it's simple math. The most hilarious part is the gross disparagy that exists between the bottom US AW guy and the bottom AWA guy. The only way AWA pilots wouldnt get screwed is if this was a buyout. That would preserve their career expectations. In a merger they get creamed. Period. AWA pilots are toast.

Nitrogen ran out of his medication.

Just out of curiosty, what exactly did you mean when you called me a maroon? Are you sure I'm not a red or a green? Oh, you meant a moron? Never mind It's all cleared up.
nitrogen said:
How stupid can you possibly be? Can't you see that past history WILL dictate future performance. This isnt a random occurrence genius. Theres plenty of precedent that exists that tells you exactly what will happen in this merger. Your unwillingness to accept it will be your downfall.

I'll put it even more plainly. If I worked for AWA as a pilot I would do EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO STOP THIS. Management is praying you don't see how bad a deal this is for you until its too late. Keep drinking their koolaid.

For you ignorance truly is bliss. I hope there are at least some pilots at AWA a lot more astute than you or youre really screwed.

The only thing that amazes me more is your level of denial.

Good luck with that. And in the mean time try to stop this merger. Maybe when you've been pulling gear for a few years for the US AW guys in the left seat you'll wise up.

As predicted the Koolaid starts flowing freely

This is hilarious. Yet predictable.

US Airways is about to use another inventive scheme to prolong their lives.

They're about to use the unwitting AWA guys careers to give them a new lease on life. Despite the fact that not one credible analyst gives them even the slightest chance of survival on their own. Their parasitic ways will eventually drain the lifeblood out of AWA as they did to their own company.

Insanely, the whole group here is trying to convince themselves what a good deal this is for everyone. Boy, when reality sets in this is really gonna get good.

Please pass me a glass of this koolaid. It appears to be powerful stuff.

The real ostriches who refuse to see the truth or maybe are afraid the AWA guys are actually gonna catch on call me a flamer.

But if the building is actually on fire its ok to yell "fire".

AWA, US AW wants to burn your house down. Don't let them do it.

WAKE UP. These cheerleaders are from US AW. They want you to save them at your expense. Take the blinders off. You pull them out of the water and put them on your ship and theyre gonna take over and throw you overboard.

Actually, N, I doubt there are any of us at AWA who want this deal to go through. We simply realize that barring any major events it's likely to go through so we're making the best of it. When you post mean-spirited things don't be so shocked when people react to you negatively.

nitrogen said:
The real ostriches who refuse to see the truth or maybe are afraid the AWA guys are actually gonna catch on call me a flamer.

And by "truth" I assume you mean the stuff you've been posting?

I'll believe Doug Parker (the real one) when he said that AWA needs to participate in the inevitible: Industry Consolidation. AWA needs this merger, because they certainly have had little luck in expanding eastward, a la SWA. If AWA were to have been left standing when consolidation started, I believe the "career expectations" of their employees whould have been severly downgraded.

It's business, not personal. Deal with it.

nitrogen said:
AWA, US AW wants to burn your house down. Don't let them do it.

Last Thursday both Lakefield and Parker left me a message on my home phone wanting my approval for the merger. I couldn't get back to them in time to stop it so they went ahead with the announcement.

Nitrogen, you are a fool and total flame bait.

The AWA and USAir guys are along for a ride here. We can't "stop" this merger. We don't run the company, we work for it.

Management has announced their intentions and now we are going to make the best of the situation.

The fact that we want to see the new USAirway's succeed and to fairly protect as many jobs as possible is the best option for us.

So now, I think it is time for you to STFU!

Some of the most successful Businessmen have a knack for finding deals that others dont want or just cant see any merit in and turning them into Great Triumphs. I would not be so quick to say that there is nobody at America West or anywhere else that does not like or want this deal. On the contrary, many people have already put their money where there mouth is and it seems that there are other investors still trying to get in on the deal. I also believe that there are many at America West that truly believe in Doug Parker and his leadership but are somewhat reluctant to state it based on past leadership. Just my .02c Only Time will tell.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back